Richard Matheson Dies at 87

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Richard Matheson Dies at 87

One of modern horror's most influential creators has passed away.

It's pretty safe to say that everyone here, at some point, been affected by the work of Richard Matheson. As one of the premiere horror and science fiction writers of the 1950s and 60s, Matheson either personally crafted one of your nightmares, or inspired someone who did. Known in particular for I Am Legend, The Shrinking Man, What Dreams May Come, and several memorable Twilight Zone episodes, Matheson was a defining force across literature, television, and film. Unfortunately while his work has thus far proved immortal, Matheson was very much a man, and has passed away at the age of 87.

I Am Legend is arguably Matheson's best known work, detailing the physical and psychological struggles of a lone human in a world of vampires. George Romero later named I Am Legend as a major inspiration for Night of the Living Dead, connecting Matheson to just about every zombie apocalypse story that followed. Matheson also penned several episodes of the original Twilight Zone, including William Shatner's iconic Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, and Steel, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/4777-Real-Steel>which was adapted into 2011's Real Steel. Perhaps his greatest contribution however was the inspiration provided to a generation of writers. Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Anne Rice, and many more have named Matheson as a major influence on their work, while <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Matheson#Personal_life>three of Matheson's four children became writers themselves.

Matheson had a rare impact in the literary world that will continue long after he, and perhaps even we, are gone. For that, he will be deeply missed.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/r-i-p-richard-matheson-author-of-i-am-legend-and-many-564036878>io9

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Whilst it's very sad that he's gone, 87 is a good score, plus he can't dream up anything else to terrify me at an existential level now...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Wow, this guy is totally responsible for my initial phobia of flying... And damn it was torture for years because as a child I had to fly between parental custodies on school vacations. Not fun until I broke through it.
Still that shows just how good of a writer this guy was.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Whilst it's very sad that he's gone, 87 is a good score, plus he can't dream up anything else to terrify me at an existential level now...
Unless there's an afterlife, and he's paying attention. Then you are SCREWWWWWED.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
don't tempt destiny, son
you might just get his ghost to haunt you

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Literally went awwwwh. This is sad news but not as sad as it could've been considering the fact I already thought he was dead... Oh well. R.I.P. Matheson, you are Legend.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Masterful writer he will be missed reading I Am Legend for my literature and film class last year was one of my most enjoyable experiences of that year. I guess he can see if he was right when he wrote What Dreams May Come.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
That Shatner episode of The Twilight Zone is still pretty spooky even today... Simply reading that he penned that episode made me realize what a talent we have lost.

So, celebs always die in threes, Gandalfini, Matheson, and who next?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
His best work was probably "Hell House", which to me is the standard by which all stories about haunted houses and paranormal investigations should be judged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_House_(novel)

It differs a bit from the movie that was based on it, and was quite clever in my opinion. I don't want to spoil it though for those who might not have read it...

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
A real shame, to know that someone influential on the original Twilight Zone series which I'm a fan of has passed away. Just a few days before the new year we lost Jack Klugman who was a regular on the show and now we lose one of the more influential writers, that's really unfortunate.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
And so passes the only man who could make Captain Kirk afraid of flying.
87, though. And four kids. And famous people using his name. I'd say he did a pretty good job.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Much love to him for inspiring the Incredible Shrinking Man, The Omega Man and Night of the Living Dead. I never read any of his work but I've enjoyed so many other works influenced by him. Inspiring to see what enjoyment you can bring to others by sharing your imagination.