Wolfenstein: The New Order Preview - Battling Fascist Robots

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Wolfenstein: The New Order Preview - Battling Fascist Robots

Wolfenstein: The New Order wants you to experience the terrifying ?realities of a global Nazi empire.?

Read Full Article

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sounds interesting, using a hybrid/segmented regenerating health system is certainly plus. It even looks suitably campy to be a good match to Return to Castle Wolfentein from all those years ago.

Festus Moonbear

Feb 20, 2013
So Far Cry 2's health system, then? Yay! I approve. But I hope they get the balance between over-the-top and 'serious' right, as the gameplay footage released so far seems a bit heavy on the 'serious' side, which makes duel-wielding assault rifles look a bit out of place. God, I hope they get this right.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Encaen said:
"go back and capture the experience of when [Wolfenstein 3D] was released 20 years ago." The New Order is being designed as an action-adventure experience, with a focus on exploration.
I don't get it. Those two sentences are almost the exact opposite of each other. Is it going to be a Wolf3D-style FPS, or is it going to be some sort of modern exploration based adventure game? I mean the rest of the preview sounds great, but this part makes me think they don't have any idea what sort of game they're actually trying to make.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Kahani said:
Encaen said:
"go back and capture the experience of when [Wolfenstein 3D] was released 20 years ago." The New Order is being designed as an action-adventure experience, with a focus on exploration.
I don't get it. Those two sentences are almost the exact opposite of each other. Is it going to be a Wolf3D-style FPS, or is it going to be some sort of modern exploration based adventure game? I mean the rest of the preview sounds great, but this part makes me think they don't have any idea what sort of game they're actually trying to make.
They are probably confusing Wolfenstein 3D with RTCW, that one did have exploration (kind of) and adventure while the original was mostly a corridor shooter.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Kahani said:
Encaen said:
I can't speak for Andreas here, but I understood him to mean not necessarily the gameplay experience, so much as the experience of the game coming out. We both grew up on Wolf3D, and the excitement we both felt at getting our hands on it for the first time, I believe, is what they're hoping to capture.

Rest assured, everything I've seen of The New Order so far has been stellar. They tell a fine tale, implement brutal (albeit fair) encounters, and BJ's inner monologue does an impressive job of informing the player of some of the motivations behind our favorite fascist-killing machine.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
I'm going to wait for the actual game to come out before I let myself get any more excited about this. There've been too many games lately that have promised one thing in trailers and previews, but then didn't deliver in the full product.