WWE 2K14 Trailer Ushers In The 2K Era Of Wrestling

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
WWE 2K14 Trailer Ushers In The 2K Era Of Wrestling

2K Sports now controls the WWE pro wrestling license, and the company just debuted the first trailer for the upcoming WWE 2K14.

For years THQ was the sole publisher with the rights to make games based on Vince McMahon's pro wrestling empire. With THQ's financial collapse however, those rights were picked up by 2K Games, publishers of almost every non-EA sports title of note. WWE 2K14, the first wrestling title from 2K Sports, won't hit shelves until October 29, but as you can see from that clip embedded at top-right, 2K was kind enough to issue a proper debut trailer for the title mere hours ago.

While we appreciate the live-action video portions of the clip - Dwayne Johnson is infinitely charismatic in anything - the game itself looks very similar to THQ's WWE '13. This should come as little surprise as developer Yuke's had created the basis for WWE 2K14 while THQ still controlled the license, and 2K Sports' contributions to the game largely arrived after the majority of the title had already been cobbled together. As a result, we expect WWE 2K14 to play similarly to past THQ-branded games. Further, we expect any major gameplay changes 2K may have planned for the series to appear in the inevitable WWE 2K15.

With all that in mind, are you excited to see a new company take a crack at virtual pro wrestling? Or is this year's edition of the game simply too similar to its predecessors to impress you? Comments below. Do your thing.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9axR4gBYg]

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I'll wait for future trailers but if I do get this I'll probably wait for a price drop

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Haven't watched the stuff in years, but wrestling games are always fun to play when my buddies get together. Gonna pick it up.

Oh, and Macho Man? Hell yeah!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Gotta say, I hope the only reason Yukes were kept on for this year was because they'd done most of it already, really needs freshening up, and now it's in the hands of 2k, there's a good opportunity for it.

Going to wait for a price drop on this one, if I decide to pick it up at all.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I love the idea of a wrestling game but WWE games are so fucking slow. Always so slow and the stance the wrestlers take during a match is really unnatural and odd, its impossible to have the speed seen in great matches. No wrestling matches are as slow as the video games.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
ProtoChimp said:
I love the idea of a wrestling game but WWE games are so fucking slow. Always so slow and the stance the wrestlers take during a match is really unnatural and odd, its impossible to have the speed seen in great matches. No wrestling matches are as slow as the video games.
Do you like the older arcade games more? If so, check out WWE All-Stars. It was a lot more fast paced and arcade-y. It's the only wrestling game I've played since Smackdown vs. Raw 2006. Man that was a good game...

Mar 26, 2008
What's with Shawn Michaels doing a shoulder press into his Sweet Chin Music? There's also a lack of CM Punk in the trailer, which is a bit bizarre when they're talking about words speaking as loud as actions.

On the plus side I does have the Macho Man. I just wish the graphics weren't so dated.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
kburns10 said:
ProtoChimp said:
Do you like the older arcade games more? If so, check out WWE All-Stars. It was a lot more fast paced and arcade-y. It's the only wrestling game I've played since Smackdown vs. Raw 2006. Man that was a good game...
That game was awesome but I mean one more like the Smackdown vs Raw and WWE '12 and '13 style, I don't wanna say realistic cos I'll get spammed by people informing me, most likely very rudely, of how wrestling isn't real but you know what I mean.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Im not impressed really. Having said that, Ive not played a wrestling game since the n64...

Lets see if they can do something good with the UFC titles. I liked the first 360 UFC game (Id bought them since the dreamcast) but they lost me when they re worked the grappling mechanics.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Well I'm relieved they didn't make a new engine, fix the animations, and in general overhaul the whole thing to make it better for the Rocks game.

That should have been CM Punks honor.

But yeah this looks blah.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
ProtoChimp said:
kburns10 said:
ProtoChimp said:
That game was awesome but I mean one more like the Smackdown vs Raw and WWE '12 and '13 style, I don't wanna say realistic cos I'll get spammed by people informing me, most likely very rudely, of how wrestling isn't real but you know what I mean.
I know what you mean. I like a nice mix of realism and arcade. I don't watch wrestling anymore so the arcade controls lets me hop right into a match. But WWE '13 had the awesome Attitude Mode that I wish was released as a standalone XBLA game. Honestly, I'd just play that the whole time lol

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Eh...the only wrestler in the trailer that grabs my attention is Ziggler. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Cena and all, but he is way overexposed. And Michaels, Rock, and Austin have been in nearly every wrestling game for the last couple decades or so. Plus, I've never really been sold on Ryback. He's improved since going heel, but not enough to really win me over.

And I agree: where the hell is Punk? He's been the only wrestler to challenge Cena in popularity and significance for the last ten years! I mean, I'm sure he'll be in it, but it's weird that he isn't in the trailer.

Also, graphics don't really impress me all that much. So yeah, kind of meh on what I see so far.