Dragon's Crown Gets New Outfit Options

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dragon's Crown Gets New Outfit Options

Atlus has unveiled new outfit, audio, and control options for Dragon's Crown.

While much ado has been about some of the more <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123560-Dragons-Crown-Designer-Apologizes-for-Exaggerated-Characters>ill-proportioned aspects of Dragon's Crown's presentation, Atlus would like to point out some of the game's more customizable aspects. In turn, the company has recently revealed which elements of the game players will be able to adjust. Some of the options are arguably kind of minor. Chances are there aren't too many gamers who will bat an eye at the ability to name their character in this day and age. That being the case, there are a few things that players might appreciate.

On the audio end, players will have the option to switch between the English and Japanese combat voices. While chances are most English-speaking players will stick with the English voice options, this does give a convenient way to avoid any of the potentially annoying repeat phrases that sometimes crop up in games like this. Then again, if you're fluent in Japanese, it could just open up a whole new selection of audible aggravation.

[gallery=1624]

Arguably bigger than voice options are newly unveiled outfit color choices which, in a few cases, also include altered skin colors. These will likely be appreciated by players who don't fit in with the often less than diverse ethnicities sometimes presented in fantasy titles akin to Dragon's Crown. That being the case, the game could probably still have done better on this front. While the Elf and the Dwarf will have a wider racial range, the other characters are still pretty pale.

The biggest reveal for me personally is the option to swap the game's native analog controls for the Vita's D-pad. Maybe it's because I grew up playing an NES, but it's always felt unnatural to me to try and play a sidescrolling game with analog sticks. So, in short, hooray for that change. Players interested in trying out these customization options don't have much longer to wait. Dragon's Crown lands on the Vita on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122895-Atlus-Delivers-Dragons-Crown-To-The-US-This-Summer>August 6th.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
This made me laugh.

Developer: "Hey guys and girls, we know some people weren't happy with the design options for some of our characters so we decided to give you some options."
Customer: "Less revealing outfits for The Sorceress?"
Developer: "What? No, you can just have different coloured clothing now."

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
That's not outfit changes that's a color palette swap!

With the work flow of any professional artist that literally only takes a few minutes...<.<

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Apparently color filters that take 5 seconds to do by even the laziest of artists counts as costume changes now.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I've got to agree with the masses. Thems aint noo outfits! Maybe the lead artist was too entranced by the jiggle animations to work and an intern had to use their rudimentary photoshop skills to move the colour sliders a bit?

Dec 14, 2009
Pfft, those are just colour swaps.

If they're considered 'extra' costumes, then there's hundred of them in UMvC3.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
StewShearer said:
On the audio end, players will have the option to switch between the English and Japanese combat voices. While chances are most English-speaking players will stick with the English voice options, this does give a convenient way to avoid any of the potentially annoying repeat phrases that sometimes crop up in games like this. Then again, if you're fluent in Japanese, it could just open up a whole new selection of audible aggravation.
Well, that depends on the quality of the english voice acting. Lost count of the poorly voiced english versions that had me switching (or wishing I could) to Japanese audio in preference to clawing my ears off. (yes, i'm looking at you, sonic adventure, trouble witches neo, enchanted arms and Zone of the Enders 2)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh boy! Now they've got another controversy on their hands
DWARVES AREN'T BLACK! rabble, rabble, rabble!
Actually, Dwarves come from ancient Norse mythology, where they were referred to as 'svartalf', or 'black elf/dark elf' in English. The word 'Dwarf' itself comes from the German word 'Zwerg'. So yeah, originally, they were indeed black.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I honestly can't wait for this game. I recently got a Vita and am enjoying replaying Muramasa. Now I find I'm impatient for this game, which at first I didn't give one single shit about. I would also appreciate a version of Odin Sphere, TBH. C'mon guys, take my money! Also, I couldn't be more happy with analog controls being an option in this game. I wish they had done that with Muramasa. It's so unnatural to control characters on a 2D plain with the analog, it has honestly adversely affected some of the platforming in Muramasa for me.

Edit: Honestly, color swaps... a lot of games will allow you to just select a customized color palette. It's really easy to do from a programming and especially artistic side. C'mon guys, real news. You don't have to make shit up to stay in the news till release.

sinsfire

Nov 17, 2009
Sacman said:
That's not outfit changes that's a color palette swap!

With the work flow of any professional artist that literally only takes a few minutes...<.<
ok good glad I'm not losing my mind. I couldn't see any difference in the clothing either.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I thought this news was the answer to some of the naysayers out there. They should of called it pallete colour swap as outfit is misleading (they're not wearing different clothing, only the colours on them had been changed).

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TheKasp said:
And the artstyle is still unpleasant to look at and among the ugliest things I've ever seen. And those costumes are just colorswaps...
That is one of the downsides to this style of animation. Alternate costumes are not an option. They would require far too much work.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
To be honest this is 2D art, in 2D art (like this one where every different frame is a different drawing) to have a new outfit usually means a shit ton of work in having to redraw everything again.

Its like that feature in the KOF game (I think) where you can swap the colors of the sprites, thats a nice way of giving some options to the player.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
StewShearer said:
The biggest reveal for me personally is the option to swap the game's native analog controls for the Vita's D-pad. Maybe it's because I grew up playing an NES, but it's always felt unnatural to me to try and play a sidescrolling game with analog sticks. So, in short, hooray for that change.
I'm glad they added that, it makes a huge difference on side scrolling games. Rayman Origins on the vita is so much better when played with the D-pad

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh boy! Now they've got another controversy on their hands
DWARVES AREN'T BLACK! rabble, rabble, rabble!
Actually you brought up something I didn't realize before.

If you consider the Sorceress,Wizard,Amazon & Knight all Humans, then they might have a new controversy about the fact that only the 2 likely non-human classes elf/elvan and the dwarf are the only ones who can appear black or darker skinned. As if to say black people are/can not be human(iod).

Or is that a bit of a stretch?

Side Note you think they could of linked the Paladin's/Knight's shield color to his shoulder crest sure it's likely considered apart of the weapon that don't seem to change ever but it's kind of only matches the original armor as it stands now.