Shigeru Miyamoto Draws A Blank On Next F-Zero

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Shigeru Miyamoto Draws A Blank On Next F-Zero

Despite being a legendary game designer, Super Mario Bros. creator Shigeru Miyamoto has no idea what to do with the next F-Zero entry.

Do you like driving at the speed of sound? Do you like physically impossible loops scattered around your racetracks? How about Captain Falcon; You like him, right? Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll be returning to the world of F-Zero anytime soon.

"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," states Nintendo's resident game design deity Shigeru Miyamoto. "I think where I struggle is that I don't really have a good idea for what's new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don't know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."

That anti-gravity bit mentioned by Miyamoto can be found at the :35 mark of the recently-released debut trailer for Mario Kart 8 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7531-Mario-Kart-8-E3-2013-Trailer], and he's right, it does look like an idea lifted from F-Zero.

It should be stated that despite Miyamoto's claims, we have no doubt that a new F-Zero will eventually emerge. Maybe the developers don't know exactly what to do with the game currently, but given enough time they'll come up with something. Kid Icarus lay dormant for more than two decades before Nintendo cobbled together a new title for that franchise, and this is Nintendo, after all: The company can't not create sequels to first-party franchises. That's basically the firm's life blood.

Intriguingly, Miyamoto addresses this point in a roundabout way by discussing the pressure on Nintendo to continue churning out familiar classics.

"It's tough," he states. "We come to [E3 2013] and we bring a lot of great franchises and everyone says, 'Oh, well, where's this game that I want to play? Where's something new?' I only have so much capacity."

Obviously in the past we've tried to work with other companies, where we've let them develop games for us in franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero, but the more we think about it, the more we prefer to be able to create those games internally, on our own. We've obviously, as I mentioned, been working on what we can do to increase our internal staff in a way that will allow us to have more projects going at the same time, so we can create new games and work on additional old IP and still maintain the other primary franchises that people want to see."

So there you have it: Nintendo isn't going to be making a new F-Zero soon, and neither is anyone else. Try not to be too broken up at this news.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/20/dont-get-your-hopes-up-for-f-zero]

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I can see that Miyamoto is so spent after coming up with even more soulless Mario games. Must take a lot of effort to make things so utterly bland.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It´s such a shame, cause they really just need to make new levels, new music, better graphics and some kind of exciting campaign structure and they would have a great game. I would buy it and i would honestly prefer it if they kept the gameplay as close to the Advance versions of the games as possible, cause i love those games and there really aren´t that many alternatives out there at the moment.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Ghonzor said:
I can see that Miyamoto is so spent after coming up with even more soulless Mario games. Must take a lot of effort to make things so utterly bland.
Or maybe it's because he'd rather come up with an interesting plot or have something fresh for the game instead of giving fans of the series $60.00 worth of mediocre bullshit.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Ghonzor said:
Or maybe it's because he'd rather come up with an interesting plot or have something fresh for the game instead of giving fans of the series $60.00 worth of mediocre bullshit.
Given Nintendo's track record, I'm sure he has absolutely no problem making fans pay full price for mediocre bullshit.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well if we can't get a new F-Zero, could we get a new Star Fox? ... Please?

Or at least release Star Fox 2 on the Virtual Console?

No?

Yeah... I figured that would be the answer.

/sigh

Seriously, a new Star Fox alone might be enough to get me to finally seriously consider buying a WiiU.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Ghonzor said:
Dragonbums said:
Ghonzor said:
Given Nintendo's track record, I'm sure he has absolutely no problem making fans pay full price for mediocre bullshit.
No, he doesn't.
A very very large amount of people who review Nintendo games- whether they like their franchises or not have given those games some pretty high scores because while they may not LIKE those games, they can't deny that it isn't fun or of high quality. Clearly that isn't mediocre bullshit.

Miyamoto hasn't made a Pikmin game for 9 years. Why? Because he was brainstorming what to add to the series to make it legitimately fresh. He wasn't going to slap a Pikmin game on there because everyone asked for it.

Making an F-Zero game that has nothing new to it, nothing to add to the experience to an F-Zero game is a slap in the face to fans who have waited a long time for a new game.
He has enough respect for his fans that he isn't just going to give them a graphically updated version of the game and charge them $60.00

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Kalezian said:
Dragonbums said:
Ghonzor said:

and yet people keep buying them, so why would they try to make something new?

It's true though, why could they do to make F-Zero refreshed?

Make it 3D? sure, but it would be the exact same as the old games.

