Respawn Releases Titanfall Behind-the-Scenes Video

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Respawn Releases Titanfall Behind-the-Scenes Video

A new video discusses Respawn's efforts to balance Titanfall's robot vs. human combat and fuse the game with single player quality.

There was no shortage of shooters at this year's E3, but for many Titanfall stood out as one of the more interesting upcoming additions to the genre. Dropping players into a futuristic war, it impressed with its unique combat that combines <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10433-Preview-Titanfall-Has-Two-Different-Levels-of-Play>giant robots and more traditional first person foot-soldiering. Now, Respawn Entertainment, the studio behind Titanfall has released a new behind-the-scenes video that shows off more footage and discusses the developer's goals and methods in making the game.

[video=7578 autoplay=0]

Respawn's biggest ambition, according to producer Drew McCoy, is simply to make something fun. "There are so many games now that are just retreading old ground and we just wanted to do something that was so fun and unique we just couldn't put it down ourselves." As easy as that might sound, Titanfall's focus on multiple combat options has required some careful balancing. "We have this unusual blend of scale of Titan's and pilots fighting each other," said Steve Fukuda, Titanfall's director. "Our levels are built to accommodate both the scale needed for a Titan to get around as well a pilot to be able to get to all these different places."

Watching Titanfall in action, it's hard not to get at least a little excited for it. While there is certainly some base allure to giant robots blowing things to smithereens, Respawn also looks to be working hard at giving the game's universe a real sense of purpose and story. At several points in the video, for instance, the developers talk about their attempts to fuse single-player quality with multiplayer fun. Whether or not they'll hit that target is something we'll have to see when the game launches in 2014.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I really love the look of this game, but am I the only one who felt like there was a marketing executive behind the camera there saying 'FUN, TELL THEM IT'S GOING TO BE FUN - EMPHASISE FUN DAMMIT'

Lol :)

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Kiya said:
Don't get me wrong, I really love the look of this game, but am I the only one who felt like there was a marketing executive behind the camera there saying 'FUN, TELL THEM IT'S GOING TO BE FUN - EMPHASISE FUN DAMMIT'

Lol :)
I'm just glad they didn't say TV or Sports.

Titanfall, while still a FPS, looks like a sweet game and is a big lure for XBone. Even better, it's coming to PC for those getting a PS4.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
LOL I just thought of the BEST weapon they could put into this game. You see the mech grab the pilot? They should add a scrambler device that messes up the auto-pilot. If you enter a scrambled mech you get CRUSHED when it tries to pick you up.

This game looks awesome!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Will I have to upgrade my PC? I think so, I hope it's late '14 'cos buying a PS4 will kind of wipe me out.

I bet people will use the titan's like they are going out of style at first, then stick with whichever is more powerful. Come on, you think they will ever balance this? It takes Treyarch and infinity ward a year to get in the ball park same continent of balanced.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
this game looks great but I don't play multiplayer games I really wish it had a single player campaign.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
ryo02 said:
this game looks great but I don't play multiplayer games I really wish it had a single player campaign.
If you have never played it, you should check out Shogo:Mobile Armor Division - it's a very old PC game but one that I still love. I wish that somebody would make a sequel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC4S8zXMxUM

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
ryo02 said:
This reminds me of the game Brink - fingers cross this one doesn't fail. Brink combined multiplayer and single player really well IMO. You have single player cutscenes explaining what's taking place, what your objective is etc, and then you jump into the game with your AI teammates to accomplish it. During the course of the game, friends can jump into your game seamlessly taking control of your AI teammate. You don't have to leave your single player game to join your friend's multiplayer game.

The combined gamemode go beyond "kill those guys." They have ever changing objectives that the team has to work toward. For example, there are different classes and each class has unique abilities. One mission began with you needing a soldier to plant explosives on a gate in order to destroy is so that a bomb disposal robot could get through. Only 1 class can plant the explosive charge. If the objective wasn't being completed, the game would reward you with extra XP for changing to the class. Once the bomb is armed, the other team needed the engineer class to defuse it. If you couldn't breach the gate, the mission ended and the story proceeded based on whether or not you were successful.

It may be something similar here with regard to there being multiplayer objectives (capture the case, guard the VIP, destroy the mainframe), but they may exists within the context of the story.