Battlefield 4 Stat Transfer May Be Possible, DICE Says

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/360536453958209536]​
Battlefield 4 players may be allowed to transfer their stats and progression from the current-gen version of the game to next-gen.

As a die-hard Battlefield fan, you're obviously going to purchase Battlefield 4 when it launches on October 29, and you're going to play it like a maniac, because that's what die-hards do. But not too terribly long after that, the next generation of consoles comes out, and of course you're going to buy one of those too. That, naturally, means an even bigger, badder Battlefield experience will beckon - the next-gen edition! But what about all that time and effort you put into your current copy? Is it lost forever?

Maybe not. While Battlefield 3 stats are non-transferable, DICE hinted on Twitter recently that it's looking into the possibility of making Battlefield 4 more flexible. "We've heard reports that players would like their stats and progression to transfer from current to next-gen in #BF4. We're investigating," the studio tweeted.

"Investigating" is a long way from "doing" but the fact that DICE brought it up publicly at all speaks volumes, and as CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/421211/battlefield-4-dice-investigating-current-to-next-gen-stat-transferal/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS] pointed out, EA confirmed just prior to the DICE tweet that FIFA 14 Ultimate Team rosters, in-game items and currency will all be transferable between current and next-gen systems. And if FIFA can do it, why not Battlefield?

Battlefield 4 comes out for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on October 29, while Xbox One and PlayStation 4 editions will launch alongside their respective consoles.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/360536453958209536]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Serious question now, why would this be difficult?

Your Battlelog account is tied to an email, it's also backed up to Battlelog's servers, you can access your account across multiple pieces of hardware, 'transferring' your stats should be no harder than logging in from a PS4, it's going to look up your stats in the process anyway, where's the thing to be investigated?

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Yeah, this shouldn't really be too hard. Just log in with your EA account and that's it.
At least that's how I'd expect it to work, coming from being a PC gamer. (I obviously won't have to deal with any of that, since the PC version won't be succeeded by another version just a few months later)

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
They wouldn't even need to transfer stats from 1 database to the other, they could simply use the same database for both games.

Hell, in some ways it'd be easier than separating the stats.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Odd thumbnail to use for the article on the news page feed, btw. Think it may have been mixed up with The Bureau news article.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
As a die-hard Battlefield fan I'll be waiting for a few months until all the major/game-breaking bugs and issues are conclusively eliminated.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
PuckFuppet said:
As a die-hard Battlefield fan I'll be waiting for a few months until all the major/game-breaking bugs and issues are conclusively eliminated.
As another decade plus BF fan, you'll be waiting longer than that!

We fixed the old bugs, here are some new ones in case you guys get sloppy!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Calling it now, if they do it, it's gonna be exclusive to Premium members.

Incidentally, why would you want this in the first place? The games are different, so kill scores and such could vary quite a bit and wiping the slate and starting over with progression gives you the awesome feeling of leveling up and opening more options for yourself on guns and such. I loved Battlefield 3 even more when I was playing thinking "oh man, can't wait to get that <weapon/vehicle upgrade>".

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Vrach said:
Incidentally, why would you want this in the first place?
Perhaps the article didn't specify but they're talking about BF4 -> BF4 statistic transfers, not BF3 -> BF4. This is seen as an issue because of lack of backwards compatibility/control over accounts/keys etc. on consoles.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
PuckFuppet said:
Vrach said:
Incidentally, why would you want this in the first place?
Perhaps the article didn't specify but they're talking about BF4 -> BF4 statistic transfers, not BF3 -> BF4. This is seen as an issue because of lack of backwards compatibility/control over accounts/keys etc. on consoles.
Aah, it did actually. I just saw a more confusing Tweet on Battlefield's feed so I kinda skimmed over the article thinking I knew what it was about. Yeah, that makes perfect sense actually.

Scott Zimmerhakl

Jul 29, 2013
As someone who has already pre-ordered the BF4/PS4 bundle for launch, I believe everyone should start anew. Fresh consoles....fresh start! I don't think I should be at a disadvantage out of the gates on multiplayer simply because I don't want to fork out $120+ on the same game(PS3/PS4 versions)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
as a complete stats freak (i havent met a game that has enough stats. i want to know stats about everything, distance walked, steps taken, shots fired, npcs harrased, hairs lost due to matrix style bullet evasion, EVERYTHING) i would love this.