History and Legend in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
History and Legend in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Straddling the line between reality and legend builds an interesting game with a surprising fidelity to American history.

Read Full Article

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Having played through CoJ: Gunslinger, I'm a bit disappointed it's as poorly known as it is. It's a fantastic title, especially at such a low price, and it deserves a lot more attention than it's getting.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Completely agree with this. Brilliant game. Many more people need to know about this game. Silas Greaves is definitely one of my favorite characters to come out of this generation of games.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Maybe you could send an e-mail to Techland with all the little historical niggles and typos you've spotted and they could correct them in a patch? It' great that they're trying to redeem themselves after The Cartel.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Falterfire said:
Having played through CoJ: Gunslinger, I'm a bit disappointed it's as poorly known as it is. It's a fantastic title, especially at such a low price, and it deserves a lot more attention than it's getting.
I wish more games were like this: shorter in length and at a lower price. Concentrated, varied gameplay and story that doesn't outstay its welcome.

I'm just too busy to mess around with this padding nonsense which makes up most of every big "open world" game. I love an open world game in concept, but in practice, it tends to mean bear ass collecting, stretched thin stories and cut and paste dungeons. And an inflated price for all that of course.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'll have to check this game out. I didn't even know it was a thing and it sounds directly up my alley. Thanks for the article.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
It's about freakin' time someone started talking about this game. It's too good to remain as obscure as it is.

Lennie Briscoe

Jan 18, 2011
Few things can match the feeling of spending $10-$15 on a smaller game like this, and then loving the crap out of it.

Finding this gem amidst the mostly lackluster XLBA releases this year was a real treat. This column perfectly sums up why I think I like it so much.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
I miss that games abandoned historical settings. Even titles like Red Dead Redemption and Mafia 2 are more about the
"feel" of the era rather than historical accuracy. Gunslinger kinda managed to do both, which is impressive for a B game.

SeatedSkeleton

Sep 8, 2011
Great game. i always thought the wild west was rich pickings for shooters but have been consistently been disappointed for a number of reasons. COJ had no bullshit, it was short, fun as hell, and interesting to boot. For that reason, i'll probably play it many times, which is more than i can say for many other shooters.

Great article btw. i appreciated that you took the game seriously and gave it the praise it deserves, while pointing out that it could be even more interesting. i have to agree that the pace of the game didn't lend itself to going to find the collectables. i would often get to the end of a level and be a bit disappointed that i only picked up the obvious stuff cause i had been guns blazing for the last 20 mins. not that it really detracted from the game, just that i liked reading the info.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I've played through Gunslinger 5 times. It's so much fun. A lot of replay value. Too bad it doesn't have a multiplayer mode.

And I know that wild west tales are just that, tales. Full of shit, over the top lies. But I absolutely love them. I'm a big western fan. My favorite books from childhood are Karl May's adventure novels about the Old West.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
SO, not as bad as COJ: The Cartel? I remember you saying that you helped write the Extra Credits episode on it.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
Good article and a great game. I wish more people had played it. In all honesty its probably the most out and out fun game I've played all year.