Sony Slams Wii, 360 For Offering Less Value Than PS3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Despite the beating it's been taking from both the press and the buying public, Sony is refusing to change its Wii [http://www.playstation.com] can compete with it on equal terms.

As the most expensive of the three major gaming consoles on the market, the PlayStation 3 has lagged behind the Xbox 360 in worldwide sales and been absolutely demolished by the Wii. Strategic price cuts have proven successful in the past - Microsoft saw a major jump [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86719-Microsoft-Makes-Inroads-In-Japan] in Japanese sales of the Xbox 360 after it lowered the price in September 2008 - yet Sony has remained adamant in its refusal to make significant reductions of its own in order to boost sales. And in response to a recent Microsoft statement that its sales lead over the PlayStation 3 is growing, Sony has countered with a claim that its console offers more dollar-for-dollar value than either the 360 or the Wii.

"The Xbox 360 requires additional money, multiple upgrades and additional external devices, putting a burden on the wallet and adds clutter to the entertainment centre," Sony said. "The PS3 is the perfect example of a product featuring superior technology and a sophisticated design creating an ideal all-in-one entertainment product."

And despite the fact that Sony doesn't consider the Wii a competing product [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84998-Sony-CEO-Dismisses-Wii-as-Niche-Product] at all, it doesn't escape the company's attention. "The Wii's lack of enhanced features comes at the expense of a comprehensive entertainment solution," the statement continued. "So as PS3 continues to evolve without the need for additional parts or expenses, expect the competition to continue peddling add-ons in an effort to keep up with the Jones'."

Sony claimed that upgrading the Xbox 360 Arcade, the entry-level Xbox console, to the level of the PlayStation 3 would cost between $449 and $499, and added that many of the PS3 features simply cannot be had on the Wii. "The Xbox 360 and Wii offer a set of features in their own right. However, when you take a look at the feature offerings side by side, there is only one true winner in delivering total value and price," the press release said.

Sony may very well have a point, and kudos to them for sticking to their guns, but it doesn't appear to have much relevance to the average consumer, who continues to insist on buying lower-priced consoles that provide immediately-accessible fun rather than high-end, comprehensive entertainment systems. It may not be fair or even reasonable but it's also no secret, and Sony's insistence on beating the same drum is looking more and more like a losing strategy.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ony-questions-value-of-rival-consoles]

Nakawa

Jan 3, 2009
This just strikes me odd that a company this big is resorting to a childhood mentality of "If I can't see it, it can't hurt me". But then again, I'm not a business major so I might just be missing some huge point there

gdnvs

Dec 28, 2008
lame...
The table isn't fair, it only contains things that
the ps3 features it doesn't show the services that
that microsoft or Nintendo provide for their consoles.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
What Sony is missing is that not everyone wants everything they've packed into the PS3. Blu-Ray doesn't interest me, and I use Ethernet for my networking. The a la carte model that MS adopted may cost more if you get everything, but not everyone wants everything.

Also, they're completely missing why the Wii is so successful without all the mega-shiny bits. You won't convert the Wii's target audience over to the PS3 by pointing to your uber-1337 under-the-hood gadgetry; Nintendo's grabbing people by the peripherals and the "fun" factor.

Damn, it's a shame to see Sony fumbling the market pitch like that. I like having a three-console gaming universe.

-- Steve

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
They are missing three very important points.
i)$399>$199
ii)$399>$299
iii)Most people see only this.

As far as I can see Sony's only hope this generation is to drop the PS3's price, bite the losses which they are making anyway and hope the PS3's long intended lifespan gives it a stronger following.

Rambling about added value is no use to anyone.

jupiterman

Jan 8, 2009
You know who else made a chart and statements just like this? SNK. For their Neo Geo system comparing it to 'inferior' 16-bit systems. Not long before it tanked.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Xbox 360 Arcade: $199
20 GB HDD upgrade w/ 3 months free Xbox Live: $29 <---Don't forget that you also get a month free of Live just for signing up
VGA Cable (higher HD output than Xbox's HDMI): $39
WiFi: $99

Total: $366

Leaves you w/ about $30 extra (compared to their "minimal" price for the PS3) for another game in addition to the 5 XBLA games and Sega Superstar Tennis (which come w/ Xbox 360 Arcade). Just wanted to point that out.

Also, the 360 Pro comes w/ a 60 GB HDD and HD cables out of the box plus 2 games. I'm not saying that the PS3 isn't attractive in its own right, I'm just saying that this comparison wasn't extremely fair. But I wouldn't expect Microsoft or Nintendo to be fair either.
On top of that, not as many people care about HD movies as the industry thought they would right now, so Sony touting that isn't exactly the ammo they need.

EDIT: When it comes right down to it, the PS3 is media hub. Great for videos, internet, audio and HD in general, but gaming is just part of it. It's not a real emphasis, it's just a component in their formula. Xbox 360 is a media extender w/ a focus on gaming and the Wii is clearly just plain fun (if a bit repetitive after awhile).

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
Well... Microsoft (not so much Nintendo) makes all those things optional instead of mandatory...I don't have a fancy flat screen with HDMI inputs, nor do I have a wireless modem i can use here at school, and I'm sure several people are in the same situation...so why should I pay for them when i won't need them in the foreseen future? Sure, the PS3 doesn't make you use them but they are there and part of the cost, and sure the end cost will be more i end up needing them, but not upfront, which is actually financially more feasible for most people...

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Malygris said:

I consider this advertising. M$ throws it's weight around in the press constantly. Personally, I'm glad Sony are finally stepping to the plate. People should know the details.

I don't understand why they're bringing the Wii into it. Maybe just to show they're not picking on Microsoft (who of course they're targeting).

jupiterman said:
You know who else made a chart and statements just like this? SNK. For their Neo Geo system comparing it to 'inferior' 16-bit systems. Not long before it tanked.
There is no comparision between the NEO GEO and the PS3.

I have never met or spoken to anyone who owns a NeoGeo (you, maybe my first?) but I know loads of people with a PS3.

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
How is the Wii not in competition with the PS3? If the Wii wasn't around, Ps3 sales would likely be higher.

They just need a better approach than flaming the competition. Like offering it half-price for just a month.

Neko Niisan

Nov 28, 2008
I fail to see how any machine that costs c£300/$400 and is essentially designed for the purpose of creating pretty pictures and entertaining beeps and boops in order to keep its user distracted can be considered value, regardless of what it comes with... unless it like magically dispensed beer or something...
>_>
_<
Nah. They'd keep that model for subscription payers...

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
I've been watching this epic battle for so long now, and sony continue to earn my contempt. Its getting to the point where its not even funny anymore, its just sad.

Dear Sony,
Change your playstation ways, or lay down and die.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
KiiWii said:
I've been watching this epic battle for so long now, and sony continue to earn my contempt. Its getting to the point where its not even funny anymore, its just sad.

Dear Sony,
Change your playstation ways, or lay down and die.
I feel the same way.