Mars Mission Plan in the Works at Imperial College

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Mars Mission Plan in the Works at Imperial College

Mars has long been a target for manned missions, and recent months have seen several plans come to light.

Scientists at Imperial College London have designed a concept plan to send a three-person team to land on the surface of Mars. The team would launch when Earth and Mars were best aligned for the shortest possible flight. Even then, the flight to Mars would take at least nine months, during which the crew would be subjected to zero-gravity conditions and cosmic and solar radiation. The Imperial team brainstormed ways to circumvent technological and environmental difficulties preventing humans from successfully landing on Mars. The first difficulty: Zero gravity.

"Bone loss [in a weightless environment] is about 1-2 percent a month and if they're landing they'll be susceptible to fractures if they've got to be exerting themselves," explained Ryan Robinson, the Imperial team's physiologist. To avoid bone loss, the Imperial team theory-crafted a spacecraft that could produce its own gravity by splitting it into two sections: a habitation module and a Martian lander, connected by a 180-foot long cable. Each section would spin and generate enough centrifugal force to produce an artificial gravity that would mimic Earth's gravitational pull. The artificial gravity would gradually decrease during the flight, until it reached the gravitational pull of Mars, which is about 40 percent of Earth's.

Additionally, radiation from the sun as well as outer space presents a challenge, but the spacecraft could potentially be outfitted with water to help absorb some of the radiation or, more fitting with the sci-fi nature of the plan, the ship could also don superconducting magnets to create a magnetosphere, which would deflect the radiation entirely.

Once the team makes it to Mars, the lander would detach from the tether and land on the martian surface, while the cruise vehicle remained in orbit. The team would collect samples, plant flags, begin a galactic space war with aliens, and all those other things that astronauts in the movies do when they're the first to set foot on a planet. Once ready to leave, the team would disembark in a return vehicle that had been sent to Mars in advance, blast out of orbit and dock at the cruise vehicle for a triumphant 9-month journey home.

The plan is loosely based on the backpacker's motto: Don't overpack; pick up things as you go. In that sense, the Imperial team suggests sending only a habitat module, a rover and a return vehicle to Mars in advance of the flight. The rover could mine the Martian surface for water, which could then be split into hydrogen and oxygen to fuel the return flight back to Earth.

The Imperial Team's plan is a starting point, not the end game. It is intended to generate debate and ideas about how to tackle the obstacles involved in getting humans on the surface of Mars. "There are big, big jumps between a demonstration at one level and putting together the engineering systems for a mission, but they are engineering challenges," said Professor Tom Pike, who led the Imperial design team. "They are not fundamentally about making new discoveries."

Source: BBC News [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22952441]

Image: NASA [http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/UTILS/search.cgi]

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I think they should start making up stories about oil and coal deposits on Mars, if they do we will have a manned mission in less than five years.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
james.sponge said:
I think they should start making up stories about oil and coal deposits on Mars, if they do we will have a manned mission in less than five years.
Or just say Bin Laden and Hitler were resurrected there, and Jesus is currently at war with them.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Anyone else chuckle when you read Imperial College? No one? Am I really the only guy to get why that is funny?

I'd sign up for a one way trip, provided they get an internet satellite into orbit first. You'd get Space Madness before noon with nothing to do on that barren rock but terraform it.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Professor Tom Pike said:
They are not fundamentally about making new discoveries.
Well if you wanna get any funding they damn well better be.
On the contrary, funding for new technologies & processes is notoriously difficult to acquire. However there are a number of private companies which already generate their own funding for space travel which I'm sure will be very interested in ICL's findings.
1337mokro said:
Anyone else chuckle when you read Imperial College? No one? Am I really the only guy to get why that is funny?
Apparently so, care to explain? It's one of the most prestigious science universities in the world.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm... Thats nice.

Its 2013, we survived the lamest possible apocalypse, We can consider going to mars... But where are my flying cars and cylon sex bots?!?!

Worst Future EVAR!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Whilst I have no idea where they'll pull the funding from, I'm really quite excited about this concept.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
catalyst8 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Professor Tom Pike said:
They are not fundamentally about making new discoveries.
Well if you wanna get any funding they damn well better be.
On the contrary, funding for new technologies & processes is notoriously difficult to acquire. However there are a number of private companies which already generate their own funding for space travel which I'm sure will be very interested in ICL's findings.
1337mokro said:
Apparently so, care to explain? It's one of the most prestigious science universities in the world.
I can't believe I have to spell it out.

I guess I really am the only one who thought Imperial College planning on colonizing another planet was funny.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
These are all old ideas that have been around for years. Rotating ships were in Babylon 5 back in the 90's for crying out loud (Babylon 5 station, Omega Class Destroyer etc), even NASA has had ideas of sending a mission to mars in 2 stages, a return vehicle sent as an ROV, and the crew in a 2nd vehicle to get there in the first place (sounds redundant to me, since the first one has to land and take off anyway why not just use the one?). And the wait till they get to their closest for a 9 month journey, well that's a given that once again is old. So new information/ideas sofar look at 0% with probably that chance of anyone doing anything :-(

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
james.sponge said:
And then we get to have this become a reality:

Guess i better start getting some basic fire-arms training done then.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
viranimus said:
Hrm... Thats nice.

Its 2013, we survived the lamest possible apocalypse, We can consider going to mars... But where are my flying cars and cylon sex bots?!?!

Worst Future EVAR!
Flying cars and sex bots? Really? That's all you want from the future? That's boring crap. I want to see stuff like Star Trek style replicators where I can design anything and then build it essentially for free, just like compiling software today. Granted, 3D printers are a step in that direction, so there is hope on that front.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
9 months journey? isnt at the closest point its 6 months to mars? i guess they may be using different craft than regular space shuttle then.

Why do you want to send men there. robots can do same job but better. now get back to making my cylon sexbot.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
RicoADF said:
These are all old ideas that have been around for years. Rotating ships were in Babylon 5 back in the 90's for crying out loud (Babylon 5 station, Omega Class Destroyer etc), even NASA has had ideas of sending a mission to mars in 2 stages, a return vehicle sent as an ROV, and the crew in a 2nd vehicle to get there in the first place (sounds redundant to me, since the first one has to land and take off anyway why not just use the one?). And the wait till they get to their closest for a 9 month journey, well that's a given that once again is old. So new information/ideas sofar look at 0% with probably that chance of anyone doing anything :-(
Bablyon 5 and the Omega had rotating sections, the idea here is make the entire craft tumble through space.

Besides plans like this keep space exploration in the public eye, which is always a good thing.

Mike the Bard

Jan 25, 2010
RicoADF said:
They said they were just laying down the building blocks for a mars mission not assembling the final plan, and you have to start somewhere so why not start with what you know works?