3DS and Vita Expected to Reverse Falling Revenues by 2014

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
3DS and Vita Expected to Reverse Falling Revenues by 2014

A new report suggests that mobile gaming, which includes smartphones, tablets, and dedicated units, could earn $12 billion by the end of the year.

The Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita are gaming`s latest dedicated handheld devices, but they haven't had an ideal reception. Thanks to high prices and small launch libraries, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116974-Nintendo-Records-First-Ever-Full-Year-Loss-in-2011>both systems generated significant losses for their manufacturers, even in an otherwise profitable mobile industry. That said, the prospects for these systems may finally be turning around; according to a report by the IDS and analytic firm App Annie, the 3DS and Vita are expected to reverse their trends of falling average revenues by the end of 2014.

The report states that dedicated handheld units will go from earning $15 average revenue per user in 2013 to $19 dollars within a year and a half. That may not sound like much, but that's actually a higher revenue than smartphones or tablets, both of which are expected to drop to $10 per user. Smartphones and tablets are still earning higher overall profits, and will continue to do so until fans start buying 3DS and Vita systems in the same numbers as Android and iOS devices.

While prospects for the 3DS and Vita may improve, that doesn't necessarily mean they`ll catch up to smartphones and tablets. The actual installed user base for dedicated handhelds is expected to remain steady, while the market for smartphone and tablet games should grow exponentially. All told, App Annie and IDC expect mobile markets to increase from 800 million portable devices in 2012 to 1.2 billion by the end of next year. Approximately 51% of the revenue generated from these devices is predicted to come from microtransactions.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-17-portable-gaming-business-to-top-USD12-billion-in-2013>Games Industry International

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This should come as no surprise. Make games and they will come.

I know a lot of people that have been slowly getting into 3DS/Vita as more and more games have been coming out. The 3DS had a bunch of awesome stuff on the way.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm gonna sound arrogant here and say that we didn't need a report to tell us that people buy good games.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
When Pokemon XY comes out, just watch the 3DS sales rocket up the wazoo. I've already started saving for mine.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I'm pretty sure the 3DS was already making Nintendo a profit months ago.
The Vita is still swirling in utter obscurity.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
And yet I still see no reason to get a tablet. Nor have I seen tablet games I would even consider proper games. My 3DS at least has SOME proper games.

The Vita is still swirling in utter obscurity.
Only in US land. I heard in Japan, which is the only place that really matters for the console, it's faring very well.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Same old complaint but Sony really needs to lower the memory card price.

I don't see myself anymore buying games from them with its current price.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
i use my vita every day and as soon as they release some decent games for it ill be happy also psone classics compatibility would be nice

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Developer support for the Vita has really disappointed me. I honestly don't see it going anywhere, with iOS receiving both XCOM Enemy Unknown and a new Deus Ex game, I think gamers would be better advised to buy an iPad.