Rumor: Marvel Wants Joseph Gordon-Levitt For Doctor Strange

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rumor: Marvel Wants Joseph Gordon-Levitt For Doctor Strange

Word has it that Marvel Studios hopes to cast Dark Knight Rises star Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Doctor Strange for an upcoming superhero film adaptation.

That rumor comes courtesy Latino Review which cites an unnamed, "trusted source" who claims that Levitt has met with Marvel Studios and that the firm sees Levitt as the "ideal" choice for a cinematic adaptation of Doctor Strange.

Strange, for those of who lack an attic full of longboxes, was a talented, wealthy surgeon who mutilated his hand and was unable to continue in his profession. Following the accident, he travels the world seeking, well, whatever it is that you seek when your life is a shambles. To make a long story short, Strange meets a magical Asian man who he adopts as his servant, and shortly thereafter he becomes the Sorceror Supreme of the Marvel Universe. If that title is meaningless to you, just know that he's the guy that other superheroes go to when they have big, existence-threatening problems of the magical variety.

He's also been around for decades and features prominently in many Marvel stories, so it's inevitable that Strange will appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Levitt, as comic book fans already know, starred in The Dark Knight Rises, a film based on DC Comics' Batman property, but that shouldn't have any bearing on the possibility of his joining a Marvel Studios film. While the comic book wings of DC and Marvel are eternally locked in a struggle to determine the fate of geek allegiance, the cinematic off-shoots of these companies are free to trade actors at will. As you may recall, Ryan Reynolds portrayed DC's Green Lantern and Marvel's Deadpool (though since both roles were in terrible films, we won't blame you from erasing them from your memory).

As for this potential casting news, it sounds awesome. Levitt has proven himself a very competent actor, and he's enough of a darkly handsome guy that he could certainly pull off the alluringly mysterious aspect of the Doctor Strange character. Plus, that would add one more major, impressive name to the Marvel Cinematic Universe roster. Personally, I'd love to see an Avengers flick that teams Levitt with Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, et alia. If nothing else, that would be a very impressive, attractive ensemble.

Source: Latino Review [http://latino-review.com/2013/07/15/comic-con-2013-exclusive-marvel-doctor-strange/]

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Please no.

My dream casting would be Kevin Spacey, it'd be worth it just to see him and RDJ eventually meet up. Never mind the fact that he'd KILL in the role.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Surely there's aa better point of reference for this guy then 'Dark Knight Rises' star, I'd mostly forgotted he was even in it.

Looper maybe? Pretending you look like a young Bruce Willis is more noteworthy than being a minor sideline a Batman film.

Or "that kid from 3rd rock", maybe.

Anyways.. .He seems like a decent actior, but a bit hard to take seriously, too much of a young boyish look to him, not sure he's passable as anything other than a character that's suppoed to come across as "still has some growing up to do".

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
That would be a cool movie. I feel like Dr. Strange as the most interesting origin story. Levitt seems a little young but I'll have to see what he looks like with goatee to confirm this. If they do make it, let's hope it'll be better than the other Dr. Strange movie [http://www.cracked.com/article_17118_5-comic-book-movies-way-worse-than-batman-robin.html]

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Hmmm... maybe... just maybe...
Still prefer Jeff Bridges.

thetoddo said:
Please no.

My dream casting would be Kevin Spacey, it'd be worth it just to see him and RDJ eventually meet up. Never mind the fact that he'd KILL in the role.
<youtube=pWdd6_ZxX8c>

JayDig

Jun 28, 2008
There is a welsh guy named Luke Evans that would be a good Dr. Strange.

JGL would be good for lots of other marvel characters though.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
My only objection is that I feel that he looks a little bit young. Strange isn't old in the comics, but he definitely isn't as young as JGL looks like he is (I know that JGL is in his 30's, but he just looks so young). That said, I'm sure he will do a spectaular job if he does indeed get the role.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Hmmm... maybe... just maybe...
Still prefer Jeff Bridges.

thetoddo said:
Please no.

<youtube=pWdd6_ZxX8c>
He'd be ok in the role, but he already played Obediah Stane in Iron Man 1.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
He's too young. I don't doubt he'd make a good Strange in ten years though :p

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Also, something that throws this whole article's legitimacy out the window
<quote=Rumor: Marvel Wants Joseph Gordon-Levitt For Doctor Strange>
That rumor comes courtesy Latino Review which cites an unnamed, "trusted source" who claims that Levitt has met with Marvel Studios and that the firm sees Levitt as the "ideal" choice for a cinematic adaptation of Doctor Strange.

Here's teh source.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Fappy said:
He's too young. I don't doubt he'd make a good Strange in ten years though :p
Which would be about right when this movie gets off the ground. :/

Captcha: White Bread

Really Captcha?!? You just had to go there didn't you.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Nah, He's kinda too young looking.
Granted, I don't think that Dr. Strange is old himself, but the OP's pic along makes him look around 20.

IMO? Patrick Dempsey AKA Dr. Shepard from Grey's Anatomy.
Bit a work on his hair, grow a goatee, he could do the part.

That and the whole "Doctor" thing :p

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Also, something that throws this whole article's legitimacy out the window
<quote=Rumor: Marvel Wants Joseph Gordon-Levitt For Doctor Strange>

Here's teh source.
I hear what you're saying, but the Latino Review's rumors are usually spot on. I suspect bugs or bribes. :p

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
thetoddo said:
I hear what you're saying, but the Latino Review's rumors are usually spot on. I suspect bugs or bribes. :p
The thing is, Marvel (and Disney) are masters of preventing spoilers. THink of how few plot leaks there have been up til now. Plus, assuming this is real, why would Levit agree to this? I mean, he could be teh next Batman! Why would he pass that up?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
He seems a bit young, but give him some facial hair and he could maybe pull it off.

But to be honest, he could be played by fucking Nicolas Cage for all I care, as long as I get to see Dormammu on the big screen.

Jackel86

May 3, 2008
I love Levitt as an actor (was very disappointed when the rumors of him playing The Riddler weren't true), but he is just a bit too young for Strange. If strange was an accomplished surgeon, he would have to be at least in his mid-30s.

I still think Liam Neeson is the obvious choice. His Rash-Al Guul (or however you spell it) already kind of looked like Strange. He would just need all the robes and to die his hair a little.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
valium said:
Nic Cage, seriously, think about.

THINK ABOUT IT.

THINK ABOUT IT HARDER.

Genius, I know. You know you want this to happen, it would be amazing on multiple levels.
Disagree, Nic cage need to be Hank Pym, the guy just got the right kind of egotestical douchy insanity for Nic to perform at his best.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Damn it man there is only one real answer. [HEADING=1]Hugh Laurie.[/HEADING] He'd be perfect.