Reseachers Call For Less Addictive MMOs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Reseachers Call For Less Addictive MMOs

Researchers say that if MMO makers don't do something to curb the addictiveness of their games, Western governments may be forced to impose limits upon them similar to those in place in Asia.

We all know that conventional videogames have a definite beginning and end, while MMOs can effectively go on forever. It's this "inexhaustible" nature that researchers from universities in Cardiff, Derby and Nottingham Trent in the U.K. say makes them particularly problematic for the estimated seven to 11 percent of "pathological" gamers, some of whom play as many as 90 hours in a single session.

Some games carry messages warning against overuse, which Dr. Shumalia Yousafzai of the Cardiff Business School said indicates that MMO makers are aware of the addictive nature of their games (and thus at least indirectly complicit in process of addicting gamers), but "cyber psychologist" Dr. Zaheer Hussain said those warning messages are inadequate protection for players who are prone to becoming hooked.

"As a first step online game developers and publishers need to look into the structural features of the game design, for example the character development, rapid absorption rate, and multi-player features which could make them addictive and or problematic for some gamers," he said. "One idea could be to shorten long quests to minimize the time spent in the game obtaining a certain prized item."

Nottingham Trent University Professor Mark Griffiths said that while the proportion of gamers who develop problems will likely remain constant, "As online games get better and better and increasing numbers of people discover them, the number of addicts is most probably going to rise."

The study warned that if MMO makers don't do something to address the issue, governments may be forced to legislate usage limits.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-23576035]

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
You kidding me? The current MMO industry has been a race to the bottom to see who could make the most generic and boring MMO out there. They all go down a check list these days to make sure they meet the required number of required WoW factor. There hasn't been a fantasy MMO out there that I've enjoyed in the last 3 years, RIFT and TERA came close but they still missed the mark by a mile.

Definitely not the digital crack it is made out to be.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
But isn't the whole point of running MMOs to make the legal equivalent of crack money? Why would they address such a thing without legislation?

Captcha: break a dollar.

Funny.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Wow, you can replace a lot of the references to games with dancing to rock 'n' roll or television and it's like a psychology time machine.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
"Because your games are so addictive, we have helpfully suggested ways to help the game devs make the game worse/less fun."

While this guy may be blowing some hot air, he does give a fair warning.
Andy Chalk said:
The study warned that if MMO makers don't do something to address the issue, governments may be forced to legislate usage limits.
Everyone knows how concerned the parenting/out-of-touch politicians are. This will undoubtedly come up in congress in the coming years. I'm not saying it will pass, but it will without a doubt be raised as a concern. I do acknowledge that addiction is a serious problem for people (as can be with any substance/hobby) the best concern to raise is that legislation for the few should not impede the masses, which it undoubtedly would (as well as hurt the market).

Captcha: sippy cup
Good job researchers, now put on your big boy diapers and join the real world.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
The current entertainment culture would oppose any such attempt to legislate against MMO games in the USA. I'm not sure about elsewhere, though.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
...And while you are at it make sure people can only buy 1 beer and 1 pack of cigarettes each day. Because, holy damn, 2 beer will destroy your entire life style.

Seriously, if people can't handle alcohol MMO's they shouldn't drink play as much or at all.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The very thing that prevents me from getting into MMO's is the amount of time they require. They are only for people who want to put their life into them. I think it's stupid that people devote so much time to these games, but I also don't feel that legislation against them is a good idea. If people are ruining their lives over an MMO, it's not the developer or publishers fault or responsibility. No one take responsibility for themselves, it's pathetic. If I lost my job because I HAD to do one more WoW raid, it's not the games fault or my friends fault, it's my fault. All legislation does is relieve people who do that kind of thing, of any kind of responsibility for their actions.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Colt47 said:
The current entertainment culture would oppose any such attempt to legislate against MMO games in the USA. I'm not sure about elsewhere, though.
Exactly this. Such a thing could end up hurting profits, and if there is one thing American companies won't abide, its legislation that hurts the bottom line.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
Shifty ground to tread, but I can see were they are coming from. Think we have all been there where we have spent far too much time in an mmo, but for some people they take it to a level where far more time turns into 'all' of their time. That hurts them and their family.

but would those changes make any difference to that condition is something I would like answered. do we understand enough on what effects people in this way. is it simply that they are not aware of? I mean we all know cigarettes cause addiction and there is now a warning label stating such, but cigarettes still have additives in them and people still smoke anyways.

