Namco Bandai's Ace Combat Infinity Goes Free To Play

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Namco Bandai's Ace Combat Infinity Goes Free To Play

September 25th is the projected launch date.

The eighteenth title in the Ace Combat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9191-Ace-Combat-Assault-Horizon-Review] series, Infinity, will be free to play at launch, Namco Bandai has confirmed. This PS3 exclusive title will be available from September 25th, and features co-op multiplayer, with everyone ganging up on a common foe. See you, Stonehenge? You want some? Come over here and say that ...

"Set in a precise near future world and including beloved elements like super weapons and hyper-real visuals, the game will offer a brand new story campaign," says Namco Bandai. Ace Combat: Infinity is a download-only title, and gameplay ought to be familiar to veterans of the series. In addition to Stonehenge's railguns, elements from Fires of Liberation - the Aigaion Air Fleet and CFA-44 Nosferatu - will also be making a reappearance. This is the first time an Ace Combat game has gone free to play, but it's not yet clear what money-making elements Namco Bandai intends to sneak in. As for plot, some rocks clonked Earth about twenty years ago. There you have it.

There is a Facebook page over here [https://www.facebook.com/AceCombat].

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/02/ace-combat-infinity-is-free-to-play-first-full-length-trailer/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
This is just speculation, but they could be remaking the campaigns of the PS2 Ace Combat games, 6, and possibly X for co-op play, then adding a competitive mode.

At least thats what i hope.

Now what i want to know is how much this game is going to take after Assault Horizon. I didnt like Assault Horizon.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
gigastar said:
This is just speculation, but they could be remaking the campaigns of the PS2 Ace Combat games, 6, and possibly X for co-op play, then adding a competitive mode.

At least thats what i hope.

Now what i want to know is how much this game is going to take after Assault Horizon. I didnt like Assault Horizon.
I keep wondering what the heck F2P means in this kind of game. Does that mean it's JUST multiplayer? Because I'm not a big fan of that, but I can see playing a campaign with all your co-pilots as other players being really awesome. Brings back memories of playing Starlancer online.

I'm guessing this means you buy the game and the online component is free, but then why didn't they just say 'no online pass'? I need more information on this game before I get too excited, though the setting and the idea of merging StrangeReal plot with Assault Horizon controls has me REALLY interested. Just keep me in a jet; the Apache and Spooky missions were different but not fun, and it's not why I play an Ace Combat game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Quiotu said:
I'm guessing this means you buy the game and the online component is free, but then why didn't they just say 'no online pass'? I need more information on this game before I get too excited, though the setting and the idea of merging StrangeReal plot with Assault Horizon controls has me REALLY interested. Just keep me in a jet; the Apache and Spooky missions were different but not fun, and it's not why I play an Ace Combat game.
They boast a new story AND co-op. Additionally, from all indications this is actually free to play. You will be able to download the title and play for free, which is why they're not saying "no online pass."

Really, this is all covered by the article itself or the source, so if you're that interested, why not look at the available info?

Questions are still present, such as "how will they monetise this?" and "how will the game play?" and "What is your favourite colour?" but you're guessing about things already answered.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I'll be getting it for sure, just to see what it's like. Ace Combat is one of those series that never really disappoint me. Assault Horizon was... different, but it was bad. The music was killer as always, even it wasn't strangereal.

So, Co-op against Stonehenge... that sounds fun, but only if they make it challenging. 1 player could decimate the entire mission in less than 5 minutes in AC4, so having multiple players all going after it sounds easy. The fun factor will depend on if they spice it up a bit, like having half the canons be destroyed then AWACS telling the players that Yellow squadron entered the map.

As for the micro transactions, that's easy. Purchase an SU-37 on the cash shop! Purchase the yellow squadron color scheme!

They could also have more missions or weapons for sale as well. QUAM or other missile types could be cash shop items.

I personally want huge battles at sea with multiple aircraft carriers and battleships, that would be fun.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Quiotu said:
They boast a new story AND co-op. Additionally, from all indications this is actually free to play. You will be able to download the title and play for free, which is why they're not saying "no online pass."

Really, this is all covered by the article itself or the source, so if you're that interested, why not look at the available info?

Questions are still present, such as "how will they monetise this?" and "how will the game play?" and "What is your favourite colour?" but you're guessing about things already answered.
I suppose that's the only way to explain the announcement, yeah. But the game itself as well as co-op being F2P honestly scares me. They've always thrown skins out there for people to buy, so that's sure to be in, but I'm hoping this isn't them seizing an opportunity to monetize everything. If they hide most of the planes or loadouts or missions behind a paywall I'll be pissed.

Namco-Bandai is the biggest offender of rampant DLC even ahead of Squeenix. Tales of Xillia has over $214 of DLC when converted to US dollars, their latest Idolm@ster game has almost $900! I REALLY don't like their DLC practices, and this game could be the kiss of death for Ace Combat even more than Assault Horizon if they smother the game in pay-to-win bullshit.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Quiotu said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Quiotu said:

I suppose that's the only way to explain the announcement, yeah. But the game itself as well as co-op being F2P honestly scares me. They've always thrown skins out there for people to buy, so that's sure to be in, but I'm hoping this isn't them seizing an opportunity to monetize everything. If they hide most of the planes or loadouts or missions behind a paywall I'll be pissed.

