The Wolverine Battles Yakuza In New, Bloodless Fight Scene

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
The Wolverine Battles Yakuza In New, Bloodless Fight Scene

Twentieth Century Fox has released new footage from The Wolverine, depicting the titular hero throwing down against a train car full of thugs.

The Wolverine is an upcoming film based on the hyper-popular Marvel Comics' antihero of the same name. It focuses on the years Logan/James Howlett/Weapon X/Wolverine/Patch spent in Japan, and as such it pits our gruff hero against all sorts of Japanese criminals. Well actually, it's mostly just the Yakuza, but as far as nameless mooks in dark suits, the Yakuza does pretty well for itself. The same can't be said for those who decide to attack Wolverine on a commuter train, but that's not the weird part of this video.

Okay, let's back up one moment and examine the situation here. You've got a gang of Japanese thugs, all armed with at least knives, and with no compunctions about stabbing people - particularly gaijin mutants. In the opposite corner we've got a centuries-old superhuman with retractable, unbreakable claws and a healing factor that makes him nigh-invulnerable. Point being: Every other object in that train has a sharp, cutting edge, yet the only things being slashed apart are pointless bits of scenery.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasoning behind this move. If Wolverine went into a canonically-appropriate Berserker Rage and slashed those dudes into julienne chunks (complete with Kurosawa-style arterial spray) the ratings board people would have a coronary. This is a $100 million film, and the executives at Fox are smart enough to realize that a comic book film of that scope needs a PG-13 rating to ensure its profitability. Could a hyper-gory Wolverine flick make good money? It might, but the odds of a PG-13 film doing the same are much, much higher.

Thus, we've got a film whose main character has been seemingly stripped of his trademark tendency to cut dudes in half in the name of capitalism. Disappointing. Here's hoping the inevitable director's cut is an orgy of blood.

Source: YouTube [http://youtu.be/5OKT5YceMCQ]

Fudj

May 1, 2008
To be honest after the last wolverine movie i'm not all that surprised, that was a bad bad movie. This wasn't going to be one i was lining up to see anyway so thankfully the news bothers me very little.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I know folks who are really, really looking forward to this film. It looks like such a turd! The mind boggles.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
From the rock bottom that was the last Wolverine film, this can only do better. Admittedly, better still doesn't mean it will anywhere near good, or even passable.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I really want this movie to fail. Then I really want a bunch of people to get together and sue Fox for damaging the brand. Then I want Marvel to get X-men and Wolverine back. Then I want a Deadpool movie. Then I want world peace, immortality, and a mountain of gold...

OT: (more or less), Kick-Ass did okay with an R rating. I think a properly done Wolverine movie would do better than okay. I'm not sure i'll live long enough to see one though.

Not only is this one PG, but... Silver Samurai is a robot? Pass.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
It's too bad about the last movie, b/c if they hadn't screwed up Deadpool, it would have been amazing. As for this one, I can understand the lack off ridiculous blood.

But I think the content needs to still be good. Arguably, I would have rated Dark Knight on the barest edge of R. Not b/c of the violence per se, but I very much doubt that little kids would NOT be freaked out by it.

Oddly enough, I'm fine with Wolvie doing something similar.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Nimzabaat said:
I really want this movie to fail. Then I really want a bunch of people to get together and sue Fox for damaging the brand. Then I want Marvel to get X-men and Wolverine back. Then I want a Deadpool movie. Then I want world peace, immortality, and a mountain of gold...
Don't we all, Nimzabaat. Don't we all.

If that we could finally have a proper cross-over movie, and one that doesn't suck.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I think my dream of a Hulk vs Wolverine film where Wolverine gets ripped in half and Hulk uses him as a meat-stole/hat combo are fading by the week :(

I still can't help but laugh at the stupid "Graaah! am flyin' atchoo" moment at the end of that trailer.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Question: is that image part of a plot point where Wolverine becomes allergic to shirts?

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Nimzabaat said:

OT: (more or less), Kick-Ass did okay with an R rating. I think a properly done Wolverine movie would do better than okay. I'm not sure i'll live long enough to see one though.

Not only is this one PG, but... Silver Samurai is a robot? Pass.
You're easily most likely to get immortality, based off that list.

OT: Movie looks awful, but is anyone surprised?
Just imagine how awful immortality would be... ANOTHER CRAPPY REBOOT? NOOOOO!!!!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm sorry, but...

WHY THE FUCK DOES HE HAVE A SWORD? He has SWORDS ON HIS HANDS. Okay, maybe not actual swords, but FREAKING CLOSE ENOUGH! The only benefit a sword could give him is maybe an extra foot of range on his reach, and considering he's probably way more proficient with his own claws, WHY USE IT?

No blood at all, though? You can have deep cuts without gore. You can have light slashes and things without gore. There can be cutting without gore.

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm not talking about the scene, just the poster.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
You don't need big, stupid action setpieces in a Wolverine movie. Just stick him in an abandoned warehouse full of bad guys and have him Kill Bill his way through hundreds of them. Tarantino can make an R-Rated slaughterfest that makes money, and so can Zack Snyder, so why doesn't Fox try and ape that success?

People turn up for R-Rated action, but I guess the question is if they'll turn up to an R-Rated superhero film. I hope somebody tries before Hugh Jackman gets too old and exits stage left.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I enjoyed the last film for what it was, though the comic inaccuracies made me want to murder everyone at Fox. That said, this isn't looking bad. I see all the negativity around saying this movie looks bad. I think it's, at least in this case, partially cool hate it. The way I see it, they covered the origin story the last time around, so we can get into the nitty gritty of Wolverine, and his periods in Japan are some of the best in his whole mythos. Also, Silver Samurai is an awesome villain, so that should be awesome.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I know it's a film and blah blah blah, but surely his claws are sharp to the point that sticking them into the roof of the train would do nothing at all to hold him in place?

Dunno why, but that really sticks out to me.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
There's an old saying, from Aesop no less; "Try to make everyone happy and you'll end up pleasing no one." To that I replay try to make it so everyone can see your movie, you'll end up flop. It's a superhero movie yes, but kids aren't going to be the first ones lining up to see it. Don't make this movie into another Live Free or Die Hard

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Yeah could not give 2 shits about this movie and I am a HUGE Wolverine fan. This is not a movie that portrays the character. This is a move about Stab man the least violent Xman not hurting people because that would show blood...