George Lucas Says J.J. Abrams Still Hasn't Called

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
George Lucas Says J.J. Abrams Still Hasn't Called

Star Wars creator George Lucas says he hasn't yet spoken with new Star Wars director J.J. Abrams, but he's sure he'll call soon.

George Lucas won a Daytime Emmy Award on Sunday for Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the animated series on which he serves as executive producer, and while it may seem odd that the Man Who Made Star Wars won an award usually handed out to soap opera actors and daytime talk show hosts, he seemed suitably proud of the accomplishment.

But it was his comments about the future of the Star Wars franchise at the tail end of his brief interview with Access Hollywood that were of particular interest. When asked how he felt about passing the torch, Lucas said, "It's great, I don't have to worry about these guys anymore," but also revealed that despite being retained by Disney as creative consultant, he has yet to hear from J.J. Abrams, the current King of Hollywood, who is signed to direct [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121706-J-J-Abrams-Signs-Up-To-Direct-Star-Wars-VII] Star Wars VII.

"I have not spoken to J.J., he's been busy with Star Trek and I'm sure that he'll let me know when he's got some questions," Lucas said. "So, you know, that's all going well. Kathy [Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy] tells me it's working out great."

Lucas may be the fount from which all things Star Wars sprang but he's also been pilloried over the last, oh, decade or so for turning the franchise into a CGI-fueled family-friendly embarrassment. Abrams will no doubt sooner or later pay his due respects to the man that laid the foundations upon which his career is built, but as for plotting the future of the galaxy far, far away, it sounds like George's time is well and truly over.

Source: Access Hollywood [http://watch.accesshollywood.com/video/daytime-emmy-awards-2013:-george-lucas-wins/2483054299001]

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
I'm sure Abrams will ask him many questions, then do the opposite of whatever Lucas says. At least he will if he's got any sense.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
It's pretty clear this is a vote of No Confidence.
I was going to make a joke about how Jar Jar is the one who initiated the vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum, paving the way for Palpatine to become the Emperor (in a nice continuity nod, one of his main rivals in the vote that followed was Bail Organa), but then I remembered that that was Padme. Jar Jar is the one who started the vote for special wartime powers that never actually went away -- so basically Padme paved the way, and Jar Jar is the one who handed him the bloody crown.

The joke was going to be about Abrams' initials.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Charli said:
Good. Maybe JJ actually knows what he's doing with this franchise.
Seriously. Even if Abrams might not be the best person to do Star Wars, he's better than New George Lucas over there.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Research has scientifically proven that an increase in George Lucas has a direct negative effect on Star Wars quality.

Abrams must've read the research.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
It's a funny situation isn't it? If Abrams does what Lucas wants, there'll be uproar from the fans. If Abrams does his own thing, there'll be uproar from the fans. It's almost like they should just have not bothered at all..

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Abrams intends to do his very best in raping and perverting an established sci-fi franchise. He obviously knows what he's doing (he demonstrated his abilities in the last two Star Trek movies) and doesn't need any outside help. Him not calling Lucas is therefore perfectly understandable.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Teoes said:
It's a funny situation isn't it? If Abrams does what Lucas wants, there'll be uproar from the fans. If Abrams does his own thing, there'll be uproar from the fans. It's almost like they should just have not bothered at all..
Or, y'know, that uproar from the fans doesn't seem to hurt the bottom line much.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah, after the sequels you have no idea what star wars is. As for JJ, do what you think is right. Ok, it might suck but at least it will be an original take on it all. More than anything, Lucas sold the rights, so why would anyone talk to him about Star wars?

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
abrams is the king of hollywood? dear god the whole place must be about to implode.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Teoes said:
I don't think there will be much uproar from the fans if he does something differently. Star Wars fans have been abused, exploited, and downright insulted too much over the years to want more of what George Lucas put them through.

Even if the new star wars is complete balls, I will give JJ credit for at least trying something new as opposed to more Jar Jar.

Fraser Fitzpatrick

Nov 1, 2011
Has anyone seen Moviebob's comments about JJ Abrams? I really hope they're not going to keep handing the reins to the "boys club" and let some new blood take charge, at least for some of the spin offs.