Namco-Bandai is the biggest offender of rampant DLC even ahead of Squeenix. Tales of Xillia has over $214 of DLC when converted to US dollars, their latest Idolm@ster game has almost $900! I REALLY don't like their DLC practices, and this game could be the kiss of death for Ace Combat even more than Assault Horizon if they smother the game in pay-to-win bullshit.
Im going to assume that cosmetic DLC will be where they intend to make the money. If they intend to support it as some kind of MMO then it could be subject to expansion packs, and a port to the PS4.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
This really makes me miss Ace Combat Zero, from back in the PS2. The campaign for Assault Horizon was a real let down for me.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
For the love of Bernoulli's principle bring this to PC please. Air combat games are so much better with flight sticks

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
gigastar said:
Im going to assume that cosmetic DLC will be where they intend to make the money. If they intend to support it as some kind of MMO then it could be subject to expansion packs, and a port to the PS4.
I think that is likely. I think they listened to a lot of the feedback after assault horizon about getting back to strangereal and making the games like the old PS2 style of zero and 5. That is why we seem Aigiaon and Stonehenge making a return.

I think they might add on different missions or "scenarios" like attacking Stonehenge. Hresvlegr, Gleipnir, Chandelier, Megalith, Scinfaxi, Arkbird, all boss battles that could be added on later. One I'm really hoping for is where you and a few other players just fight to survive against waves of enemies, horde mode style. Every few waves one the ace squadrons from previous games shows up and you fight them. Stuff like that.

Cosmetic choices are one of things that the AC series has relied on for unlockable content across all its games. It's really only for the player choosing it an enjoying it themselves though. In combat its extremely difficult to see another plane's color scheme when they are 2-18 miles away zipping around the airspace.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I didn?t really like the first teaser. Back then I had the impression it would go the route of Assault Horizon (real world map) which I didn?t like.

This second teaser however looks surprisingly promising.
The sound track makes it pretty epic. Being called rookie implies that you start at the bottom and work your way up that?s always a gripping ?character progression? concept. The radio chatter sounds more like the chatter from the ?older? ACs (4, 5, Zero, 6) so less real and more movie like. Prototypes are back (Nosferatu and Shinden II) and so are epic unrealistic ?boss? battles (Stonehenge, Aigaion).
Yea these are certainly the elements I dig about Ace Combat.

Don?t really know what to make of it though thanks to the ?F2P? concept.
All I want is a really cool SP campaign and I?m happy.
If that?s in then fuck yea.
Though I stay very weary of the micro transactions. The DLC for AC6 were ridiculously expensive and rather disappointing (did not purchase a single one of them). So I have my doubts that Bandai Namco will offer fair deals here? (e.g. check out ?DLC? for other Bandai Namco games?)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Quiotu said:

It does concern me. However, as long as the base game is free, I'll try it. The worst that can happen is I don't get to complete it because it actually is pay to win and I delete it. And maybe I'll have fun.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ishal said:
gigastar said:
I think that is likely. I think they listened to a lot of the feedback after assault horizon about getting back to strangereal and making the games like the old PS2 style of zero and 5. That is why we seem Aigiaon and Stonehenge making a return.

I think they might add on different missions or "scenarios" like attacking Stonehenge. Hresvlegr, Gleipnir, Chandelier, Megalith, Scinfaxi, Arkbird, all boss battles that could be added on later. One I'm really hoping for is where you and a few other players just fight to survive against waves of enemies, horde mode style. Every few waves one the ace squadrons from previous games shows up and you fight them. Stuff like that.
Still i would enjoy an option to play through a full campaign. "The Four Wings of Sand Island" would be that much better if you had 3 real people playing as your allies.

Also I would love a horde mode in my Ace Combat.

At any rate, i shall certainly check it out when it comes out, and as of now this game riding very high on my radar.

Ishal said:
Cosmetic choices are one of things that the AC series has relied on for unlockable content across all its games. It's really only for the player choosing it an enjoying it themselves though. In combat its extremely difficult to see another plane's color scheme when they are 2-18 miles away zipping around the airspace.
Yeah, when you pick your planes colour, you pick the one you like, not the one you think othe people will like. This has been true since it was a proper option on Zero.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Although I hope this comes out for PC, this may be the game that finally motivates me to get a PS3.

Also, the Aigaion Air Fleet. That was the best mission in AC6 IMO. Especially because you could fly through the Aigaion hangar if you were skilled enough, and I believe you actually had to in harder difficulties.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Oh how I pray and wish for this to somehow make its way to PC... My love for the old Ace Combat games from 4 to Zero is something I've always kept, and this seems to be going back to its roots. I miss those old classics..

clonezero

Jan 20, 2010
Nosferatus and Falkens spamming their special weapons everywhere! Wonder how fast missions are gonna be if that did happen.

But then again we can finally see what would happen if squad of A-10s fuel air bombed EVERYTHING!