Half-Life 3 Is Not Coming Today, Says Valve

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Half-Life 3 Is Not Coming Today, Says Valve

An update from Valve seems to have mistakenly changed City 17's official language.

If you launched Half-Life 2 earlier today, you may have been surprised to hear every NPC delivering their lines in Korean instead of your language of choice. Luckily Gordon Freeman is fluent in Korean (presumably), but many gamers were left wondering what the deal was. Naturally, this being Valve, theories started flying immediately. Valve updated the original Portal with clues just prior to the announcement of Portal 2, so fans were bouncing of the walls in hopes that this was the start of some new ARG leading up to the announcement of the mythical Half-Life 3. The theories were given some weight when Steam Support tweeted this cryptic message:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Steam_Support/statuses/349678346688405505]

The Korean text translates to "Prepare for unforeseen consequences," a reference to a chapter in the first Half-Life. Don't start learning Korean to find clues, though; the bug has been fixed and NPCs should now speak the right language. A Valve employee stepped into the comments section of the latest patch notes [http://steamcommunity.com/games/220/announcements/detail/2110217062141668727], apologizing for the mistake and shooting down the theories: "No ARG sorry, just me mucking up."

Naturally some fans are denying the simple explanation and assuming that this is an elaborate hint towards a reveal during the Steam Summer Sale. Disavowal from the Valve team is pretty strong evidence to the contrary, but then again, that's just what they'd want us to think.

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/220/announcements/detail/2110217062141668727]

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Ok, we are truly getting into the desperate zone for some hints now.

Its over people? we should? *sniff* let it go for our own good. T^T Its unhealthy to cling to our past relationsh-games like that, man!

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Wait I get it! Half Life 3 will have something do with starcraft 2! Right? Half life 3 will be life Starcraft 2 in that it will be announced years and years after the previous entry and come right the fuck out of nowwhere! Right! Right? Right?!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
It still begs the question of why they are updating a 9 year old game.

Not that I'm complaining mind you, I just wonder why they did.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Ed130 said:

Every time Valve updates anything to do with the engine on any game running on the Source Engine, they'll pass those updates on to other games running on the same branch of it, if not to every branch of it. They even updated the original Half Life not too long ago, since they had just ported it to Linux and they made some changes in the process. Changes which removed more features than they added, but changes nonetheless.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
How exactly does a minor update to Half Life 2 hint a new game?
It gets updated often really, along with other source engine games. I think people are getting really paranoid lately..

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I love how after all these years nothing has changed - whether there is the merest hint of something that may be news or a clue, or not.. the fanbase immediately whips up into "Ohmigosh HL3!" mode. The hope and optimism warms my black little heart.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
AWAR said:
How exactly does a minor update to Half Life 2 hint a new game?
It gets updated often really, along with other source engine games. I think people are getting really paranoid lately..
The Half-Life fanbase are their own worst enemies, Valve have been known to be tricksy little hobbitses in the past and it has lead to people jumping to conclusions at everything valve does, they can't even put a three in a game without someone freaking out.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
"Gabe Newell recently farted in a interview with Forbes,

Experts have analysed the chemical content of the aroma and notice it contained trace amounts of Lithium and Hafnium which certain internet users have discovered are presented as 'HF' and 'Li' on the periodic table. Could this be Gabe leaking information? This picture below of Gabe's so called "Unintentional" shart shows what could be the distinctive lambda symbol that Half Life fans know and love etched into Gabe's boxers.

Experts are also analysing the frequency of the three squeaks in Adobe Audition to see if there are hints about HL3 in the waveform.

Simply coincidence? or an elaborate and pointless ARG by Valve to tease the release of a game they wish everyone will shut the fuck up over. Keep clicking every time you see us mention the next Half Life game and maybe you will find out."

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, and i just started to play HL2 again. but thank god its in english for me. no update today.

HL3 would be anyway awesome. i hope it will come out with the new source engine.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
E3 2014 we will see Half-Life 3 trailer Left 4 Dead 3 trailer. Half-Life 2:Episode 3 movie. And all on Source Engine 2. Oh and Dawn of War 3.

Valve prob had planned to put HL2:EP3 out ages ago but the source engine is old, still holds up but....after soo long of a wait they prob want to start again with a new engine like they did when they were dicking us around with HL2 back in the day.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Ed130 said:

Yea, seriously, what are the patch notes? Updated that crowbar texture? Removed cheese line?

Something seems fishy here...

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Was Half Life 2 actually in Korean until now? I doubt it would have debuted with Korean as an option, as back then, the country had only just emerged from national pro-piracy policies. I know Portal had gained niche popularity over there since though. With the new piracy crackdown coming out of the Blue House, the Korean market is finally ripe for the picking.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Did it fix the missing faces on all of the weaponry?
Anyway, I stopped caring for Valve, as if they ever release a new HL.

The fact that some people immidiatly think this is an ARG or some "hint" for a supposidly next HL baffles me.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
"Gabe Newell recently farted in a interview with Forbes,

Experts have analysed the chemical content of the aroma and notice it contained trace amounts of Lithium and Hafnium which certain internet users have discovered are presented as 'HF' and 'Li' on the periodic table. Could this be Gabe leaking information? This picture below of Gabe's so called "Unintentional" shart shows what could be the distinctive lambda symbol that Half Life fans know and love etched into Gabe's boxers.

Experts are also analysing the frequency of the three squeaks in Adobe Audition to see if there are hints about HL3 in the waveform.

Simply coincidence? or an elaborate and pointless ARG by Valve to tease the release of a game they wish everyone will shut the fuck up over. Keep clicking every time you see us mention the next Half Life game and maybe you will find out."
Twist ending: Half Life 3 is actually an elaborate alternate reality social media meta-game based around analysing "clues" to figure out if the game "Half-Life 3" even exists. We've already been playing it without knowing for several years now D=