Square Enix Confirms Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Limited Edition

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Square Enix Confirms Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Limited Edition

Square Enix has released a details about the Limited Edition and a new trailer comparing the original versions to their HD upgrades.

Recently, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125391-Final-Fantasy-X-X-2-HD-Remaster-May-Get-Limited-Edition>GameStop let it slip that Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster was probably going to be getting a limited release version, presumably containing some nifty extras. Now, Square Enix has confirmed the Limited Edition to be real and released details to wet the appetites of eager fans. Additionally the company has also put out a new video comparing the original games on the PlayStation 2 to the upgraded high definition versions that will be included in Remaster.

The video is pretty self explanatory, showing off a split version of the opening sequence of Final Fantasy X with the standard definition game on the left and the high definition upgrade on the right. To Square Enix's credit, the improvements are actually quite impressive. The new edition is a lot smoother to the eye, and definitely earns its HD moniker.

Fans interested in the Limited Edition meanwhile, will find themselves in line for some neat extras. In addition to special packaging for the game itself, the Limited Edition will include a <a href=http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/09/final-fantasy-xx-2-sd-vs-hd-video-pre-order-for-art-book-edition/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PSBlog+%28PlayStation.Blog%29>twenty-four page book filled with concept art from the early stages of Final Fantasy X and X-2's development. The book will also include quotes and commentary from members of the original development team and a special message from producer Yoshinori Kitase, who was heavily involved in both games. Fans hoping to snag a copy of the Limited Edition can receive a free upgrade by pre-ordering Remaster. The collection itself still has no official release date, but according to Square Enix, we "won't have to wait long because it's coming [soon]!"

Source: <a href=http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/09/final-fantasy-xx-2-sd-vs-hd-video-pre-order-for-art-book-edition/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PSBlog+%28PlayStation.Blog%29>PlayStation Blog

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I find the change of colour on Tidus' hair interesting. I want to see how it's going to feel when he looks a bit more real and less cartoony, but other than that it looks beautiful and I want them to hurry up and release it =D

Zelgon

Jul 28, 2010
Do I need to preorder from Gamestop or Square directly? This edition must be mine.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
My main question is this, are the remasters the International versions?
Mainly because I cancelled my Let's Play of FF X International and was told that these would contain the International editions, and if that is true then I can pick up on that again. Otherwise it's back to Final Fantasy X International on the PS2.
The art book is neat, but will it be the same preorder in Japan as well? I ask because when I imported Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix I ended up getting a code for the Kingdom Hearts Browser game made by Square Enix, however in the US and Europe you'll be only getting the art book and not the Browser game it would seem.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Yes it looks good, and i hope it does well, however at least form the video i hope there is still work to do on the lighting as it looks a little flat to me compared to the original. I have done my own mini remaster with an emulator (ok just messing with the settings but still) and although the models and textures are nowhere near as detailed as this remake the better lighting form the older one makes it look a bit more alive to me. i don't know it could be that the slight blurriness form the lower resolution models make it feel a bit more organic.

That being said i will still pick it up at some point i mean i am quite happy with the anniversary edition of FF7 that was put on steam recently ( yes i know it has been out for a while).

I hope it does well, i am looking forward to that more than i am the latest crap they are going to try to call a final fantasy game.

Oh and PLEASE PLEASE can we have Japanese voice option in the English version PLEASE!

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Neronium said:
Mainly because I cancelled my Let's Play of FF X International and was told that these would contain the International editions, and if that is true then I can pick up on that again. Otherwise it's back to Final Fantasy X International on the PS2.
The art book is neat, but will it be the same preorder in Japan as well? I ask because when I imported Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix I ended up getting a code for the Kingdom Hearts Browser game made by Square Enix, however in the US and Europe you'll be only getting the art book and not the Browser game it would seem.
The Remaster versions are based on the International Editions.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
StewShearer said:
Neronium said:
The Remaster versions are based on the International Editions.
Hooray, which means me importing FF X International was pointless! :D
Seriously, Square loves to troll me at times. *puts on tinfoil hat*

On the bright side I didn't import X-2 International + Last Mission otherwise I'd have wasted more money. Now to wait for them to come out to re-start the LP again. *sits in corner and waits*

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
I would strongly consider buying this game if a) it was the international version, with dark aeons and stuff, and 2) it includes a new game+ option. I'd hate to have to redo all those @*$%&# mini-games more than once.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
The_Great_Galendo said:
I would strongly consider buying this game if a) it was the international version, with dark aeons and stuff, and 2) it includes a new game+ option. I'd hate to have to redo all those @*$%&# mini-games more than once.
According to the StewShearer of the article the International versions are what the remasters are. Also, there have never been New Game + in the International versions to my knowledge, otherwise it'd be too easy.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
alj said:
Oh and PLEASE PLEASE can we have Japanese voice option in the English version PLEASE!
i believe SE said that it wouldn't, mainly due to needing to fit on PSVita.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
To be honest, I am not that impressed with the HD-ness but I will still get it 'cos I love that game. It's the only FF that I've liked so far ... not that I have played any of the others really.

The textures are still kind of blurry and rough around the edges.

I think it's quite interesting how they changed the shade of things though, such as Yuna's face and Kimahri's fur on his shoulders.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Neronium said:
The_Great_Galendo said:
According to the StewShearer of the article the International versions are what the remasters are. Also, there have never been New Game + in the International versions to my knowledge, otherwise it'd be too easy.
Pretty doubtful about the new game+ for the FFX remaster but X-2 does have the option, so I guess it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. As for the "too easy" thing, if people want the option to breeze through the game there really isn't any reason why they shouldn't have it if they actually beat the game normally first.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Tiamattt said:
Neronium said:
The_Great_Galendo said:
Pretty doubtful about the new game+ for the FFX remaster but X-2 does have the option, so I guess it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. As for the "too easy" thing, if people want the option to breeze through the game there really isn't any reason why they shouldn't have it if they actually beat the game normally first.
Ah, didn't know about the x-2 one since I don't own X-2 International. But I guess they can have that option if they want, it just feels like it makes things too easy unless they ramp up the difficulty of the monsters as well like how they do in the Challenge modes for Ratchet and Clank.

Edit: Seems I was wrong about the New Game Plus thing in Internationals as XII International has 2 New Game Plus modes and then X-2 International seems to have one. I apologize.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Damn you SE. I said you would never agin get money out of me using Final Fantasy (due to me hating everything after X) but that looks so much better than when I use my ps2. You win. I will get it.

Edit: Or I would get it if it were available for preorder in uk. But it is not. So now I both love and hate you. Damned SE!

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
alj said:
Yes it looks good, and i hope it does well, however at least form the video i hope there is still work to do on the lighting as it looks a little flat to me compared to the original. I have done my own mini remaster with an emulator (ok just messing with the settings but still) and although the models and textures are nowhere near as detailed as this remake the better lighting form the older one makes it look a bit more alive to me. i don't know it could be that the slight blurriness form the lower resolution models make it feel a bit more organic.

That being said i will still pick it up at some point i mean i am quite happy with the anniversary edition of FF7 that was put on steam recently ( yes i know it has been out for a while).

I hope it does well, i am looking forward to that more than i am the latest crap they are going to try to call a final fantasy game.

Let me guess? The laughing scene?

The voice acting was good. Melodramatic at times, but that's on the voice director. Like most Square games, the VAing was well above average.

But no, everyone sees the laughter scene, takes it well out of context, and claims the whole game sucks in English. *sigh*.
Set the laughing scene aside and there are still some rough moments. Basically whenever Tidus opens his mouth...