GameStop Puts a Cap on PS4 Pre-Orders

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GameStop Puts a Cap on PS4 Pre-Orders

GameStop is stopping PS4 pre-orders as supplies for the new console run out.

For a console that is still months away from release, the PlayStation 4 is doing pretty well for itself. Since pre-orders became available the new addition to the PlayStation family has been selling like mad, helping (along the with the Xbox One) to push Amazon's hardware sales to a whopping "unlimited" supply of PS4s.

Now, however, the game-centric retailer has reportedly had to cap off PS4 pre-orders, changing the console's status on its online storefront to "Not Available." In-store pre-orders, in turn, are reportedly running out on a store by store basis. Comparatively, the Xbox One, which previously also had its pre-orders briefly capped by GameStop, is still available both <a href=http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one>online and in most physical stores.

While it's still hard to make any conclusive judgments on the sales of the PS4 over the Xbox One and vice versa, it's become pretty clear that consumers were ready for a new a console generation. That being said, we're curious as to what our readers have personally purchased and what console sales are looking like in your area. Does the PS4 seem to be coming out on top? Or does your local gaming populace seem to be leaning toward the Xbox One?

Source: PlayStation Lifestyle

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Inb4 pc gaming master race comments...

As far as my local Gamestop is concerned, they're leaning a bit towards the Xbone. I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing now that the silly DRM drama is over...
I'll possibly pick one up myself in a year or two. I'm ready for a new generation, but not willing to shell out $500.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It isn't that surprising really, not because of anything to do with the XBone, just because this has been a pretty long generation and I suspect many people are eager to move onto the next one.

StewShearer said:
That being said, we're curious as to what our readers have personally purchased and what console sales are looking like in your area. Does the PS4 seem to be coming out on top? Or does your local gaming populace seem to be leaning toward the Xbox One?
I can only speak about the people I know, but they are all pretty much getting the XBone. One of them is a die-hard fan of the Xbox and the rest want to all play online together so they will be getting it as well. I imagine one of my friends will get both seeing as they always have gotten all platforms each generation more or less.

As for me? Right now I will be sticking to the PC, but even then it's only really indie titles that have me interested right now. I no longer have any other platforms to play on due to trading/selling them, and as it stands neither of the new consoles interest me that much due to the announced titles as well as the prices.

Unfortunately, while the PS4 seems like a better console it has no exclusives that I care for, whereas the XBone looks awful but does have a couple of games I'd like, but not enough to buy one for the RRP. In a year or two I may be swayed towards one or the other but to be honest I was around two years late into the current generation. While I do play games a fair amount I am not really that "into" it, for me it's a time killer rather than a passion.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Klagermeister said:
I personally wasn't going to go all PC gaming master race on this, but it does make me smile and wonder if it was just getting embarrassing for the start of this coming generational war.

But PCs are totally superior, man.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Klagermeister said:

As far as my local Gamestop is concerned, they're leaning a bit towards the Xbone. I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing now that the silly DRM drama is over...
I'll possibly pick one up myself in a year or two. I'm ready for a new generation, but not willing to shell out $500.
As a member of the 'PC master race' i'll admit i have a PS4 on preorder. Wii U can wait until 'X' gets released, Xbone can wait until its in the bargain bin

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Okay, kinda glad I got my deposit down on both consoles now.

On the "in my area" comment, a mate of mine who works in GAME says they have nearly run out of Xbox One pre-order spaces, when I put the deposit down for it. Didn't say anything about the PS4.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
is this a US thing, as they arn't moving as many xboxs here compared to PS4's, tried to preorder last month and EB was leery about getting me one on launch

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
(Keep in mind I'm British and currently living in Germany when I say this)

If I were a smart Sony businessman, I would concentrate it's supply chain on North America and even syphon from other countries supplies if they can't make enough in time. (but don't tell anyone of course. I shouldn't have to say that, but you could bet someone at Microsoft would. Heck they actually decided to announce that they weren't even going to make any console for most the countries in the world)

For most of Sony's life the PS3 has actually been outselling the 360, it was released a year later and had a 5 million disadvantage, but every year that number got smaller and every country bar basically North America and the UK used more PS3's than 360's.

