Worms Dev: Why Bother With DLC When You Can Have Mod Support?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

The PC-exclusive Worms: Clan Wars will have full Steam workshop support.

While some big-name triple A publishers might suggest that mod support is slowly being abandoned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125024-Battlefield-4-Wont-Support-Mods] in favor of pricey DLC packs, some other developers say otherwise. Gavin Hood, Lead Designer of the latest game in the popular Worms franchise: PC-exclusive Worms: Clan Wars, says that there are no DLC plans for Clan Wars, because the game will have full mod support.

"We've got no plans for DLC for the game at all," Hood told Strategy Informer [http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/23763/rezzed-2013-no-dlc-planned-for-worms-clan-wars-full-steam-workshop-support-instead], "We're not hiding anything away. Instead we've got full Steam Workshop support out of the box planned for the game so people can make their own items, make their own speech banks, make Clan outfits and share all these. Post launch but within the launch window we're going to release a Mission Toolkit, so we give all players access to the contraptions and the machiner."

Hood confirmed that modders would also be able to make their own singleplayer missions, adding that "It seemed kind of the obvious thing to do!"

Worms: Clan Wars is being developed by Team 17, the same blokes who have been making Worms games since 1995. As the name would suggest, the online multiplayer of the game is the main focus, and Team 17 hope to hold various different league matches for different clans to compete in, in order to win trophies and medals.

The game will also have a fully-fleshed out singleplayer campaign, written by BAFTA award winning comedy writer Dean Wilkinson. I know you don't usually think of the singleplayer when you think of Worms, but Team 17 are adamant that this time it will be worth playing.

The game will come with an iOS/Android companion app, and should be released later this year.

Source: Strategy Informer [http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/23763/rezzed-2013-no-dlc-planned-for-worms-clan-wars-full-steam-workshop-support-instead]

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
That sound like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Reminds me of trials evolution except that did dlc and this to an extent and it was also pretty amazing.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
I just finally bought Worms Revolution earlier today, played Worms all my life since they first came it, was not aware that they were working on a new one so this is a great surprise to me, will be interesting to see what cool mods pop up on the workshop, keep up the good work Team 17, don't abandon your principles for crappy DLC!

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Why Bother With DLC When You Can Have Mod Support?
I've been asking myself this very same question ever since the Horse Armor DLC for Oblivion was released.

I think that the Worms franchise has seen better days, and hasn't had a good installment since Worms Armageddon, but Steam Workshop support makes me interested in Clan Wars.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Say the same guys, that make a season pass for Worms Revolution, that costs exactly as much as the full game.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Instead of Worms: Clan Wars, they should've named it Worms: No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
While I've been a fan of the Worms series for a good long while and like the idea of actually tournaments and league play, I can't help but think there might be some balancing issues....in a half-literal sense. Worm placement at the beginning of the match can give one player a huge advantage while another player is left with half of their team sitting precariously on the edge of a cliff overlooking the water. In cases of 4 player free-for-alls, it's not uncommon for one player to be down 3 worms before they even get their first turn (saying this just as an example of how worm placement can royally screw over a player).

That said, on the topic of full mod support, I think that's frickin' awesome. Imagine the weapons and havoc that can come from this. I wouldn't be surprised if the creative minds of the players come up with stuff that make the infamous Banana Bomb look like a pop-rocket.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
why not have both?

Unless you admitting you can't make DLC that's worth paying for when there are mods around......

In Worm's specific case it probably would be hard for them to release stuff that is really that much better, but in many on the games there's more than enough room for both to exist.

Paid DLC instead of Mods bad.
DLC and Mods good.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

I've got nothing against DLC when done right (Borderlands comes to mind), but refusing to allow mod support for PC games in this day and age is incredibly short sighted. If mods like DayZ have taught us anything, it's that supporting user created content makes good business sense. It's essentially free publicity, and it can bolster a title's sales years beyond its expected lifespan.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
ive never understood DLC. What was wrong with expansion packs ! Or is it just coz DLC is shorter and cost the same if not more then an expansion pack. GREEEEED is destroying the games industry not "pirates" shit games and shitty dlc/drm are.

Good old Team 17. they been around for now long now ?! they must be doing everything right ^.^ TEAM 17 we lurb youz

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
RJ 17 said:
While I've been a fan of the Worms series for a good long while and like the idea that of actually tournaments and league play, I can't help but think there might be some balancing issues....in a half-literal sense. Worm placement at the beginning of the match can give one player a huge advantage while another player is left with half of their team sitting precariously on the edge of a cliff overlooking the water. In cases of 4 player free-for-alls, it's not uncommon for one player to be down 3 worms before they even get their first turn (saying this just as an example of how worm placement can royally screw over a player).

That said, on the topic of full mod support, I think that's frickin' awesome. Imagine the weapons and havoc that can come from this. I wouldn't be surprised if the creative minds of the players come up with stuff that make the infamous Banana Bomb look like a pop-rocket.
Wait....people have real official tournaments in Worms?!

As you said, there's just FAR too much riding on the RNG. You can be screwed right out of the gate through no fault of your own.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
piinyouri said:
RJ 17 said:
While I've been a fan of the Worms series for a good long while and like the idea that of actually tournaments and league play, I can't help but think there might be some balancing issues....in a half-literal sense. Worm placement at the beginning of the match can give one player a huge advantage while another player is left with half of their team sitting precariously on the edge of a cliff overlooking the water. In cases of 4 player free-for-alls, it's not uncommon for one player to be down 3 worms before they even get their first turn (saying this just as an example of how worm placement can royally screw over a player).

Wait....people have real official tournaments in Worms?!

As you said, there's just FAR too much riding on the RNG. You can be screwed right out of the gate through no fault of your own.
Team 17 hope to hold various different league matches for different clans to compete in, in order to win trophies and medals.
That's what I took this to mean, at least. Worms is a great party game to enjoy with your friends, but making actual, "meaningful" competition out of it just seems like a bad idea unless they have specialized maps for it in which there are no water-traps or screen-edges that you can launched into. Even so, depending on the worm placement the person who gets to go first could severely mess up your team with a well placed stick of dynamite or something. Like I said in my original response: the game does have balancing issues, which is why it's supposed to be (at least if you ask me) played in a light-hearted manner and not for serious competition.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Arkitext said:
Good old Team 17.

Keep up the good work and fight the good fight! :)
Actually, their games have had quite a good amount of DLC, this new Worms game is being made by a new dev team (they may belong to Team 17, but are basicly a new bunch of guys I think) to see if having someone that never made a worms game can bring something fresh to the table.

This opinion may belong to this fresher team

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
While I understand what they mean, and I agree, reading this it come off kinda like, "why make games when other people will do it for us".

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Consoles.

DLC was introduced with Xbox, then it really took off with the 360 and PS3. And of course it would have been moronic for them not to release the DLC on PC too for cross platform games.

And then people decided PC only games may as well get DLC too, since it was a standard thing.

But DLC is still necessary because consoles don't have modding capabilities.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Bethesda comes in and does both. Saints Row 4, is going to do both. I don't understand than why not do both, give players mod support making them play your game far after launch, than give them dlc they can play with to.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well...sometimes the goal is less the betterment of the game and continuation of content, and more the ability to make sure players are as eager to buy DLC as possible. Thankfully some people are still committed to the former.