183: Steady Hands Save Lives

Rich Retractor

Jan 5, 2009
Steady Hands Save Lives

The most highly publicized psychological studies on videogames usually examine the connection between virtual and real-world aggression. But one line of inquiry focuses on an entirely unrelated question: Could videogames make people better surgeons?

Read Full Article

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Too bad, I was really enjoying the "NO LET ME PLAY FALLOUT I AM GOING TO BE A MASTER-CHIEF SURGEON ONE DAY, RESEARCH SAYS SO" angle.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Good read. Back when I was a line cook one of the ways I improved my speed and quality was by pretending I was playing Starcraft. Making sure I had enough sauces in my station, enough units on the grill, and all those other multi-tasking skills saved my butt from getting fired.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
L.B. Jeffries said:
Good read. Back when I was a line cook one of the ways I improved my speed and quality was by pretending I was playing Starcraft. Making sure I had enough sauces in my station, enough units on the grill, and all those other multi-tasking skills saved my butt from getting fired.
You require additional patties.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
FTA:
"In the end, I'm growing weary of these relentless attempts to justify ex post facto my leisure time."

Hell yes. It's my leisure time, I don't have to justify any goddamn thing to anyone.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Video games might not help enhance any useful skill, but it sure as hell improve your murdering skills, according to researches!
I think the only angle that video games might end up benefiting anyone would be in dealing with pressure. A mental run through of a task can definitely help prepare you for a task to a certain degree, simply because you have been in a few scenarios before. But I doubt it will increase your motor skill enough to be of a difference in anything you need to do in real life.

anguaji

Jul 22, 2008
skills learned in games may be valuable, but i have a couple of friends who can blast up a storm, but whose handwriting looks like a 10 year old's.

mnimmny

Aug 25, 2008
Bruce Geryk!? But how much do wargames contribute to steady hands?
Also, aren't doctors famous for having chicken-scratch as handwriting?

Reaces

Jul 3, 2008
When it comes to the people who have a history of gaming being better at the simulators but only to a certain point I believe it might be because after a certain point your skill in a game doesn't improve that much due to your own individual capabilities but because your understanding of said game improved.

It might be possible that the learning curve for people who have a history of gaming is less steep and starts a few steps higher than people who aren't interested in games.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Video games might not help enhance any useful skill, but it sure as hell improve your murdering skills, according to researches!
They do improve hand-to-eye coordination. Thanks to FPS games I'm a better marksman than my father with military and police experience. And I'm only a bit worse than my cousin forester (in Poland they are required to be expert marksman using a scoped or sniper rifle).

For non-English speaking people, games are the first step to learning a new language. I started learning English by playing computer games (Arcade America, Diablo 2), watching English cartoons and listening to what people say in English.

When I got to 1st grade I was waaaay ahead of anyone in my class. In fact, when it comes to English, I'm one of the best students in my class. And from then it was easy to learn the basics of German and now Spanish.

ShortCommings

Jan 5, 2009
i dont think it bears any actuel resembelenceto the topic in general but i have my tenouse linkes here godammit!

i read somewhere.. (this is topnotch research on the internet im told xD) that they were using unreal tournament as a way to stop burn victims from remembering theyve been turned into a kebab. not sure how this works but i once went on the wow diet and i forgot to eat.. think computer gaming has many ways to help medicene.. just tbh do you want a CS freak working on your bodily parts?