Mass Effect Writer Reveals Discarded Ending Ideas

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect Writer Reveals Discarded Ending Ideas

Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer on Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, recently spoke about some of the ideas for the conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy that were considered but ultimately discarded.

The ending of Mass Effect 3, and by extension the entire Mass Effect trilogy, is what you might generously describe as not-universally-popular. I didn't hate it, although my judgment was admittedly blurred somewhat by the emotional impact of the final, ultimate end to Commander Shepard's story, but it sure wasn't the best wrap-up ever, and even now I'm not entirely clear as to what happened, or why.

It is what it is, but as revealed by Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer on the first two Mass Effect games, it could've been something entirely different. In a lengthy and very interesting interview with Videogame Sophistry on AM 640 in Toronto, Karpyshyn talked about a few of the trilogy-ending scenarios that were kicked around while he was still on the job.

"Some of the ideas are a little bit wacky, a little bit crazy," he said. "There was at one point some ideas that maybe Shepard was actually an alien and didn't know it, but we thought that was maybe a little too close to Revan [of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic]. At one point we thought, well, maybe at some point Shepard gets his essence transferred into some kind of a machine, becomes sort of a cyborg and becomes sort of a bridge between organic and synthetic life."

Karpyshyn also touched on "dark energy," a concept that was introduced in Mass Effect 2 but ultimately never went anywhere. "One of the things we considered is that maybe dark energy is something that only organics can access for various techo-science magic reasons, we hadn't necessarily got into that yet. Maybe using this dark energy was having sort of a ripple effect on, for want of a better term, the space-time continuum," he said. "The Reapers kept wiping out organic life because organics would eventually evolve to where they were using biotics and dark energy, and that was an entropic effect that potentially was going to hasten the end of the universe. And being immortal beings, that is something they did not want to see."

"Then we thought, well, let's take it to the next level, maybe the Reapers are looking at a way to stop this. Maybe there's an inevitable descent into the opposite of the big bang, like the big crunch, the end of the universe, and they realize that the only way to stop it is through using biotics, and since they can't do it, that's sort of why they keep rebuilding society. They're trying to find the perfect group to use biotics," he continued. "The Asari were close but they weren't quite right, the Proteans maybe were close, and they kept trying again and again, where all of it's sort of a giant experiment, as they're trying to find the right mix of mental fortitude and biotic ability and whatever else in the genetic code that allows a particular species to use biotics to stop the end of the universe, or maybe ascend into Reaperhood and still keep this biotic power."

They're interesting and potentially solid ideas, but Karpyshyn cautioned daydreaming fans that they're a long way from fully-cooked and likely would've ended up a disappointment for some people anyway. "[Fans] hear a couple of things they like and in their minds, they add in all the details that they specifically want, and they talk about how awesome it is," he said. "And I think it's because people are basically hopeful, and we want it to be great, and so we imagine it to be exactly what we want it to be, but nothing ever is exactly what we want it to be... I'm a little leery about going into too much detail because whatever we came up with, it probably wouldn't have been what people imagine it would be."

Source: AM 640 Toronto [http://www.640toronto.com/HostsandShows/VideoGameSophistry/Story.aspx?ID=1980580]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
anthony87 said:
Jesus he's got a big neck....
You got a problem with that neck shape, dude? Then you've got a problem with ME. <rears up, flexes neck threateningly>

OT: What are the chances that a set of modders are going to say "DONE" and make one of them? It's kind of their schtick.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
See I was never disappointed with the original simply because my favourite thing about the entire ME mythology was the Reapers and the explanation for their motivation is the thing I was worried about being crap. Shepard's ending was almost always going to be crap simply because the classic 'hero's journey' style story the franchise was heading toward is always kind of dull. And I really liked the original Reaper explanation and I actually quite like these too. Either way the Reaper's aren't necessarily 'evil' per-se, it's much greyer than that and there's a lingerig 'greater evil' so it's all good.
Although I did always like the dark matter angle and was a little sad that never got developed further. Write more ME novels Drew... Please...

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
All of those ideas are quite poorly thought out and have less to do with Mass Effect than the actual ending (except of course for the Dark Energy endings, they at least tie into the games). To be honest, I'm still very much happy with the ending we got, and I wish that the internet could move on.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I like how the dark matter ending sounds, but I think the one they decided on works better if they'd executed it better. In fact, if they'd embraced the indoctrination ending I think it would have been brilliant. Failing that, an ending that allowed for a conventional victory if you and an absurdly high war readiness would have helped.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, I remember hearing about the Dark Matter one before. Was a bit mad because they were so planning in ME2 on that being a big thing in ME3, and then.....NOTHING!

