EVO 2013 Starts Today, Here's How To Watch

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
EVO 2013 Starts Today, Here's How To Watch

The annual EVO fighting game tournament opened its doors this morning, and thanks to the magic of the Internet those of you stuck at home need not miss a single crucial moment.

EVO is something of a mecca for fighting game fans. It's an annual tournament that pits the world's best virtual fighters against one another, and often features gameplay that is so far beyond what the average person is capable of that it becomes nigh-incomprehensible. Fortunately the fighting game community has been making great strides of late in its efforts to attract new people to the scene, and as such even those who can't attend EVO are quite capable of enjoying the festivities.

The first thing you'll need is a schedule of events. The second thing you'll need is a streaming service. Fortunately Twitch.tv has you covered on both fronts. Simply pay a visit to the official EVO channel [http://www.twitch.tv/team/evo], and you'll see a live stream of the currently played games as well as a handy spreadsheet documenting the latest streaming schedule. At the time this article was written, the stream is currently focused on a Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition match between players calling themselves "Dr. Funkatronic" (Sagat) and "Hoo-Da-Man" (E. Honda).

Obviously, if you're watching EVO from home (or the office, or a particularly well-appointed tent in the woods somewhere) you won't get the full effect of actually attending the event, but at the same time you also won't be embroiled in any tiresome industry drama, or have to suffer the stench of those omnipresent con attendees who've apparently never met a shower they didn't hate. Still, if you're only in it to watch a bunch of fictional characters beat the stuffing out of one another in impressive fashion, you should keep an eye on the Twitch stream.

Source: Twitch [http://www.twitch.tv/team/evo]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
No Blazblue at EVO this year?! Booooooooooooo!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I can't be arsed to watch the live stream, especially considering I'm in the GMT+1 time zone. Will definitely give a look over some fights later on YouTube, I'm interested in watching some Injustice pros to see what they can do.

I'm sad that they banned Zod from the tournament (the "too new" argument is BS imo, if it's too new to learn how to counter, it's too new to learn how to play it as a pro too), I really wanted to see him in the hands of some really amazing players. He seems really clunky to me and while I can use him on new and semi decent players, anything above that, I feel he's way too slow. Maybe he's just not my kind of guy, but that's why I wanted to see someone pro play him, see what they could do with him.

edit: what time zone is that schedule in?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Vrach said:
edit: what time zone is that schedule in?
Pacific, or GMT -8.

Addendum: I'm kinda salty (okay, very salty) that I'll be missing almost all the finals this year. Fucking work schedule. >__o