Europa Universalis IV Finds Religion In New Dev Diary

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Europa Universalis IV Finds Religion In New Dev Diary

The latest Europa Universalis IV developer diary explores the effect organized religion can have on mankind's attempts to form a unified societal construct.

Say what you will for organized religion, but it can't be denied that humanity's various attempts at worshipping idealized deities has spawned some brilliant art work over the past few millennia. Of course, it's also led to the deaths of tens of millions of "non-believers," but you take the good with the bad, right?

Today's flippancy toward mass slaughter comes courtesy of that video embedded at top-right, the latest developer diary for Paradox Interactive's upcoming grand strategy title Europa Universalis IV. You may know Paradox as the people behind the brilliant, intensely addictive Crusader Kings II. The Europa Universalis series shares many commonalities with that game, such as its meticulous level of detail and slavish devotion to historical accuracy, but instead of pitting Vikings against Dark Age Irish nobles, Europa Universalis IV drops players into the shoes of any number of European rulers from the Renaissance to the end of the Victorian era.

Those of you who know your world history, will automatically realize what a huge role religion played in every facet of daily life back then. Everyone else, just trust us: People were crazy for Jesus back then. He was even bigger than The Beatles! Point being: Europa Universalis IV recreates the prominent effects of religion in a virtual setting, which allows you to play as a pious, god-fearing ruler, or, if you're shooting for historical accuracy, you can simply pervert the concepts which lie at the base of every organized religion and use this faith-based weapon to crush your enemies under a swarm of well-armed zealots.

If the Crusades proved anything, it's that slaughtering people en masse is almost too easy if you've convinced people that your wanton murder is sanctioned by higher powers.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B523ZwQlsdU]

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Well I for one think it's great that we can finally get some good old, honest religion in our games. I say it's time we show these virtual atheists what happens when you go against our true saviour and lord Jesus Christ.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
SonofaJohannes said:
Well I for one think it's great that we can finally get some good old, honest religion in our games. I say it's time we show these virtual atheists what happens when you go against our true saviour and lord Jesus Christ.
pshaw, jesus christ, that's thinking small. Princess Celestia, now thats a god.

The masses shall be conquered by the power of FRIENDSHIP!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I wonder if i can make a atheist nation and repell the conversion invasions from the religiuos folk