Killzone 2 Demo Is Pre-Order Only In US

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Killzone 2 Demo Is Pre-Order Only In US

Craving a taste of Killzone 2 before it hits store shelves at the end of next month? Scoot on down to GameStop [http://www.gamestop.com/default.aspx]and put down at least $5 on a pre-order, because that's the only way you'll be getting access to the demo.

The whole idea of a demo is try-before-you-buy, not buy-before-you-buy, but GameStop wouldn't have it any other way. The demo for Guerilla's upcoming first-person shooter sequel for the PS3 won't be available on the PlayStation Network for mass public consumption, but will be an exclusive pre-order bonus [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270110] for GameStop costumers.

There won't be an alternate form of demo available anywhere else, or at least not until after the game actually comes out. "The demo will be available on the PSN after the game ships, but only through GameStop until then," a Sony rep told [http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/05/killzone-2-demo-exclusive-to-gamestop-public-demo-after-game-re/] PS3 Fanboy. In that light, this is only truly bad news for the people who are really dying to play the game and can't wait to try it - the people who, in all likelihood, probably have it pre-ordered already anyway.

Online pre-order costumers will receive an email with a demo access code on February 3rd, while in-store pre-orderers will get receive a "rave card" when they pre-order, as supplies last. In-store cards were available as of yesterday. The demo will most likely be released in February, after the access code emails are sent out to online pre-order customers.

As for the rest of the world, it sounds like PAL region gamers won't have to deal with any of these shenanigans. An insider source told videogaming247 that it's reported [http://www.videogaming247.com/2009/01/06/uk-killzone-2-pre-order-deal-unlikely-says-source/] that if the demo clears quality assurance in time, it'll most likely be out and available for all before Killzone 2's official release date.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Oh US, you fucked over Europe and the Aussies again!
We have to live with this every single time some game comes out. It's like developers hate us Australians or something...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The first and only game I've preordered was LittleBigPlanet, and I'm not going to start again for a simple demo that could possibly make me find out that I don't like the game.

I'm patient enough, I can wait after the game's released for the demo.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Am I the only one who's going to pre-order the game for the demo and cancel the pre-order the next day?

Paying for a demo.... well ok your not really paying... but you get my point.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I wasn't a big fan of the first Killzone. Can someone tell me what's supposed to make this one so much better?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
mokes310 said:
I wasn't a big fan of the first Killzone. Can someone tell me what's supposed to make this one so much better?
Well, since you asked, I think it's mainly the whole aesthetic mood of the whole game. Come on, doesn't that dust and grim look so cool in glorious HD?!?!? All joking aside, it is a beautiful game and has quite an intense mood to it. So basically, it's the PS3 version of Crysis :D

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Jumplion said:
mokes310 said:
Well, since you asked, I think it's mainly the whole aesthetic mood of the whole game. Come on, doesn't that dust and grim look so cool in glorious HD?!?!? All joking aside, it is a beautiful game and has quite an intense mood to it. So basically, it's the PS3 version of Crysis :D
That's one thing that I haven't been fond of with the new gen games. All of the enviroments seem so dark and drab. Sure, the colours and textures are great, but what about bright colours? I loved Test Drive Unlimited simply for the colours and lighting. Far Cry 2 looked amazing, especially the lighting. Why can't more games have colour like that?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
mokes310 said:
Jumplion said:
mokes310 said:
That's one thing that I haven't been fond of with the new gen games. All of the enviroments seem so dark and drab. Sure, the colours and textures are great, but what about bright colours? I loved Test Drive Unlimited simply for the colours and lighting. Far Cry 2 looked amazing, especially the lighting. Why can't more games have colour like that?
Gritty war game I guess. Though you have to admit, Killzone 2 does look exhilarating in gameplay form because of the aesthetics.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
mokes310 said:
The gameplay doesn't suck ass this time and is actually incredibly immersive and cool to do, as opposed to the first's approach of:

recoil + horrible framerate = ??? profit?

I heard that helps, but haven't played it myself so can't judge. Still want it bad though, seriously.