2K: BioShock Could Have Five Sequels

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
2K: BioShock Could Have Five Sequels

2K President Christoph Hartmann says The Matrix [http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/]."

A sequel to the hit FPS was a foregone conclusion, and the MCV [http://www.playstation.com], Hartmann said BioShock 2 might be just the beginning of a long series of games, and implied that 2K would handle the franchise differently - and better - than many other publishers.

"Some of the mega-franchises we talk about only lasted ten years because companies took five years to ship a game," he said. "Look at Duke Nukem [http://www.3drealms.com/duke4/]. It's been a great franchise for 20 years, because it seems like it's been in development for 20 years."

"For Bioshock, because it's so story driven, the question obviously arises: how long can you do it without turning into The Matrix?" he continued. "The first Matrix was great, the second one was weird and the third one, you thought: 'Who [making this] is on crack and who isn't?' But then again, look at Star Wars [http://www.starwars.com]. It's a fight between good and evil, just like BioShock. If we spin it the right way and get the right twist of innovation, we can make six parts of it, as Star Wars did."

The Star Wars movies may not be everyone's idea of the perfect franchise, but his point is clear enough and his commitment to the quality of the series is welcome. "We have to be careful not to cash in," he said. "I won't name the company, but there was a great racing game years ago. They brought it back year-on-year. If you look at the scores, it's hard to believe what they've done to it. It's upsetting, actually."

The appeal of more BioShock is obvious, but how the team at 2K Marin [http://www.2kmarin.com/] gets around the game's rather final ending will go a long way toward determining my interest in its future. I also thought BioShock was supposed to be about more than just a fight between good and evil, but maybe I'm just being pretentious. BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams is currently slated for release in fall 2009.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I can't wait for the second one to come out. Bioshock is one of my favorite games of all time. I am a little curious though as to how they are going to deal with the finality of the ending. 6 games seems like a bit much though. Here's to hoping that the franchise doesn't turn shitty and that they create another good story.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Yes, I'm looking forward to Bioshock 2, possibley 3.

But 4, 5 and 6? Wait, what? Your seriously going to keep milking that cow till its a shivled lump of an nipple? (nice imagery I know.)

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
so they're treating it like a movie of good vs evil instead of a game where the player can make choices?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Yah, um... Episode I ft. Jar Jar Binks? Episode II where Anakin was a whiny girl? Episode III where Anakin was a whiny girl?

Can anyone name any series that has gone on for six installments and not fizzled out by four?

Oyster^^

Dec 27, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Nothing says it has to be 6 FPS games. Also, I don't think using Star Wars as an example of six good movies is all that wise.
heheh. But the younglings!

I'm as intrigued as everyone else when it comes to boishock sequels. Where exactly are they going to fit into the timeline with the first one? I'm expecting something that takes place during the civil war itself, and maybe something parallel to the ryan-fontaine curfuffle.

luckshot, it's interesting that you bring up all of the "choices" in that game. What even was there? Kill or don't kill the little sisters. And whichever you chose barely affected the game apart from a ridiculous final cinematic. Although I never played through as the "evil" side, I understand that the end of the game plays out just the same, which doesn't really make much sense. I'm also disappointed that all of the hype about plasmids sort of disappeared. "To mutate or not to mutate" was the original pitch, but in the game there is no negative effect for mutating the crap out of yourself. Maybe a system like that could be examined in a prequel though...

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
*edit*

The full interview isn't up until tomorrow according to the MCV post, I suppose it's worth hearing him out.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
Yah, um... Episode I ft. Jar Jar Binks? Episode II where Anakin was a whiny girl? Episode III where Anakin was a whiny girl?

Can anyone name any series that has gone on for six installments and not fizzled out by four?
Final Fantasy? But that's a weird case. Tekken 6? Metal Gear? Or are we talking movies? I'd agree there, although Harry Potter will get to 7 of course.

Chilko

Dec 28, 2008
Mmm. No. BS is good, but i thought the end was a fairly definite closing, except for the bad endings, if there is a sequel, it's probably going to be some POS cop out like, O WAIT. THERE BE ANOTHER RAPTURE EXCEPT IT'S LIKE, SHAPED LIKE A KOK LOLOLOLOL NEVER GONNA- No.

Actually, that was a bit harsh, that's probably what BioShock 4 would be.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Oyster^^ said:
luckshot, it's interesting that you bring up all of the "choices" in that game. What even was there? Kill or don't kill the little sisters. And whichever you chose barely affected the game apart from a ridiculous final cinematic. Although I never played through as the "evil" side, [b/]I understand that the end of the game plays out just the same[/b], which doesn't really make much sense.
Umm...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f3nBbo-uyZo&feature=related

But yeah, both endings are pretty stupid and tagged on. It was one of the few things I found bad about the game.

anmolngm

Oct 19, 2008
Chilko said:
Mmm. No. BS is good, but i thought the end was a fairly definite closing, except for the bad endings, if there is a sequel, it's probably going to be some POS cop out like, O WAIT. THERE BE ANOTHER RAPTURE EXCEPT IT'S LIKE, SHAPED LIKE A KOK LOLOLOLOL NEVER GONNA- No.

Actually, that was a bit harsh, that's probably what BioShock 4 would be.
THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!! Although the sales probably won't go too well.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Meh. I don't even like BioShock, but maybe #2 will change my mind... or 3 or 4 or 5.

From what I understand of the story of BioShock isn't it going to be a pain to draw it out to more then 3 games? Sounds shaky at best to me (story wise).

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I haven't played much of Bioshock, but it looks like a very fun game and I'm eager to try it, and I'm certain that it can handle at least one sequel before turning sour, probably more. I'm interested to see how this goes.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
excellent. so we're gonna get three good games. then theyll wait 20years before 'remastering' the origionals n releasing 3 'prequels' (n a CGI spinoff...which I suppose will be like making it into an rts or 3rd person action-puzzler in game terms) that s@*t all over the franchise as was. I cant wait.