Leaked Project Eternity Screens Show off Isometric Goodness

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Leaked Project Eternity Screens Show off Isometric Goodness

Players itching to see more of Obsidian's Kickstarter funded RPG can take a gander at a batch of newly leaked screenshots.

When Obsidian launched its Project Eternity it offered an experience that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119607-Obsidian-Unveils-Project-Eternity>sounded like a dream to many a fan of RPGs: a new isometric role-playing game in the same vein as Baldur's Gate and other Infinity Engine games of old. Promising challenging combat and excellent writing wrapped in nostalgic packaging, its fundraising campaign found immediate success and managed to raise <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120139-Update-Project-Eternity-Sets-Record-as-Most-Funded-Videogame>nearly four million dollars on Kickstarter.

The months since Project Eternity's fundraising success have seen a lot of apparent progress that Obsidian has happily detailed through nearly sixty official updates on it <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity>Kickstarter page. That being the case, there have still only been limited looks at the game itself via screenshots and a few brief videos. Fans hoping to get a more thorough peek at Project Eternity, however, can now get a closer look at the game via a batch of <a href=http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/project-eternity/bilder/screenshots/project_eternity,48834,96863.html>leaked screenshots showing off a variety of areas and environments from the game.

[gallery=1618]

Looking at the screens, you could perhaps make an argument that the game doesn't look all that original when compared to older isometric RPGs. That said, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find fans put off by that seeing how aping Infinity Engine RPGs was kind of the point. Currently, Project Eternity seems to be do a splendid job of evoking the visuals and style of classic PC RPGs while also delivering a game with fairly lush modern production values. Hopefully the current visual quality will also lead an RPG of the caliber eager fans are hoping for.

Source: PCGamer

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Isometric RPG's were never really my kind of game, but those screenshots look beautiful and atmospheric. With so many people buying old games on GOG like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Fallout I wouldn't be surprised if this game was a smash. I will keep an eye on this one

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Lono Shrugged said:
Isometric RPG's were never really my kind of game, but those screenshots look beautiful and atmospheric. With so many people buying old games on GOG like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Fallout I wouldn't be surprised if this game was a smash. I will keep an eye on this one
It wasn't exactly the isometrics that made the games, it was the setting, the plot, the characters and the tactical combat.

By focusing less on massive 3D settings and graphics they were able to focus on what really mattered - the mechanics and the writing.

Isometric game does not mean it will be good, it is a play at nostalgia. That being said... it's Obsidian and they are pretty much the masters of WRPG stories and settings.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Here's hoping there's more variety in the sprites than there was in Arcanum. But looking at the screenshots, and accepting that part of the deal is that they're banking on nostalgia, it does seem like they want graphics to be a tool to tell a story, not the other way around. Which gladdens me.

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
It's not so much nostalgia but the possibility to cut back on the whole gfx inflation and the need to pump most of your assets in the gfx engine.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
A bit too brown for my taste, esepecially the outside shots could be more colorful.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
My heart is exploding with awesome.

So excited to see how Project Eternity ends up.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Abomination said:
By focusing less on massive 3D settings and graphics they were able to focus on what really mattered - the mechanics and the writing.
See for me it was always about the atmosphere and mood. The mechanics of those games never appealed to me. Different folks, different strokes I guess. I could get over the gameplay for some games. Hopefully this will be another. Legacy Of Kain was my perfect balance. Balder's gate felt like an endless adventure.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Man, this looks like shit. Tetris graphics! Where is the multiplayer? Where are the guns and American flags? Do I at least get to kill some Russians or Muslims in this game?

Kiddin' of course. I can't wait to play this. It looks like they're really combining the best of old and new.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I can't wait until the actual game comes out or at least more footage of it comes out. I've been looking forward to it ever since I saw this video:
I don't know about you, but that just looks plain beautiful to me.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Sweetness! I forget, did they ever detail what system the game would use? Or is it something entirely original?

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
That looks great and I'm super excited for how all this may turn out. I've got lots of faith in obsidian, always made me happy so far.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
uchytjes said:
I can't wait until the actual game comes out or at least more footage of it comes out. I've been looking forward to it ever since I saw this video:
I don't know about you, but that just looks plain beautiful to me.
Wow. Really cool. I'm usually more of a 3rd-person-follow-cam or even 1st-person guy, but that video kicks ass. If they give it a story to match, I'll be forever grumpy I didn't join the kickstarter...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Looks pretty good to me. Games of the sort occasionally stood out for imaginative architecture or sense of scale, but they were rarely about graphic prowess first and foremost. Honestly, I can't help but feel a lot of AAA-developers could learn a thing or two from that...

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Dear god I've missed a lot of this style of game... Good to see a few more on the horizon.