Pokemon X and Y Trailer Shows Off New Features

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon X and Y Trailer Shows Off New Features

The latest trailer offers an more extensive look at the new 3D battles.

Nintendo has just released a new trailer for Pokemon X and Y that shows off some of the new features being introduced in the next generation of Pokemon games. It starts off by showing us a bit more about how player customization will work, and then goes on to offer a more in-depth look at the new Player Search System (PSS), which will be making it easier for players to find other trainers to play with through local wireless or internet connection.

The trailer is in Japanese, but I'm sure you can get the idea. It talks about how you'll go on an adventure with four of your friends, and discover all-new Pokemon like the adorable Pancham. It also gives us a bit more detailed look at how the new 3D battles will play out, and they look pretty awesome. It's a much-needed facelift for the Pokemon franchise, which has been using 2D sprites since its inception.

We are also treated to some new footage of both horde encounters and sky battles. A look at the PSS shows that you'll be able to battle in real-time with players around the world, as well as trade Pokemon with them, much the same way as how the "Global Link" worked in previous games.

The trailer ends by showing off a new, exclusive Pokemon X and Y 3DS XL that will be sold in Japan in a bundle that contains a copy of either of the two games. No word on when (or if) the US is getting this one.

Pokemon X and Y releases worldwide on October 12th.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/03/new-pokmon-x-and-pokmon-y-trailer-summarizes-the-latest-features/]

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
well its certainly a good looking game

and atleast when selecting gender we have some different faces to choose from but i would have liked a little more customisation

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
You know what? I've been saving for a 3DS these past few months. Then today, I saw my bank balance and thought, "Screw it. I don't have enough money to spend on a 3DS. I'll just skip Pokemon!"

Then I come back home, and find this. Back to saving up then...

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
It's like 3D has finally reached gaming all over again! Over two decades later, at that!
llagrok said:
Fairy type? Seriously....

I don't even know anymore.
They're obviously taking a cue from ZUN.
Cirno is my favourite Fairy/Ice type.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Meh, I got sick of pokemon after realizing it's basically the same game over and over again with a few minor differences. It's nice seeing that they are atleast attempting to make some changes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Danm I thought this trailer was going to reveal another new Pokemon! I hoped they reveal the list before it come out as I don't like making blind decision. (X or Y?)

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I swear there is an English version of this trailer. It was playing at my local EB games today. Too noisy to hear if there was sound but... IDK. Maybe most/all of the assets in this trailer have been recycled from previous ones, and I was just watching a montage of them instead.
Still, this is almost convincing me to get a 3DS. If I had the money.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Ugh, after the third generation the design started to go out the window. I liked most of the second and third generation but there where already many which looked like shit. And then came the 4th and 5th... oh god. While there are some designs out of them which I like most of them look ridiculous and the 5th doesn't even have a single starter pokemon which looks cool. Just look at abominations like Gurdurr or Gothitelle.
This is even worse then seeing rule 34. Nintendo is the one who's raping my childhood.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
I haven't played a Pokemon game since... Yellow. Might as well pick this up.
But dammit! We get to pet the pokemons, that's just too cute!

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Joccaren said:
I swear there is an English version of this trailer. It was playing at my local EB games today. Too noisy to hear if there was sound but... IDK. Maybe most/all of the assets in this trailer have been recycled from previous ones, and I was just watching a montage of them instead.
Still, this is almost convincing me to get a 3DS. If I had the money.
Yeah this is just an extended version of the trailer that I think they first showed at E3.

I'm really liking the look of the battles. Although the Sky Battles confuse me, I really don't see the point of limiting fights to only flying Pokemon and ones with Levitate.

Although I imagine it'll be pretty funny to see how they incorporate Dodrio and Gyarados...

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
llagrok said:
Fairy type? Seriously....

I don't even know anymore.
I'm glad.
Since last generation Dragon Types have increasingly tipped the balance of the game to the point where it was kind of mandatory to have one on your team.
This is especially bad since Black and White raised the power cap on a lot of the new Pokemon.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Does anyone else feel like the Pokémon-amie feature is oddly reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance's Dream Eaters menu?

I seriously can't wait for this game. The swarm battles look like a lot a fun (hopefully they get more use out of Gen V's rotation battles, too!) and I'm very interested in the circumstances surrounding the sky battles.

And a new type! I was hoping the new type would be Light, but Fairy is cool too I guess.
[sub][sub]Wait a minute now I have to rethink my main team goddammit.[/sub][/sub]

It was also nice to see a couple of new Pokés in this trailer.
hazydawn said:
Ugh, after the third generation the design started to go out the window. I liked most of the second and third generation but there where already many which looked like shit. And then came the 4th and 5th... oh god. While there are some designs out of them which I like most of them look ridiculous and the 5th doesn't even have a single starter pokemon which looks cool. Just look at abominations like Gurdurr or Gothitelle.
This is even worse then seeing rule 34. Nintendo is the one who's raping my childhood.
Pokémon isn't about how good the designs are, never was. Besides, Sugimori's been doing them since the beginning, and coming up with 100+ new monsters every generation isn't easy. We're lucky any of them have been good past Gen III.

Pokémon is my childhood too, but I think it's being handled pretty well.
Phrozenflame500 said:
Meh, I got sick of pokemon after realizing it's basically the same game over and over again with a few minor differences. It's nice seeing that they are atleast attempting to make some changes.
Isn't that every Nintendo game, though?

But yeah, Gen V really tried to reinvigorate the series (which I think it accomplished). Hopefully X and Y will have a plot like Black and White did. Only better.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
i haven't played any of the ds titles I'm considering getting the gold/silver remake

those starters looked pretty generic looking i usually expect them to be cute whilst still showing hints of the monster they have the potential to become

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
heroicbob said:
i haven't played any of the ds titles I'm considering getting the gold/silver remake

those starters looked pretty generic looking i usually expect them to be cute whilst still showing hints of the monster they have the potential to become
They're still better than the Black/White starters.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
Perhaps, but let's be honest for a minute: What game series ISN'T basically "the same game over and over again with a few minor differences"? The only one I can think of off-hand is Final Fantasy, but even then for the longest time the battle system was basically the same thing over and over again, with only the character building system varying from game to game.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
Danm I thought this trailer was going to reveal another new Pokemon! I hoped they reveal the list before it come out as I don't like making blind decision. (X or Y?)
They did release a couple of screenshots of a new one but they only had the French and Japanese names, Monorpale and Hitotsuki, respectively.