12-Year-Old Sets New Guitar Hero World Record

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
12-Year-Old Sets New Guitar Hero World Record

12-year-old Dylan Phifer has set a new world record for Game Crazy [http://www.guitarhero.com/] store.

The boy with the fast-flyin' fingers racked up 1,019,682 points of guitar heroism, handily knocking over the old mark of 1,009,000. "I never expected to break a world record on something that is kind of important," Phifer told Firstcoastnews.com [http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/strange/news-article.aspx?storyid=144998&catid=82]. "Maybe something kinda small but not this big."

"Important" may be relative, but as Drew McGillivray, manager of the Game Crazy store where the new record was set, pointed out, Phifer's got some undeniably mad skills. "He's incredible," he said. "I've never seen anyone play Guitar Hero like him. It just baffles me how good he is."

"This is such a great thing to see anyone break a Guinness World Record, but on top of that having a 12-year-old come in and do it was fantastic," he added.

His mother said she's not concerned about the amount of time he spends with the game because he's an honor student and a "good kid." She claimed he's always had a "natural ability to really focus in on things," and also admitted that she's a fan of a lot of the music he plays along to. "I just love hearing the songs," she said. "I'll start singing the songs and he'll tell me to stop."

Despite his accomplishment and new-found fame, the youngster remains humble. He said he's not actually the best Guitar Hero player in the world, just one of the few who bothered to go through the hassle of the Guinness verification process, which requires a videotape of the feat, statements from witnesses and a pile of paperwork, all of which has to be sent to the Guinness offices in England. But he does acknowledge that he seems to have a certain talent for the game.

"When I finally got to expert, I thought I might actually be good at this game," he said.

Source: Examiner.com [http://www.examiner.com/a-2216448~Everett_boy_stars_at_Guitar_Hero.html]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
... I'm sorry, I missed something. Is there anyone over the age of 13 that gives the slightest bit of a damn? Nope? I fail to see the point then.

Ironpanda

Apr 15, 2009
or he could get a real guitar????
edit: actually im being a little harsh the thing this kid gets kudos for that noone else whos done something on guitar hero has is being humble about the fact that he's not all that for being good at a game

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Indeed...important is a relative term. This is very big to him right now, but later on in life...say 16-20, its not exactly the most important accomplishment he'll have.

Lowbreed

Jul 4, 2009
The article itself doesn't have that much actual information. Is there a video, or at least the song (or possibly game) it was on (even though I do guess its TTFaF, but then it still could be from smash hits).

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Why does South Park spring to mind?

"You have reached 1 million points! YOU....ARE.....FAGS!!"

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Does this remind you the south park episode where they broke a million and all they got was "You are FAgs!"

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Ranooth said:
Why does South Park spring to mind?

"You have reached 1 million points! YOU....ARE.....FAGS!!"
Wooow. You totally posted exactly what I was gonna post. XD

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
... I'm sorry, I missed something. Is there anyone over the age of 13 that gives the slightest bit of a damn? Nope? I fail to see the point then.
Oh come on. It's just neat! Not everything that flies off teh news desk has to be some big, gripping, hard hitting gaming news article. Sometimes, it's just neat to hear about some kids who, at 12 years old, kicks some serious, world-record-setting ass at a game.

Lighten up people. Geez.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
A slow day, eh?

This isn't really the kind of news I've come to expect from The Escapist...

Devilpapaya

Apr 3, 2009
So much hate on this thread.

Edit: Maybe it's because there wasn't enough hate in the article... people are too used to mainstream media.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
APPCRASH said:
Looks like someone doesn't watch South Park.
At twelve? Not every parent lets their kids do whatever they want... Sounds like this kid has parents that actually get involved and sets boundaries - this would happen to be the result of that, by the way.

Good for the kid. I'm impressed that he's clearly not some little ****, going around spouting off about how great he is.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
well he's as far away from being an actual rockstar as it is possible to be. just like i'm as far away from being an actual sith-lord as it is possible to be.