Rumor: Expendables 3 Picks Up Mel Gibson, Steven Seagal

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008

Word from Bulgaria (the shooting location for The Expendables 3) has it that Mel Gibson and Steven Seagal will be the next stars to join the latter-day action hero franchise.

The Expendables 3 is currently filming in Bulgaria. This being a major Hollywood production, the Bulgarian media is all over the project. Thus, while we have to earmark this news as a rumor, when multiple sources in that country start to claim that Mel Gibson and Steven Seagal will be joining the film's cast, we can't help but report on the morbidly interesting news.

Here's a summation courtesy an Expendables fan site known as "EXBlog:"

Today many Bulgarian news sites have reported again that Gibson has negotiated (or is) with Stallone to play the #1 villain role in [The Expendables 3]. In addition to reporting Gibson, there are now new elements in the Bulgarian reports confirming that Seagal will fight Gibson alongside Stallone, Statham & Lundgren, and that the script has been rewritten many times to create enough room for so many stars specially after Schwarzenegger has joined the cast, and to include Chan, Cage, Snipes, Jovovich & Rourke.

As the EXBlog report points out, there's no official source on this news beyond Bulgarian media outlets, so it may be a false claim or a misunderstanding. However, this information does square with prior reports on the film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124523-Expendables-3-Eyes-Snipes-Chan-Jovovich] and adding Seagal and Gibson to the cast would seem perfectly in line with star Sylvester Stallone's vision of this franchise as something of an all-star mashup of overtly-masculine action heroes whose halcyon days ended circa 1995 (if not earlier).

A few moments ago I described this information as "morbidly interesting," for two very good reasons. The first would be Steven Seagal's current body shape. If you haven't seen the actor for the past decade, you could be forgiven for assuming he's still a badass martial artist. In fact though, he's put on quite a bit of weight and, not to be catty, but the man just looks bloated. Like the week-old corpse of an elk. That's a recent picture of Seagal inexplicably hanging out with Russian President Vladimir Putin embedded at top-right, and well, you've got eyes.

The second reason would be Mel Gibson's very public drunken, anti-semitic outburst [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson#Alcohol_abuse_and_legal_issues] from a few years back. Not only has he repeatedly defamed the Jews, he also sexually harassed a female police officer, and a short while later it was revealed that Gibson's relationship with then-wife Robyn Moore could be best described as "chaotic" (though "emotionally abusive" would also be an apt descriptor, and the key reason for their divorce, in which Gibson lost $400 million).

Point being: Neither of these men is in their prime, and may be unable to even convincingly fake it. Possibly moreso than the current Expendables cast. If Seagal and Gibson do join the film, we doubt they'll bring much novelty to the formula, but maybe if we hope hard enough they'll at least be entertaining.

Source: EXBlog [http://www.exflix.blogspot.com/2013/07/gibson-in-bulgarian-news-again-seagal.html]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I don't think they realise that adding more recognisable names doesn't automatically make them better. If anything, the fact that the second one was worse than the first would suggest the opposite.

Plus it's normally best to avoid using out-of-their-prime actors who also have a bad reputation.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Because NO ONE demanded it.

...yeah, I think I'm gonna be reading that weekend.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Well, who knows with Seagal, although fat or not he's still pretty damn big and intimidating looking so I'm sure they can work him into something, if not his usual fighting prowess role, although with enough editing they can probably make that work too.

But as for Gibson, the choice seems odd as he's not really an action star in the first place. Yes he's had plenty of action and violence based roles to go around, but he's usually not the one-man army sort of character that these other guys tend to be. But whatever, he's still an old big name, and they'll stick him somewhere.

Also, "Neither of these men is in their prime, and may be unable to even convincingly fake it.". That's true of Segal, sure. But Gibson being regarded as an asshole and jew hater is hardly going to impact his ability to do the role. That's a bad press issue, not a character issue.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I think we all know what the real rumor news is here...

to include Chan, Cage, Snipes, Jovovich

Also, I have a cousin who looks quite fat in a t-shirt but in reality it's all muscle. I know Seagal's face is a little flabby looking there but you never know till he lifts his shirt.

Rakschas

Jan 7, 2013
Snipes hasnt been in any movies recently due to his prison sentence. Lets hope he is up to the task, even mad action skills can get rusty sitting on your arse for a few years.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
The first would be Steven Seagal's current body shape. If you haven't seen the actor for the past decade, you could be forgiven for assuming he's still a badass martial artist. In fact though, he's put on quite a bit of weight and, not to be catty, but the man just looks bloated.
Are you actually implying Seagal isn't a badass anymore?
jdogtwodolla said:

I can see it now. The Expendables go to a warehouse and come across a Chinese maintenance worker surrounded by terrorists/mercenaries/bad guys/whatever. They descend upon him, figuring that having a hostage could only benefit them. The man claims he "wants no trouble" when suddenly he backs up into a folding ladder...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I did always wonder how one could possibly make this abomination worse... they have found the way, I guess the only way from here is to get Lucas in for the next iteration.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm surprised Dennis Rodman didn't make the list.
It's only a matter of time. If they keep making money, I'll bet he features in 5 or 6.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Do hope they kick out Norris. Way to over rated and brought absolutely nothing.

