Respawn Talks Maximizing Mechs in Titanfall

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Respawn Talks Maximizing Mechs in Titanfall

According to Respawn it will be possible for every player on the map to have a mech at the same time.

Respawn's Titanfall has perhaps the greatest concept of any online first person shooter ever devised. It drops you into a battlefield filled to the brim with people and things to explode and then gives you, your teammates, and your enemies giant mechs (Titans) to do it with. To say we're looking forward to popping into the cockpit of our very own giant robot would be an understatement. One thing we're not looking forward to doing however, is sharing our mechanized murder machines. We know that it can't always be our turn, but we'll also admit that we plan to hog every Titan we can get our hands on.

Then again, we might not have to. Commenting recently on Titanfall, Respawn revealed players and teams more keen on fighting in the cockpit then on foot will have ways to maximize the presence of Titans in matches. "Titans are available throughout the match and are set to a timer. You can decrease the amount of time it takes to call in a Titan by completing objectives and getting kills. Once you lose your Titan the countdown starts again," said Abbe Heppe, community manager at Respawn. "It is possible that everyone in the match could have a Titan on the battlefield at the same time." This possibility of mecha filled maps is, in turn, something the studio has to compensate for in its level design. "We have to have maps that support not only the Titans which are over 20 feet tall but also human-sized Pilots, so even our "smaller" maps are pretty large comparatively. What's cool is each map has areas for Titans and areas for Pilots, so you get these smaller maps built into the larger ones and all these cool pathways through them."

Despite the inherent fun factor that comes with controlling a giant robot, from the sound of things it would actually be a bit of a shame if players opted to ignore the game's take on more standard foot soldiering. Granted, if players opt to create a game where Titans are more common that's on them. That said, considering the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10433-Preview-Titanfall-Has-Two-Different-Levels-of-Play>diverse options that Respawn is trying to work into the game, we'd hate to see one experience fall to the wayside in favor of another. Which facets players choose to enjoy however, is something we'll have to wait until next year to see.

Source: MKGaming

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This seems like fun. Is it just me or are giant robots the "new trend" now? Not a bad thing at all, just noticing something consistent lately.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Terminate421 said:
This seems like fun. Is it just me or are giant robots the "new trend" now?
Psh... I liked them before they were cool. My sexless high school years can stand as evidence.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
StewShearer said:
Terminate421 said:
This seems like fun. Is it just me or are giant robots the "new trend" now?
Psh... I liked them before they were cool. My sexless high school years can stand as evidence.
That speaks for both of us then.
*remembers watching Transformers, Megas XLR, and playing the PS2 Armored Core games*
I do have to admit that Titanfall looks interesting, but wait to see how it all holds up.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Wow. I'm impressed.

Five comments in and not one post saying, "I don't get why people are excited for Titanfall. It's just Call of Duty with mechs. Doesn't look fun at all."

Swear to God almost every news post on the Escapist about Titanfall, since the games reveal, has had dozens of posts just like that. I guess those people final got tired of shitting on everyones parade.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Anyway, glad to hear Respawn is spending a large portion of their time on balancing not only the interaction between mech and soldier, but also on intricate, functional map layout.

The only thing that still concerns me is it's exclusivity to Origin.

Don't misunderstand. I don't mean that I'm bothered by it being on Origin. My concern is with what other potential "shenanigans" EA may tack onto the front-end of the game, given they're the publisher. And, given what they've tried to get away with in the past when they had their hands on potentially very popular titles.

The back-end of the game sounds fantastic, but again...I worry about the front-end.

Basically, I'm worried about Titanfall turning into another Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
So it's news that some game featuring mechs will give people the ability to have mechs. That's cool, I guess. Go mech games...?!

Vigormortis said:
The only thing that still concerns me is it's exclusivity to Origin.

Don't misunderstand. I don't mean that I'm bothered by it being on Origin. My concern is with what other potential "shenanigans" EA may tack onto the front-end of the game, given they're the publisher. And, given what they've tried to get away with in the past when they had their hands on potentially very popular titles.

The back-end of the game sounds fantastic, but again...I worry about the front-end.

Basically, I'm worried about Titanfall turning into another Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3.
Ouch, it's made by EA and only on Origin. What a dealbreaker.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Absolutionis said:
So it's news that some game featuring mechs will give people the ability to have mechs. That's cool, I guess. Go mech games...?!
It's news when the thread author is reporting and commenting on a recent interview with members of the games dev team. Stewshearer isn't just remarking on some comment added to the games FAQ page.

News is the act of reporting on recent events and happenings. Just because that event may not be of interest to every single person, it doesn't mean it's not news.

Ouch, it's made by EA and only on Origin. What a dealbreaker.
If you're being serious, then I think you're being ridiculous.

If you're being sarcastic, then I think you've missed the point of my comment.

Either way, it's not being made by EA. It's only being published. Respawn has, as far as I'm aware, complete control over the back-end of the game.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE ON ORIGIN?!?!?!?!

Well crap I was excited about this game... Not going to install that spyware on purpose.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, their better be some GOOD reasons and rewards to being outside your giant death robot. Most players will play the fun rolls in a multiplayer game rather than the useful rolls. The reason I basically main medic in TF2 and Thresh in LoL is because everybody wants to be the Sniper/Spy or the ADC. Nobody wants to do the actual grunt work of keeping everybody alive and placing wards.

Although, the fact that the foot soldiers have jet packs should solve some of these issues.