NFL Punter Changing Name to "Warcraft"?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
NFL Punter Changing Name to "Warcraft"?

Star NFL punter Chris Kluwe is trying to spice up his position with a gaming name-change.

When your position's primary role is surrendering the ball to the other team on fourth down, you're not typically the most admired player on the gridiron. Such is the life of the NFL punter.

Minnesota Viking's Chris Kluwe, an avid Guitar Hero and World of Warcraft gamer, won't settle for smashing NFL and team punting records to fulfill his dreams. Following in the footsteps of another player, Johnson joked on his personal radio show in Minnesota that a name change could draw attention and advertising dollars.

"Back when [Bengals receiver] Chad Johnson changed his name to Ocho Cinco, I told the guys at 93X that I was going to change my name to Chris 'World of Warcraft'. They said that's too long. So they started calling me Chris 'Warcraft.' I could make a lot of money if I changed my name to that."

Perhaps this epic name change will get the punter some attention for being the team's best punter in history at the young age of 27.

"When I come in, it's pretty much a signal for everybody to get up, grab a beer and go to the bathroom," he noted. "But that's the life of an NFL punter, I guess."

Source: Star Tribune [http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/36857999.html?page=1&c=y] via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5120697/vikings-punter-considers-changing-his-name-to-world-of-warcraft]

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Sort of like the guy who put "Megatron" into his name. Hehe.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
s0ap sudz said:
Why would you grab a beer and THEN go to the bathroom?
Your alimentary canal obviously doesn't work in the same direction as mine if you can't understand that this is the correct order for those operations.

goater24

Feb 5, 2008
There was a guy who changed his name to London Bridge who got into trouble with the police for advising them of his name when he was pulled over. They thought he was taking the piss lol bridge.

s0ap sudz

Aug 28, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
s0ap sudz said:
Your alimentary canal obviously doesn't work in the same direction as mine if you can't understand that this is the correct order for those operations.
It was a joke. The way he said it sounded like he was taking a beer into the bathroom with him. CantFaketheFunk understood that...

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
BudZer said:
Don't people on special teams realize that nobody cares about them?
Don't people on any football team realize that nobody cares about them?

...Or at least I don't, and I'm at least as important as the rest of humanity.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Thus confirming that punters, field goal kickers and their ilk are still strange fellows.

If not quite as screwy as Ocho Cinco, formerly known as Chad Johnson.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
BudZer said:
Don't people on special teams realize that nobody cares about them?
Beut they have "special" in their name. And I actually have a Feagles jersey because he's the Giants unsung hero and model of consistency.

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
As a Vikings fan, I have to say I fully endorse this decision.

I just really hope that Vikings.com sells the #5 "Warcraft" jersey. I'd be all over that.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
s0ap sudz said:
SaintWaldo said:
s0ap sudz said:
It was a joke. The way he said it sounded like he was taking a beer into the bathroom with him. CantFaketheFunk understood that...
Um, mine was a joke as well. Humor cop.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Graham said:
As a Vikings fan, I have to say I fully endorse this decision.

I just really hope that Vikings.com sells the #5 "Warcraft" jersey. I'd be all over that.
Seconded.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
My kid is getting the middle name of "Skywalker!"

I really couldn't care less about people changing their names. If it makes them happy, sells a couple shirts, and increases popularity, the go for it!

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
This reminds me of the fireman who changed his name to Optimus Prime.
http://akugel.wordpress.com/2007/04/06/man-legally-changes-name-to-optimus-prime/

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"Warcraft" just so happens to be ancient Scandinavian for "He who is a big nerdy attention whore"

EXPLICITasian

Dec 14, 2008
I guess it'll make him feel special, considering on average the other players on the team make 500% more than he does.