Level 5 Character Poll Seized by Trolls. Level 5 Rolls With it

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Level 5 Character Poll Seized by Trolls. Level 5 Rolls With it

Level 5 has produced an exclusive 15th anniversary wallpaper consisting of the joke characters internet trolls votebombed in an online poll.

Level 5 learned the hard way that you don't just nicely ask the internet which characters should get an exclusive wallpaper as part of its 15th anniversary celebrations. You would have thought Professor Layton would be right on top of such a list, but after internet trolls got their grubby little hands on it, it quickly turned into a collection of minor and joke characters. The plane from Aero Porter topped the list, with a handful of minor characters from Inazuma Eleven rounding out the top ten. Rather than throw the results out and start a new poll, Level 5 just decided to roll with it, and produced the wallpaper anyway [http://www.level5.co.jp/15th/vote/].

An admirable effort from what is quickly becoming our favorite quirky little Japanese developer. Where pretty much every other instance of this kind of thing happening ended up with the organizers sifting through votes to find the actual most popular choices, it's really cool to see Level 5 just take it in stride.

For your information, the plane managed to amass over 46,000 votes, while second place, pink haired and ponytailed minor character from soccer series Inazuma Eleven: Ranmaru Kirino, snagged over 38,000. Mamoru Endou, the main Inazuma Eleven protagonist, came in at 11th place, while Professor Layton was right down there at 13th place.

Level-5 honcho Akihiro Hino Tweeted [https://twitter.com/AkihiroHino/statuses/343245624818417665] that he wanted the vote manipulation to stop, but this only served to spur on the trolls. As part of its 15th anniversary celebration, several Level 5 titles on all of its systems are enjoying discounts on their respective online shops.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.level5.co.jp/15th/vote/]

Dec 14, 2009
An admirable effort from what is quickly becoming our favorite quirky little Japanese developer.
Bu...But guys? What about Platinum, don't you love them any more?

[HEADING=1]I will not accept this![/HEADING]

And peace was restored.

OT: Nice to see they can take a joke :D

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
That group shouldn't be standing so close to a low flying plane.
Panel 2 of this image is them all flying into the air from the updraft.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I'm laughing way to hard at this.

Really? Why the heck was a plane even part of this?

Oh well. At least Level 5 was in good humor.
Also some minor characters got the spotlight.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I have never seen any of these characters ever.

Apart from the plane.
He's a shady fucker.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Thyunda said:
What did the trolls expect to happen...?
Trolls dont expect anythin to happen. They troll, hope someone gets pissed off and wastes their time dealin with the trollin, then move on into the shadows.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
It's always nice to see people roll with stuff like this. It -is- a bit of a dick move for trolls to skew polls that have a tangible outcome like what a poster is going to feature but at the same time...

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
That is an awesome plane. A truly worth winner!

So ..some of those are from a footbal game. Interesting!

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
I can see why that plane got 47,000 votes; it has such a screen presence. It could literally cut me in half if it so wanted.

...Kind of like how Moot was time person of the year.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I loved that plane. Its story arc was probably one of the most complete and satisfying experiences I've ever had.

Aug 31, 2012
Eclipse Dragon said:
That group shouldn't be standing so close to a low flying plane.
Panel 2 of this image is them all flying into the air from the updraft.
It's not flying, it's crashing. The next panel is just pieces of aircraft fuselage and mangled body parts

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's too bad I can't see my icons behind this wallpaper, otherwise I'd use it. I just don't like busy wallpapers, though.

P.S. Thanks

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
This seems like a situation where we're all winners. The trolls get what they asked for, the fans get a funny inside joke (already applied the wallpaper to my work computer), and level 5 gets some good publicity. Thumbs up all around.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Alright I just looked at Inazuma Eleven and now I think I'll have to play it.

Also Mmm.. Dat Plane.