Saints Row IV "Low Violence" Version Appears in Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Saints Row IV "Low Violence" Version Appears in Australia

A "low violence" version of Saints Row IV has reportedly been spotted in the land Down Under.

Despite the hopes of Australian gamers that the long-overdue introduction of an R18+ rating would finally mean unfettered access to "mature" videogames, the Australian Classification Board gave the thumbs-down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125362-Update-Saints-Row-IV-Refused-Classification-in-Australia] to Saints Row IV last month, refusing to classify it, and thereby effectively prohibiting its sale, because of "interactive, visual depictions of implied sexual violence which are not justified by context" and "elements of illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards," both of which are against the rules of Australian law, even for R18-rated games.

But all is not lost! According to Kotaku Australia, Steam users in the country may now preorder a "low violence" version of the game. Deep Silver declined to comment so what exactly this version cuts isn't known, but the publisher did say when the classification refusal was originally announced that it is "reworking some of the code to create a version of the game for this territory by removing the content which could cause offense."

A low violence version of Saints Row IV would presumably satisfy Australia's censors, who I guess are still pretty tightly wound, but will it satisfy Australian gamers - especially now that the country has a rating designed to accommodate just this sort of game? I rather doubt it.

Source: Kotaku Australia [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/07/a-low-violence-version-of-saints-row-iv-is-being-offered/]

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
Sooo, this is the equivalent of finally turning 21 and being old enough to drink alcohol.....oh, wait, you can only have the watered-down beverages despite being the legal age

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Jesus, it's like two steps forward, one step back with these guys. Make an 18+ rating but WAIT THIS GAME IS INAPPROPRIATE FOR MATURE ADULTS NO FUN ALLOWED.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Question is - which version is Germany getting? Default for a change or once again Low Violence? So far, it seems to be uncut.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
"Gratuitous Sexual Violence" huh? So how much you want to bet it was hitting people in the nuts or a weapon that does the same.... But given it is SR I am betting it launched said person into space.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
It's only going to be technically less violent. I'm sure it'll go right over the heads of those shitpickle sensors.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
So instead of a dildo bat, the Aussies have to use a wiffle bat? Not to mention that the Kiwis will be stuck with the same version by proxy even though they don't have the same ratings board.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
slash2x said:
"Gratuitous Sexual Violence" huh? So how much you want to bet it was hitting people in the nuts or a weapon that does the same.... But given it is SR I am betting it launched said person into space.
It was an "alien probe" weapon. You can imagine where the "probe" goes. I think after probing, you could then actually launch the person, though.

I think it'd be awesome if they made this "low violence" version a big parody of the rating system. Make rainbows shoot out of people instead of blood, have the guns fire puffballs, etc.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
I'm conflicted. On the one hand: censorship is bad, and those who practice it should feel bad. On the other hand: LOL, suck it Australia! :D

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Father Time said:
You know if I were Volition I'd put in some anti-censorship messages into this new version.

Something like 'the Australian government/the Australian censorship board doesn't think you can handle fictional violence and/or fictional drug use. If you think they should lay off the censorship send a message to them at [publicly available contact address of the censorship board]'.
While I tend to agree with you, all that will happen is you piss off the busy bodies that allow your game in in the first place and if you publicly embarrass them they'll make it a mission to go after you.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
So let me get this straight, Australia introduced an 18+ rating so they could definitively treat adults like children?

If not, that's what it looks like.