Games should be less evil and more about playing because we are having fun rather then tricking us so we keep spending money but good attentions sometimes do more harm then good. Hate to think how a government law could be stretched to impact how games are made in a bad way.

Techno Destructo

Jul 18, 2010
Telling an MMO makers to make their games less addicting is like telling tobacco companies to make their cigarettes less addicting. Perhaps we can regulate how many puffs the smoker takes; maybe make the cigarette shorter so they'll smoke less; we need to rethink the design of the cigarette so it can cause less cancer to the 100% of people that become addicted to our product.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
I have, at the very least, one big problem with the researcher's claim
Even if (big if) the government did find and implement (even bigger if) a way to successfully render MMO's less 'addictive', I honestly feel the net result would be utterly trivial. Continuing on the should-be-obvious 'game's are not evil' train, people don't get addicted to MMO's, or anything else, in the first place just because of the game itself. It's certainly an expertly-designed skinner box once you're already inside it, but this suggestion by the researcher seems totally divorced from the underlying cause that initiates addiction: The game is giving these people something crucial that they are not receiving through normal daily function. All that happens, even if MMO's were outright banned, is these bunches of people who desperately need psychiatric attention move on to another form of self-medication. This is why I get worked up whenever people talk about any kind of addiction as if its somehow different from other forms of addiction.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I am quite confused. What are "Re-seachers"? I'm looking up on a dictionary for it, but I cannot find anything really conclusive.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
It's okay
This researched stemmed from Derby and Nottingham Trent 'Universities'
Basically two of the shittest Uni's in the UK
It basically means nothing

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
As a rule of thumb I tend not to trust anyone who adds the word "Cyber" as a prefix to their job title.

That said, I think the only real problem is if the game designers are specifically setting out to make an "addictive" product. If they are putting their player integration rate above actually making the game fun. If that were the case then I'd agree that the games designers may need to be reigned in.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
He makes a fair point, and makes some good suggestions on how to fix them.

Unfortunately, those suggestions come down to "remove the padding wrapped in skinner-box techniques" which is never going to happen ever as MMO makers would actually have to spend time and $$$ designing new content.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Fuck off. That's really all I have to say to them.

llamastorm.games said:
It's okay
This researched stemmed from Derby and Nottingham Trent 'Universities'
Basically two of the shittest Uni's in the UK
It basically means nothing
So basically they're just trying to drum up controversy to get some ink and hopefully a little more cash with that?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Or prehaps we should stop humoring all the weak-willed brats who are stupid enough to get addicted in the first place.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
This is like banning the construction of tall buildings because suicidal people keep jumping off the top floor. If a player decides to get addicted to an MMO and kill themselves playing it, it's their fucking responsibility (or their parents' responsibility if they're children). Taking out the "addictive" out of MMO is like taking the guns out of first person shooters.

This is just another example of orders coming from old people in high places and "researchers" who don't know a single thing about gaming, nerd culture, etc and most likely don't want to know due to not giving two shits.

I mean look at this drivel:
"One idea could be to shorten long quests to minimize the time spent in the game obtaining a certain prized item."
Then it wouldn't be a prized item would it, since practically every player and their baby would be able to obtain it? MMO 101?

MMO's are supposed to be a test of goal-setting and long-term-rewards. You work hard now and get rewarded later, you slog through content now and get rewarded with your prize, you struggle for endless hours to kill that ultra-elite-hardmode boss and he might drop something really awesome for you at the END.

That's the entire fun aspect, that's what attracts so many players. Yes it's not fun for some people, but that's why other types of games exist - that's the cool thing about gaming, there are different GENRES to satisfy everyone.