The Witcher 3 Team Goes to Scotland for "The Beginning"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Witcher 3 Team Goes to Scotland for "The Beginning"

When it came to making its introductory video for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, CD Projekt didn't mess around.

What do you do when you're an indie studio from Poland that's gone from virtual unknown to one of the most respected and acclaimed RPG developers in the business over the course of just two games? Apparently you pack some of the top guys in your operation off to the frigid cliffs of Scotland and make them stand around in the freezing cold and whipping wind to talk about their new game.

The Witcher 3 "Beginning" video released last month (which is available here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trg5mXJlpxo&feature=youtu.be] if you missed it) is perhaps a bit over the top, but I think CD Projekt has earned the right to make a little noise about what it's got in store for its next game - and given the quality of its previous two, I'm willing to take it at face value. But as cool as it is, this "making of" video, while not as informative, is probably even more entertaining, because it demonstrates the commitment the studio has to its famed property - and more important, because it's always fun to watch people suffer from a safe distance.

It doesn't have a whole lot to do with the game, although the transitions from the real world to the rugged landscapes of the Northern Kingdoms are interesting to see, but it's fun to watch - and that wolf really does seem pretty cuddly, too.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is being developed for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, and will be out (barring unforeseen disaster) sometime in 2014.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
"We have sunshine from time to time"

That sentence is Scotland in a nutshell.

Also totally unjustifiably claiming that The Witcher 3's undoubted excellence will be almost fully down to the Scottish inspiration, for national pride. =P (Just kidding! But it is kind of neat :D)

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
Being in Scotland for a few minutes is suffering beyond belief...

Ot i need to watch this, I really got into the Witcher 2, but feel lazy as I couldn't get into the first. Must be missing out

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Andy Shandy said:

Although the last couple of weeks it's been too bloody sunny. And hot.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Andy Shandy said:

Until today, at least, when it decided to absolutely piss it down/

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Andy Shandy said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Andy Shandy said:

Yeah, it was great, wasn't it? :p

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Andy Shandy said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Andy Shandy said:

Fun times eh? Went downstairs to ask my fiancé if she wanted to go into town (hadn't looked outside yet), all i got was a glare. :)

OT: its remarkable the resemblance of the scene they showed to Scotland. Did they actually model it that way or was it pure coincidence?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Leviano said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Andy Shandy said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Andy Shandy said:

Fun times eh? Went downstairs to ask my fiancé if she wanted to go into town (hadn't looked outside yet), all i got was a glare. :)

OT: its remarkable the resemblance of the scene they showed to Scotland. Did they actually model it that way or was it pure coincidence?
I was being serious. I was happy when I saw it was raining. I'm getting sick of all the hot weather we're getting. This is supposed to be a coldish country, damn it!