Haven't enjoyed a Seagal film in a while, his old ones were way better than that true justice series.
Don't think that Gibson have played in a movie in a while but the Lethal Weapon series was awesome.

As for the rest of the actors it is promising, Chan, Cage, Snipes, Jovovich & Rourke.

I think i would enjoy this. Then again i also enjoyed 1 and 2.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Stephen Seagall

Oh.. no.. oh no! I mean his movies have gone bad very bad, in the way of direct to video bad.

He doesn't do his own stunts even anymore.. have you look at him. Really..

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Kalezian said:
jdogtwodolla said:

Also, I have a cousin who looks quite fat in a t-shirt but in reality it's all muscle. I know Seagal's face is a little flabby looking there but you never know till he lifts his shirt.
Steven Seagal is so out of shape, for some of his final direct to video movies they had a body double to do walking scenes.

yes, that is not a joke.

want to know why nearly all of his final movies are actually darkly lighten? because they were trying to hide his body shape, and when they couldn't do that, it was trenchcoat time. Nearly all his talking scenes are upper body if not only head shots, and bonus points for every time it was still a dark scene.

Now, if they pull a lampshade and have him with an entourage of body doubles to fight for him, this movie might be a bit better.
Well, I'll take you word for it because that describes all the recent movies I've seen him in. I heard that when it came to his martial arts that he was very egotistical and full of himself. I wonder what he feels nowadays.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
1) I didn't think anyone starring in the Expendables franchise was in their prime.
2) Can't we look back at least over a decade and agree that Seagull looked bloated even then?
3) I'm still yet to see an Expendables film. I look forward to maintaining that claim.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
So a hardcore Buddhist and a hate full antisemitic bigot? I wonder how they get along.
Also now I want Putin in this movie.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Steven Seagul is staring in a movie that isn't his own? THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!

And it will be awesome.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The Seagull doesn't need to be in shape, it's in his contract that his characters aren't allowed to be hit more than twice in any movie.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:

Word from Bulgaria (the shooting location for The Expendables 3) has it that Mel Gibson and Steven Seagal will be the next stars to join the latter-day action hero franchise.

The Expendables 3 is currently filming in Bulgaria. This being a major Hollywood production, the Bulgarian media is all over the project. Thus, while we have to earmark this news as a rumor, when multiple sources in that country start to claim that Mel Gibson and Steven Seagal will be joining the film's cast, we can't help but report on the morbidly interesting news.

Here's a summation courtesy an Expendables fan site known as "EXBlog:"

Today many Bulgarian news sites have reported again that Gibson has negotiated (or is) with Stallone to play the #1 villain role in [The Expendables 3]. In addition to reporting Gibson, there are now new elements in the Bulgarian reports confirming that Seagal will fight Gibson alongside Stallone, Statham & Lundgren, and that the script has been rewritten many times to create enough room for so many stars specially after Schwarzenegger has joined the cast, and to include Chan, Cage, Snipes, Jovovich & Rourke.

As the EXBlog report points out, there's no official source on this news beyond Bulgarian media outlets, so it may be a false claim or a misunderstanding. However, this information does square with prior reports on the film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124523-Expendables-3-Eyes-Snipes-Chan-Jovovich] and adding Seagal and Gibson to the cast would seem perfectly in line with star Sylvester Stallone's vision of this franchise as something of an all-star mashup of overtly-masculine action heroes whose halcyon days ended circa 1995 (if not earlier).

A few moments ago I described this information as "morbidly interesting," for two very good reasons. The first would be Steven Seagal's current body shape. If you haven't seen the actor for the past decade, you could be forgiven for assuming he's still a badass martial artist. In fact though, he's put on quite a bit of weight and, not to be catty, but the man just looks bloated. Like the week-old corpse of an elk. That's a recent picture of Seagal inexplicably hanging out with Russian President Vladimir Putin embedded at top-right, and well, you've got eyes.

The second reason would be Mel Gibson's very public drunken, anti-semitic outburst [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson#Alcohol_abuse_and_legal_issues] from a few years back. Not only has he repeatedly defamed the Jews, he also sexually harassed a female police officer, and a short while later it was revealed that Gibson's relationship with then-wife Robyn Moore could be best described as "chaotic" (though "emotionally abusive" would also be an apt descriptor, and the key reason for their divorce, in which Gibson lost $400 million).

Point being: Neither of these men is in their prime, and may be unable to even convincingly fake it. Possibly moreso than the current Expendables cast. If Seagal and Gibson do join the film, we doubt they'll bring much novelty to the formula, but maybe if we hope hard enough they'll at least be entertaining.

Source: EXBlog [http://www.exflix.blogspot.com/2013/07/gibson-in-bulgarian-news-again-seagal.html]

Mel Gibson!?
HOT DIGGITY DAFFODIL!!! I love that guy!

Steven Seagal?
as what? a background farm pig?