Avalanche: Mad Max "A Dream Come True"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Senior designer Peter Johansson believes gamers young and old will love Mad Max.

Avalanche Studios recently gave gamers their first glimpse of Mad Max, a game based off of the mold-breaking movie of the same name, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125983-Mad-Max-Debut-Gameplay-Trailer-Gets-the-Blues>with a trailer showcasing the open world title's gameplay. Now, Avalanche's Peter Johansson, senior designer for Mad Max, has offered new comments on the game and its potential appeal to gamers.

"[Mad Max is] like a dream come true," said Johansson. "We get to do what we love the most... crafting these really huge worlds, filling it with lots of action-packed content, and of course, giving the player lots of freedom to explore that content." While Avalanche itself is clearly excited, its enthusiasm may be rivaled by fans of the film franchise whose reactions to the game have been, by and large, positive. "It does seem that the response has been especially strong amount older folks; that image of the legendary Mad Max that they remember from watching the movies as kids." That said, Johannson also thinks the game will be able to find appeal beyond established franchise fans. "His vehicles, the wasteland... it's all part of our vernacular. It resonates quite well with younger players, so I think they're going to be equally excited."

Only time can tell if that will be the case. While Mad Max is certainly a significant franchise in the history of post-apocalyptic fiction, the fact remains that the original movie is now more than thirty years old and perhaps not as well known to newer generations. While old time fans are understandably eager, it will be interesting to see if younger gamers more familiar with newer franchises will respond as Avalanche hopes to its take on the title.

Source: Silconera

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
If it's still in America then it's not Mad Max, it's Fallout/Rage which while fun games ain't Mad Max. God their dumb.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
If it's not set in Australia-with genuine Australian voice actors-and genuine Australian references then I'm not interested.
If however it is Australian then I'm definitely going to get this-we definitely need more Australia in games or at least some place besides America:D

Apr 28, 2008
I do know they changed his accent, which is nice, but setting it in Australia would be better.

They say they can set the game wherever they want. Which, you know what? That's fine. If they want to set it in a place games haven't really been set, go for it! But then they choose to set it in the US. Ugh. The movies are popular and set in Australia, why the hell can't the game?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Pilkingtube said:
Is it set in Australia? I seem to remember them saying it was all 'Mericuh now.
It is and Max wasn't even an Aussie until they caved to fan pressure.

Unfortunately, everything I've seen for this so far make me think the Mad Max bit is a typically desperate attempt to give a hopeless game an instant fan base. Whether that's rue or not we'll see, but if it's a dream to these guys I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a nightmare by the end.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
It's sort of funny that just the setting alone being the US and not Australia, a seemingly superficial choice to the gameplay or story, has such weighting...but it does. I'd buy it if it was in Australia, and designed accordingly. It's really simple, but apparently not to be.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
It's sort of funny that just the setting alone being the US and not Australia, a seemingly superficial choice to the gameplay or story, has such weighting...but it does. I'd buy it if it was in Australia, and designed accordingly. It's really simple, but apparently not to be.
It's a weird sort of indelible quality but it informs how the characters act and speak, and I find that the Red Centre is visually distinct from places like the Mojave Desert for instance.

StewShearer said:

Senior designer Peter Johansson believes gamers young and old will love Mad Max.

Avalanche Studios recently gave gamers their first glimpse of Mad Max, a game based off of the mold-breaking movie of the same name, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125983-Mad-Max-Debut-Gameplay-Trailer-Gets-the-Blues>with a trailer showcasing the open world title's gameplay. Now, Avalanche's Peter Johansson, senior designer for Mad Max, has offered new comments on the game and its potential appeal to gamers.

"[Mad Max is] like a dream come true," said Johansson. "We get to do what we love the most... crafting these really huge worlds, filling it with lots of action-packed content, and of course, giving the player lots of freedom to explore that content." While Avalanche itself is clearly excited, its enthusiasm may be rivaled by fans of the film franchise whose reactions to the game have been, by and large, positive. "It does seem that the response has been especially strong amount older folks; that image of the legendary Mad Max that they remember from watching the movies as kids." That said, Johannson also thinks the game will be able to find appeal beyond established franchise fans. "His vehicles, the wasteland... it's all part of our vernacular. It resonates quite well with younger players, so I think they're going to be equally excited."

Only time can tell if that will be the case. While Mad Max is certainly a significant franchise in the history of post-apocalyptic fiction, the fact remains that the original movie is now more than thirty years old and perhaps not as well known to newer generations. While old time fans are understandably eager, it will be interesting to see if younger gamers more familiar with newer franchises will respond as Avalanche hopes to its take on the title.

Source: Silconera

Yeah, such a damn dream come true we had to browbeat you into keeping its unique cultural setting and flavour......

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, locale aside, I'm just glad that it's Avalanche doing it. They're the kings of giant-world action.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
gnjxgjgtrhu said:
Is it set in Australia? I seem to remember them saying it was all 'Mericuh now
They've said that Max will be Australian, but there's word on the setting.

So I mean, we could end up with an out of place Mad Max inexplicably driving around America for no reason other than the fact that it's more 'marketable'.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Well, locale aside, I'm just glad that it's Avalanche doing it. They're the kings of giant-world action.
Agreed. Just Cause 1&2 were amazing games. When I heard there was a Mad Max games I was like "Oh". Then I heard Avalanche was involved and I was like "Oh fuck yes!"