DICE CEO Sees Life Left In Current Generation Consoles

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
DICE CEO Sees Life Left In Current Generation Consoles

Don't mothball your current consoles just yet: DICE CEO Patrick Söderlund believes they'll be viable gaming machines for a couple more years.

With the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on the horizon, it's very tempting to call our current generation of gaming hardware obsolete. We've been waiting seven years for new consoles, and now that they're almost here, it just makes sense that one might want to stuff his or her old toys in the closet. That'd be a mistake though, as DICE CEO Patrick Söderlund believes that these machines will remain a viable focus of the industry for the foreseeable future.

CVG interviewed Söderlund and asked how he views the immediate future with regards to cross-generation games (ie, those titles that are released during what will be known as the Xbox One/PS4 era but are designed for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360).

"Ultimately, the volumes of hardware will dictate that," Söderlund tells CVG. "So the consumers tell us when we can move on."

"Right now, it's always this way in the first wave where the majority of sales will still be on the old consoles - that's just how it is, because there's not enough installed base on the new machines yet."

"Historically the first year out most titles have been cross-gen, then the second year there's less and less, but in year three you'll probably see everything apart from maybe one or two games in the industry on that end. So I think it will take about 18 to 24 months to get to full gen 4," he adds.

Assuming Söderlund is correct - we have no reason to doubt the man as his role as DICE CEO means that he's got the inside track at publisher and DICE parent corporation EA - that gives us until roughly the holiday season of 2015 to enjoy our extant consoles. Grand Theft Auto V, Assassin's Creed IV and Gran Turismo 6 are all en route to current gaming hardware, so that should keep us entertained until the industry has fully shifted to the next generation.

The moral of this story? Don't ditch your old consoles just yet. You'll almost certainly regret it.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416002/interviews/interview-eas-patrick-sderlund/]

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
"Plenty of life left in the PS3 and 360! But not the Wii U, we ditched that almost immediately because REASONS."

They're such hypocrites they don't even know what they're supposed to pretend to be against anymore.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I'll most certainly not have 2 huge microsoft boxes under- and 2 oversized cameras on top of my TV and I'm also not keen on scrapping my entire 360 library just yet.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Well, i´m not going anywhere^^. I´m probably not going to even consider buying a new console the next couple of years and why would i? There are no games for the new machines and the small selection of available games are expensive as fuck. Nah, i´m going to wait for a long time and then i´ll probably buy a ps4 and pick up some cheap games on the side. Until then, there´s plenty of life left in ps3, heck i´m not even done with ps1 and 2 yet and with the recent discovery of cool wii games, i´m in no hurry to move on.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Of course they will remain relevant. GTA V is coming out this year.

Although I'm almost certain that Rockstar will announce a next-gen version when they announce the PC version.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
At the same time, if you buy a game that's available on both generations, the PS4/Xbone version will almost certainly be better. Just because it's on both generations doesn't mean the newer one should be ignored.

P.S. Thanks

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
There is loads of life left. Im also happy with the graphics we have now. I want better games, not better graphics games. Now i wouldnt say i dont care about shitty graphics, but i like the graphics on 360 for Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3...difference is FC3 was awesome, C3 was a boring linear game. I dont know what PC people think about those games, but i would think they feel they same regardless of the PCs awesome graphic abilities. Maybe a few companies can released games with a great story now that the gaming world is looking towards next gen. :)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Oh I have no plans to get rid of my consoles, this generation, last or any. Although my TV is starting to get alittle crowded :-(

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
What happened to people literally dying because there wasn't a new console generation out? Where did all of that go? Don't tell me they made it up?!!!??!!!111

But seriously, I just want some decent games again...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Jeez, the new plastic boxes are months away and people are talking about getting rid of our trusty old plastic boxes already.

Also, if most of us are getting the new consoles anyway, what is the point of keeping the old ones around? Cross generation means I'll be able to play the newest games on my new console

Or, you know, my PC.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I'm beginning to like DICE more and more
[sub]DON'T FUCK UP MIRROR'S EDGE 2[/sub]

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
well it makes sense there are going to be way more current gen consoles in the world than xboxone and ps4 for a while yet

and they probably don't have to worry about people retiring their consoles when their is no backwards compatibility

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Throw away my Demon's Souls machine? Crazy talk.

Why do some people act like the previous generation is gonna evaporate over night? It takes a while before something worthwhile is published and make proper use of the hardware anyway. I wouldn't mind a tarted up Demon's Souls on the PS4 or even a Vita version would be enough to get me to buy the Vita.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
"So I think it will take about 18 to 24 months to get to full gen 4," he adds.
You heard it here first, folks! Battlefield 4, coming to Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo Systems EVERYWHERE!

Neo-Geo version TBD.