Or not...

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
The whole 'dark energy destroying the universe' thing sounds an awful lot like the ending plot to Gurren Lagaan.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Next time they decide a story needs a trilogy to be told they should really have at least some sort of decent ending to work towards from the beginning. That's pretty basic storytelling.

A (competent) author doesn't write two-thirds of their novel before they start seriously thinking about their ending, and they certainly know the ballpark their aiming for from early on. From what I've read on Mass Effect's development Casey Hudson vomited up the ending we got only a couple of month's before the game was due to be printed to disc.

The sad thing with ME, was that the story-telling (while relying heavily on stock elements and cliches) was very good, particularly given the relatively low standard found in the videogame medium*, it was the most appealing element of that franchise and they ballsed it up with that travesty of an ending.

* Not a slight towards gaming, I just think the medium has the potential to not only equal the more traditional forms (like film) but eventually surpass them.

Sep 14, 2009
anthony87 said:
Jesus he's got a big neck....
thought the same thing, i'm not sure if that is a head, or a gigantic thumb attached to his torso. good luck twisting his neck, if that is muscle in there it'll take one strong fucker (e.g. king kong) to choke that bastard.

OT:
neppakyo said:
All of those ideas were better than everything in ME3.
also agreed. fucking star child was the worst idea since...well fuck, quite hard to choose what is actively as bad as it.

I do like the idea of this getting out there though.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I still think the whole "dark energy" thing would've been a terrible idea, and here's why I think that...

My writing is nowhere near any kind of tangible level compared to Mr. Karpyshyn here. But I've done enough research to know that you don't introduce something that major at the very end of a narrative. It's worse than a deus ex machina when you think about it, because instead of a random object showing up to tie up a narrative's loose ends, you have a random [semi-]new concept that can't go anywhere because it only showed up right at the end.

I guess it's whatever at this point. While I personally never had much of a problem (except for that goddamn kid; I DON'T FUCKING CARE! GO AWAY, YOU LITTLE BASTARD!), I know there are still a great deal of people who feel like ME3 personally spunked in their breakfast as they were eating it, so... yeah.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Anti-Robot Man said:
Next time they decide a story needs a trilogy to be told they should really have at least some sort of decent ending to work towards from the beginning. That's pretty basic storytelling.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: I've reason to believe that while BioWare said they planned on making Mass Effect, they weren't sure how to actually continue the story after the first game. It's pretty apparent (to me, at least) with ME2 that they seemed to be making shit up as they went along.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Did someone count for how long nobody mentioned the ME3 ending on this site? I'd like to know if that's the case.

I prefer the ending as it was in the Extended Cut to these ideas. I just wish that we had Harbinger instead of the ghost kid and no synthesis option.

The fan-conceived Indoctrination Theory was even better. Too bad that one turned out to be false.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Those don't sound too bad, obviously not fleshed out enough but not as terrible as a space ghost giving you a choice of which colour you like best and ignoring all of the decisions you made throughout all three games.

To be honest a Scooby Doo ending would have been better. Shepard pulls a mask off a reaper and look! It was old Mr. Jenkins from the sawmill all along! He was just trying to smuggle diamonds on to the Citadel. He wouldn't gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling Normandy kids.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Still a better ending than... oh wait, nevermind. Actually yeah, the original ending does feel a bit better than these half-finished ideas as they stand now.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I just sorta wanted an ending with my character standing on top of Harbinger's lifeless metal corpse, lover around one arm and firing a gun into space with the other hand. All species sort of continue their tension but the whole order of the galaxy doesn't change through some magic green/blue/red light. This is essentially what DAO was and no one complained, in fact everyone sort of liked the ending. You know, the one where the bad guy is vanquished and what you've done during the game actually mattered because it led you to a point where they could be vanquished. DA2's ending sucked because it didn't go that route, it just tried to be "creative" and twist-tastic.

There are really only two ways to write an ending... either plot the story out from start to finish and basically write everything else with the ending in mind, or if you're going to do it as you go along, just make a satisfying ending. Getting too creative with it rarely works. Sometimes it's not horrible, but it's rarely great.