But really, Kid Icarus gets a new game, but some better franchises are still collecting dust, just get developers to help with your games Nintendo!

YOU WILL MAKE MONEY, THE 3DS IS MORE THAN ENOUGH EVIDENCE.
Nintendo seems to have a long list of games they put in the hands of other developers and they somehow manage to royally fuck it up.
Other M, CD-i games, Starfox Adventures... so I think they'd rather do it themselves for the most part.
Also from what I've heard the new Kid Icarus games were really good, and added something new to the series. You know...as opposed to being a blatant remake.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'd like a Mario Kart and F-Zero crossover game.

Or a Super Smash Kart with all Nintendo franchises in various types of customizable vehicles.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
A new F-Zero doesn't need something to set it apart. It doesn't need innovation. It needs great graphics, great music, well-designed tracks, and all the damn polish you can give it. Hell, even an HD remaster of F-Zero GX would be amazing, given there's not a single game in the series available for the systems you're currently selling.

But if you absolutely must add something new, it could be as basic as online multiplayer.

SkarKrow said:
Well then could I ask you to kindly let Sumo Digital deal with it?
After how utterly amazing Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was, I'm inclined to agree. Admittedly, F-Zero would have to be very, very different from that, but a lot of the core principles (particularly in making a balanced game) still apply.

P.S. Thanks

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Covarr said:
A new F-Zero doesn't need something to set it apart. It doesn't need innovation. It needs great graphics, great music, well-designed tracks, and all the damn polish you can give it. Hell, even an HD remaster of F-Zero GX would be amazing, given there's not a single game in the series available for the systems you're currently selling.

But if you absolutely must add something new, it could be as basic as online multiplayer.

SkarKrow said:
After how utterly amazing Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was, I'm inclined to agree. Admittedly, F-Zero would have to be very, very different from that, but a lot of the core principles (particularly in making a balanced game) still apply.

P.S. Thanks
Yeah pretty much. I trust Sumo to deliver. I reviewed Sonic & All Stars Transformed, it lives over in user review and on my website/blog.

It's amazingly good.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Covarr said:

Nintendo, and Miyamoto in particular, don't like doing that. They don't like just updating the graphics and throwing it back out there. Even when they do it such as with the Zelda games they always go out of their way to add something to improve the game and get rid of the flaws (a dedicated button for Iron Boots in OOT 3D and a faster boat for WindWaker HD for example).

They do it with the New Super Mario series because a LOT of people want retreads of classic Mario (don't even pretend they don't. Sales numbers don't lie) where as F-Zero has always been a bit more niche.

I really don't understand why so many people hate Nintendo on this site. All they want to do is take time to make great games, and if they can't think of good ways to improve a series then they usually don't. Do people REALLY want the same game over and over? Because that's one of the biggest complaints I hear on this site, "Oh Game X is just the same as Game Y, nothing new, waste of money" and yet when a company says they want to take the time to improve and make something new and interesting everyone loses it because they just want "Game X : More of the SAME!"

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Please this. I loved All Stars Racing Transformed waaaay more than Mario Kart Wii and I liked it as much as 7. Sumo can deliver when it comes to racing games, which is funny because I don't really like racing games at all.

Heck any F-Zero game would be nice really...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
SkarKrow said:
Please this. I loved All Stars Racing Transformed waaaay more than Mario Kart Wii and I liked it as much as 7. Sumo can deliver when it comes to racing games, which is funny because I don't really like racing games at all.

Heck any F-Zero game would be nice really...
Man I hate racing games but I adore S&ASRT, I found Mario Kart Wii mostly frustrating and 7 was decent but still not as good as good ol' Mario Kart DS was back in the day.

Sumo really got a good balance with the weapons and a great sense of speed whilst maintaining great control and a primarily skill driven experience.

Really though, hate racing games. Partially because I suck at them unless it's karting or burnout.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Kalezian said:
Dragonbums said:
Ghonzor said:

and yet people keep buying them, so why would they try to make something new?

It's true though, why could they do to make F-Zero refreshed?

Make it 3D? sure, but it would be the exact same as the old games.

But really, Kid Icarus gets a new game, but some better franchises are still collecting dust, just get developers to help with your games Nintendo!

YOU WILL MAKE MONEY, THE 3DS IS MORE THAN ENOUGH EVIDENCE.
But the thing is, there´s so few available F-Zero games out there, why does it need to be refreshed? it really doesn´t need much more than new graphics and interesting levels.