Mega Man Turns 25, Spawns Exclusive UDON Art Book

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mega Man Turns 25, Spawns Exclusive UDON Art Book

UDON is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Mega Man franchise by releasing a new, hardcover art book.

Mega Man made his debut on December 18, 1987. Technically speaking, that makes the Blue Bomber closer to 26 years of age than 25, but as a Capcom property the firm will celebrate his birthday any time they please. This is the same company that celebrated the 25th anniversary of Street Fighter for three years running, so just forget about the specific dates here and instead be happy at the presents we're receiving for this particular birthday.

Specifically, I'm talking about UDON's newly-revealed MM25: Mega Man & Mega Man X Official Complete Works According to UDON's press release, the massive hardcover tome features "over 400 pages of official game art, concept designs and sketches, rare pin-ups, and all-new tribute art." Further, UDON also claims to have collected a number of rare production notes from throughout the history of the Mega Man franchise which have, for the first time, been translated into English.

So, how much will all of this Mega Man fan service set you back? $100. It's a big book, thus it features a big price tag. Don't act so surprised. As for when you can pick the book up, that depends on your near-term travel plans. While the book is slated to go on sale on July 17, attendees of Comic-Con 2013 who visit UDON's booth will have the first opportunity to buy MM25: Mega Man & Mega Man X Official Complete Works. Fortunately it's not a Comic-Con exclusive, or that $100 price tag would quickly double and triple.

There are a few sample pages in the gallery below, just in case you're still on the fence about this book. Here's hoping Capcom can hold off on canceling this Mega Man project before you figure things out.

[gallery=1628]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Oh look, I see references to Megaman Legends in the samples? You know Capcom, you really should've let Inafune or Hiroshi Matsuyama finish it when they offered to do so, but nope instead you blamed the fans. >.>

Seriously, I find it sad how other companies are showing more love to the Blue Bomber than the actual company that owns him at this point. But the book itself looks really cool I'll admit and I'd love to get it.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Alright! 25 years old! Can't wait for the game they plan to release to commemorate it!... Capcom...? Well, when you decide to do something with megaman again instead of simply being a character in a fighting game, call us.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
No offense, Capcom, but this is it?

Oh well. At least they're acknowledging his existence now.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
Yeah that's nice where's the 25th anniversary game...hell even just a whopping collection for all original series, Gameboy games, spin off games (soccer, racing, power battles.) and X series all on current genre systems disc. That would be something.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wait. Is this even being supported by Capcom? This is just pathetic. No, it maybe worse. To think that one of the most ionic figures in gaming could turn 25 without so much as a official collection of his games. I could accept this from Laura Croft or God of War (and I love GoW), but not Mega Man.

This is absolutely shameful. To think that they would do so little with Mega Man. They love to tease Mega Man Legends characters, but no game. Digital games for several recent titles. Zero has been getting more love!

Call me when Capcom actually starts supporting one of their most iconic characters, again.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
You know what would have been nice for Mega Man's 25th? Capcom treating the property well for the first time in a long while. The Blue Bomber appearing in fighting games (and games that wish they were fighting games) doesn't quite cut it. Legends 3 was killed. X was left hanging. ZX was left on a cliffhanger.

To be fair, at least something happened for Mega Man's 25th. I don't recall anything happening when Metroid turned 25.