A Link Between Worlds Is Not a Sequel, But Not a Remake Either

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
A Link Between Worlds Is Not a Sequel, But Not a Remake Either

Nintendo's Zelda franchise boss Eiji Aonuma says the upcoming 3DS title is set in the "same world but in a different generation".

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the upcoming sequel to the SNES's A Link to The Past. Except it's not really a sequel. And it isn't a remake either. Nintendo's Zelda franchise boss Eiji Aonuma talked to Kotaku [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/the-world-of-a-link-to-the-past-has-changed-in-the-new-3ds-zelda/] about how the world of A Link to The Past has changed in A Link Between Worlds, and what both newcomers and veterans to the Zelda franchise can expect.

"It's not a direct sequel in the sense that it's the same Link and Zelda," said Aonuma, "the world is the same and it might be a different generation of Link and Zelda." So... it's a remake then? "They're similar," Aonuma said, "but not identical. This isn't a remake." Aonuma elaborates: "It's the same world, It's the same space. But in the same way that, over time, the topography can change, there will be some changes. The land will be affected a little bit."

Using the example of the game's dungeons, Aonuma said their locations may be the same in both A Link to The Past and A Link Between Worlds, but the interior will be completely different. "Now that I say that out loud, it sounds a little strange," Aonuma admits, but assures us that his team is "making decisions based on what's best for gameplay. We're picking and choosing what we change and what we don't, so players can expect some changes."

"We've added a dimension," Aonuma said, referring to Link's new ability to become a 2D drawing. He noted that it could take a familiar location and let "players see it in a whole new light."

Aonuma previously said that the game will "shock" fans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124671-A-Link-to-the-Past-2-Will-Shock-Fans] with a big surprise right at the start of the game. He also said the game will run at 60FPS while in 3D and feature both the Light and Dark worlds from A Link to The Past.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/the-world-of-a-link-to-the-past-has-changed-in-the-new-3ds-zelda/]

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
So... it's like one of those Capcom sequels/ expansion packs/addons? Am I reading this right?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
So... it's like one of those Capcom sequels/ expansion packs/addons? Am I reading this right?
The Zelda games are all set in the same universe, the only thing separating them is time. Most games feature a different reincarnation of Link and Zelda and the big question was if this Link would be the one from A Link to the Past. Which it apparently isn't. It will still be a full new game but the overworld map will probably look similar to ALTTP. Most likely 100-200 years have passed, or something to that effect.

Well, then there's the whole split-timeline thing going on, but we don't need to talk about that.

OT: Good. I love ALTTP but a direct sequel would feel lazy if anything, new mechanics in a familiar yet drastically changed setting sounds about right. I suppose it fits in the timeline before the Oracle games, so there's plenty of space there.

I was worried when someone first told me about this, I thought it was going to be a remake and ALTTP is probably the zelda game with the most timeless graphics so I really don't see a point. Glad it isn't.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Given that every Zelda game is the same game, remade again and again and again with--at most--superficial differences, it would have been unbelievably refreshing for them to take such a bold, creative (for Nintendo) step as to make a direct, genuine sequel. Good thing they changed their mind on that one--I had actually been excited about a Nintendo game for the first time since ALTTP.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
One thing I am curious about is since it is set after link to the past, will the master sword be in it?

According to the zelda lore LttP was the last zelda game in the "fallen hero" timeline to have the master sword which at the end of the game said it would sleep forever.

I'm just curious if they will somehow shoehorn the master sword in there or if we will get a new sword name.

Ragora

May 23, 2010
bravetoaster said:
Given that every Zelda game is the same game, remade again and again and again with--at most--superficial differences, it would have been unbelievably refreshing for them to take such a bold, creative (for Nintendo) step as to make a direct, genuine sequel. Good thing they changed their mind on that one--I had actually been excited about a Nintendo game for the first time since ALTTP.
You mean like Majora's Mask?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
So, basically, like spirit tracks?

all he could have said was "spirit tracks" and we'd get it

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Great another split in the timeline, another divergence. So in this one does Link meet his mom, who falls in love with him instead of his dad - who point of fact is also named Link - and does Biff "ganondorf" Tannin kidnap Link's mom, thus creating a paradox that could wipe out Link's entire existence? Great Scott!

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Ragora said:
bravetoaster said:
You mean like Majora's Mask?
Or Phantom Hourglass. That was a direct sequel as well.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
lazinesslord said:
I am very curious as to what it is that will shock fans.
licking the battery will shock you.
Or putting a fork into the electrical outlet might also shock you.

On Topic:

But this just makes it a new game right?
Because almost all Zelda games are in Huryle just in different generations, well some could be seen as different "dimensions", but same shit different package, right?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
bravetoaster said:
Yep. Because Skyward Sword plays like Phantom Hourglass, which plays like Ocarina of Time, which plays like Link 2, which plays like, ALTTP... I could go on.

You are wrong, oh so very wrong. Please, play the games before you say bullshit like that.
Don't be ridiculous.

We all know that Wind Waker is identical to Majora's Mask except for the cartoony art style!

OT: It looks pretty awesome already, looking forward to getting hands on with it :p

And no Zelda game has been a sequel, they said it takes place in the same world not that it's a sequel.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Remus said:
Great another split in the timeline, another divergence. So in this one does Link meet his mom, who falls in love with him instead of his dad - who point of fact is also named Link - and does Biff "ganondorf" Tannin kidnap Link's mom, thus creating a paradox that could wipe out Link's entire existence? Great Scott!
Thank you for linking these! XD I didn't know there was more than just the first one!

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Then what was the fucking point!? Is it too hard to ask that we just follow one Link for a couple sequels so I actually feel a motivation to get immersed and emotionally attached? Is it too much to ask that you don't ride on the success and long established love of "A Link to the Past" to push units out the door?

Y'know what? If you're looking forward to this, then power to you, I'm glad. But I'm done with this shit. I'm not putting another £30 or £40 into a Zelda game, because its clear the main motivation for pushing them out the door year on year is to provide a reliable income stream and not to tell a cohesive story or provide an enjoyable gameplay experience, that stuff comes second.