12 New Fighters Join Street Fighter X Tekken (Vita) Cast

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
12 New Fighters Join Street Fighter X Tekken (Vita) Cast

Oh Capcom, you had me at "Elena."

Good news: In celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Street Fighter franchise, Capcom has revealed a dozen new fighters for the upcoming Street Fighter X Tekken.

Less good news: So far these additional pugilists have only been confirmed for the Vita version of the game, which is scheduled for release sometime this Fall.

Before I get to why this is actually not a bad thing, let's take a look at which characters have been added. From Capcom's Street Fighter universe we have Cody, Guy, Dudley, Blanka, Sakura and Elena. On the other hand, representing the King of Iron Fist tournament are Bryan Fury, Jack, Alisa Bosconovitch, Lei Wulong, Christie Monteiro and Lars Alexandersson.

And why are all these fighters exclusive to Sony's new handheld? Well, I don't actually think they are. Capcom followed the above news with this coy gem:

This news comes alongside a reminder that the console version of SFxT will receive new features and DLC over the months. Most importantly, the game you buy on March 6 will be the only disc-based version of Street Fighter X Tekken needed to access these updates.

Hm. That's a mighty suspicious thing to say, directly after mentioning how the Vita version would have way more characters than the earlier version of the game, no?

My theory is that Capcom will release the above crew as post-release DLC for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Then, similarly to Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, the eventual Vita release would be something of an "Ultimate" version of the game, which would both save Vita users the hassle of downloading all these extra characters (and thus burning through their expensive bandwidth and monopolizing the handheld's storage options) and offer both playerbases the same group of virtual pugilists.

Well, except for those cats, that dumb jerk from inFamous and Pac-Man [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115294-Pac-Man-Apparently-Joins-Street-Fighter-X-Tekken-Cast]. Those are all still exclusive to the Vita, but nobody actually wants to play as them anyway.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2012/02/21/12_new_characters_revealed_for_vita_version_of_street_fighter_x_tekken,_more_25th_anniversary_details]

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Just read this on Capcom Unity a few minutes ago, and I have to say, those fighters plus the ones already confirmed definitely make a very well-rounded, complete cast. And it infuriates me.

It leaves me no choice but to assume Capcom will pull some Marvel vs. Capcom 3 shit by making each of the downloadable characters $5. And then less than a year after release, they'll announce Super Street Fighter X Tekken with all the characters on-disc and balance tweaks. For $40.

I will not be falling into your bullshit, Capcom, which is especially telling of your habits, considering I creamed myself at the announcement of the Street Fighter/ Tekken crossovers as only an intense fanboy of both could, which I am.

TL:DR

Screw Capcom. Unless they make that DLC free, I'll be waiting for a used copy of Super Street Fighter X Tekken.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im curious, that picture of Elena, it doesnt seem to be the same artstyle that Capcom usually uses... is this just me?

Also, I have the most obvious feeling that Im better off waiting for the Ultimate version, as sure enough, they will release one.

Its just like Fallout 3 and NV, why buy the DLC packs when I can just wait for the GotY edition with all DLC included?

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
If we get these characters on the console version (which we probably will at some point), then i'll be happy...I really doubt Capcom would keep them on the VITA exclusively (it won't make people buy the VITA version just to play these characters)...and i'm fairly certain all the "exclusive" characters already seen are already confirmed for the PS3, unlike what the end of this article says...

If you like playing a game, then why wouldn't you want to extend that enjoyable time with DLC...even if it does come in disk form...it's still cheaper then getting it all separately...

I can understand the frustration with it though...I just don't really care anymore...it's not like it's going to actually stop Capcom from doing it...unless you got enough people to literally not buy the game, which will never happen...

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I can easily wait until a GotY edition comes out with all of the DLC included for free. Frankly, I'm not all that eager to potentially double the purchase price just to eventually have the 'whole' cast.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Im curious, that picture of Elena, it doesnt seem to be the same artstyle that Capcom usually uses... is this just me?

Also, I have the most obvious feeling that Im better off waiting for the Ultimate version, as sure enough, they will release one.

Its just like Fallout 3 and NV, why buy the DLC packs when I can just wait for the GotY edition with all DLC included?
The artist is Gonzalo Ordoñez. He's a freelance artist who has worked with Udon to create the Street Fighter comics.

That artwork is the same one he used in the now (essentially) defunct Universal Fighting System card game.

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
Yeah I don't see any of these not being on the original console disk. That list includes a lot of core fighters: Blanka, Sakura, Lei Wulong, Bryan Fury and Jack are all series mainstays, and serious selling points.

Plus Blanka and Sakura are my 2 favourite SF characters so I'm holding out hope.

The more characters on the disk, the more characters there are to make ridiculously overpriced costumes for :)