Shouting At Your Computer Doesn't Help

Feb 13, 2008
Shouting At Your Computer Doesn't Help

Myth Busted: Shouting at your computer doesn't improve its performance, just helps your temper.

We've all been there. Whether it's due to those blue shells(NSFW) [http://xkcd.com/290/] or not, we've all screamed obscenities at our computer. But Brendan Gregg from Sun's Fishworks team decided to see what effect, if any, shouting at your computer would have on its performance. He also decided to film it. Why? For science!

What happened? A massive lag spike - enough to take a normal operation from 152 ms up to 1.7 seconds. A jump of over 1000%.

So shouting at your computer just makes it nervous. Perhaps next time you should try a fine wine and Belgian chocolates to improve its disposition.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/02/video-shouting-at-disk-drive-causes-high-latency-low-morale/]

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
Lol was there anyone thinking yelling at your computer helped before Myth Busters got ahold of that.
...wait, I've met people who did think you needed to plug a computer into the wall to make it work.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Oh, then my computer is special. It fears me. It fears the terror of my deadly system restores. *evil laugh*

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I find voodoo works best. A Goat Blood Sacrifice to appease the Machine Gods improves a computer's disposition immeasurably.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I used to yell at my computer. Then one day one of the fans started roaring like a jet engine, so now I can't hear myself even when I'm yelling AT myself.

Machines, man. One day they shall rule us all. Then who'll be yelling at whom?

Well, probably still us at them. But by then our cries shall only be screams of pain, echoing off their unfeeling metallic exoskeletons.

The Animatrix was awesome.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
i refuse to believe that, I will stand firmly by the fact the louder I shout at my pc and the harder i hit it with a stick it will run faster and smoother.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
You may think it doesn't help, but my computer FEARS ME! Er, wait, perhaps it's the other way around?

dead_beat_slacker

Dec 16, 2008
AnGeL.SLayer said:
Alright, now onto kicking things!

^_^
I used to have a saying about kicking things to make'em work. One day a friend of mine got mad at his pc for always locking up on him and deiced to kick it and it started working normally again. He called me the same day and told me that I was right, kicking things does actually work.

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
dead_beat_slacker said:
AnGeL.SLayer said:
Alright, now onto kicking things!

^_^
I used to have a saying about kicking things to make'em work. One day a friend of mine got mad at his pc for always locking up on him and deiced to kick it and it started working normally again. He called me the same day and told me that I was right, kicking things does actually work.
Haha thats highly amusing. Threating to turn my computer into a blender always seems to do the trick as well. I recommend trying it, though it isnt as good as good old fashioned physical force. ;)

^_^