But because North America (and the UK) is a big source of gaming journalism, even for non-first language English people, the gaming media always reflected much more on the 360's success than the PS3's. Heck we have stuff like a primary accessory manufacturer not making PS3 accessories because of it.

Microsoft really suck at marketing at the moment, and they've always sucked at selling to countries which aren't the US. If Sony could beat them on their home ground, then MS would lose pretty every advantage it had and it probably wouldn't be able to pick up the slack in other countries, which Sony would quickly supply to more heavily once the launch rush is over. They'd get the good press because people often use US figures instead of worldwide figures for their headlines and then they could use that to follow through

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've preordered a PS4 and, it being the morning after the E3 conferences, was one of the first to do so at my local EB (GameStop in Canada). I've been in a couple times since and the clerks have said that the PS4 is definitely selling better than the One though they haven't made any calls as of yet for either system being "out of stock."

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Me in my local store which i work in its staff wise 90% preodering PS4. Customers are leaning on there own to PS4, it seems the intent to screw over the consumer has hurt xbone.

Personally we encourage all preoders as thats our job but if asked most staff will push people towards PS4 atm, i've always been sony so its no choice for me... although i only really console game about 20% of my gaming time tops, rest is PC.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
That is BAD and GOOD news, the good obviously is that the PS4 is selling well. And that is very good news indeed maybe giving this generation a good reason for developers to take both consoles equally serious. I am looking at you bethesda with your "Our DLC will never come to the PS3"

The bad news, well one will have to wait a while now to get one.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I thought the Xbone sold out sooner because they simply didn't have as many to sell, so to speak. Anyways it's good to see Sony not overestimating and blowing money on consoles that are going to sit gathering dust... *cough* Wii-U *un-cough*

I'll proabaly pick one up on Christmas or if Killzone gets some nice reviews. But I'm definietly, 100% forking over the cash to play inFAMOUS Second Son. If I didn't do my shopping online I'd be quoting Fry; "Shut up and take my money!"

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
In my opinion, PS4 has better looking exclusives, both at launch & down the line, so I'm definitely leaning that direction

Xbox180 (I'm calling it that forever now, for the record) pretty much only has Titanfall to entice me, but I'll likely get it on PC if I do decide to pick up a copy

To no one's surprise more than mine, I've actually been eying the Wii U just a little bit; come back to me on that if/when Pikmin 3 & that new Xenogears game comes out

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
I'm surprised this is an article when Microsoft halted all Xbox One pre-orders at Best Buy due to demand. Where's that article?

Zippy1313

Mar 26, 2008
I didn't personally pre-order either due to the fact that most of the launch games are on both PS3 and 360. Why bother dropping hundreds of dollars for games I already have the ability to play.

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
Smeagol150 said:
I'm surprised this is an article when Microsoft halted all Xbox One pre-orders at Best Buy due to demand. Where's that article?
You mean the one that says Best Buy has 2 options to finance an Xbox One(80),while they no longer have them for pre-order, or the one where Microsoft sent employees to WiiU events in hopes of ambush marketing the Xbox One(80)?

For the second option, I give you this:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/microsoft-employees-ambush-wii-u-best-buy-events-to-promote-xbox-one/

For the former however, you'd have to go to best buy's site, and search for the Xbox One(80). I did, it's hilarious to me.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I've already got my next gen machine. It is running an i7-3770k, 7970, and 32GB of ram. It will be running all those multi-platform games that some of you will be playing on your xbones and PS4's.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
most console pre-orders tend to be capped quickly. This isn't like a game where burning the discs is pretty easy

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Amir Kondori said:
I've already got my next gen machine. It is running an i7-3770k, 7970, and 32GB of ram. It will be running all those multi-platform games that some of you will be playing on your xbones and PS4's.
do you do some heavy video editing perhaps? or create 3d models? why else would you need 32G of ram? or are you future-proofing more than MS did? 32GB will be needed in maybe 10 years of consoles keep games requirements low as it always does.