Gone Home Launches Later This Month

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gone Home Launches Later This Month

Gone Home, the "story exploration game" from The Fullbright Company, is just a couple of weeks away.

Remember Gone Home? It was unveiled said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117155-BioShock-Veterans-Unveil-Gone-Home] the house "is built logically like a house in the real world," and promised that while there will be puzzles to solve, there won't be any typical adventure game "wackiness."

[gallery=1665]

And today, more than a year after it first came to light, The Fullbright Company announced a launch date - and it's less than two weeks away. Gone Home will be available on August 15 on Steam and DRM-free directly from the publisher for $19.99. No preorders are being taken and there won't be a demo, but you can check out a few new screens - "artifacts" left behind that "start pointing toward the story of a house, and the fate of the Greenbriar family" - and of course the wonderfully 90s-flavored trailer playing above. (The game is set in 1995 - hence "tapes.")

Intriguing, no? More information about Gone Home (but not a whole lot more - it is a mystery, after all) can be had at gonehomegame.com [http://www.gonehomegame.com/].

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Kalezian said:
totally fake, everyone knows there were dinosaurs back in 1995.

I myself rode several on my 500 mile route to school, BOTH WAYS!

Always good to have some point and click adventures come out that aren't some horrible "horror" game.
You lucky bastard. I had a 1000 mile route to school, and I had to CARRY my dinosaur since it always got a foot cramp.

OT: Never heard about this game, but now I'm really interested. Will probably buy as soon as it's out, maybe wait for a few reviews.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
YAY Video gaming now has its own Green State! Zoey Deschanel that shit up!\
Seriously though there is no way this game would work in 2013 because today no 20 something would spend anytime trying to solve the mystery of where their family went. They'd loaf around the house and wait till one of them updated their Facebook or posted on twitter and if that never happened we'd just assume they're dead.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Kalezian said:

Always good to have some point and click adventures come out that aren't some horrible "horror" game.
Funny that you mentioned. I have looked at this game and thought "You know what this game needs? Horror!"

But yeah, variety is probably nice, although I'm on the fence about this game.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm expecting this to be shooting for a more insidious kind of horror - if it's a horror game at all. The "puzzle" seems to be whatever's at the heart of the topical web that the objects in the house put together, and you have to piece it all together via old-fashioned investigation. If there's anything terrifying about this, it's probably tucked away in whatever horrible realization we're expected to make.

Or maybe the game's fishing for a non-standard angle on things; at which point we'd learn that they're just off to the grocery store and will be back in a couple hours.

I dunno. In any case, it'll be fun to see.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Trucken said:
Kalezian said:

You lucky bastard. I had a 1000 mile route to school, and I had to CARRY my dinosaur since it always got a foot cramp.

OT: Never heard about this game, but now I'm really interested. Will probably buy as soon as it's out, maybe wait for a few reviews.
I still remember me and my friends used to race our pet raptors, that was some good times...well, aside from the fact mine liked nawing on my left arm but hey he was a pretty cool raptor aside from that.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
rhizhim said:
so we get to find out that you are an attractive lesbian who didnt go on vacation with your family so you might possibly hang out with that particular attractive possibly lesbian friend and do lesbian stuff and sexual exploration.

and maybe have a pillow fight.
This would be the greatest thing ever. Make sure to remember the mud!