Crytek Suffers Security Breach, User Info May Be Compromised

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crytek Suffers Security Breach, User Info May Be Compromised

Crytek.com and other related sites have been taken offline following a weekend security breach that may have exposed user account information.

The websites Crytek.com, Crydev.net, Mycryengine.com and Mycrysis.com have been taken down after an attack by hackers over the weekend. "We recently became aware of suspicious activity relating to some of Crytek's websites, and acted quickly to take those websites offline for security reasons," the studio said in an email sent to account holders.

"If you have an account at crydev.net or mycrysis.com, you will be asked to change your password next time you log in. If you use your current password anywhere else online, we would also suggest that you reset it at those sites," it continued. "We are working on getting all websites fully operational again as soon as possible. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience."

The extent of the breach isn't yet clear but Crytek told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-05-crytek-pulls-websites-after-suspicious-activity-detected] that user account information may have been accessed. "Although it is uncertain whether the incident led to the copying and decryption of email addresses and passwords, it is possible that users with accounts at these websites have had personal data copied," the studio said. Crytek began contacting affected users about the breach on Friday.

"Final details of when our sites will be back online will be communicated as soon as possible," Crytek said. "We're currently doing everything in our power to ensure our sites and, more importantly, our users, are not affected by such issues in future."

So. Your passwords, people. Change 'em.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Yeah MyCrysis.com has been down for 5 days straight, it's BY FAR the longest site outage I have ever seen related to Crysis.

I'm really not surprised they've had a hacker attack. They have really pissed-off the multiplayer community with the completely abandonment of the previous game (Crysis 2) and just over a week ago they announced there would be no more patches for Crysis 3 Multiplayer - the state of the game is still pretty damn broken with a lot of bugs that need fixing and weapons which need balancing.

The most annoying thing is that the multiplayer has so much POTENTIAL, with Quake or Painkiller style ultra-fast-pace run'n'gun fun with crazy weapons. You can be like Spiderman bunny-hopping and climbing vertically all over the maps, most of which are really well designed. Hipfire is super accurate so you don't have to ram the ironsights up your nose every time you want to fire, no Call Of Duty "realism" slowing things down. The only other game that can be compared to it is Tribes Ascend which takes things a step further in terms of speed and crazy weapons.
Probably the biggest *****-slap is that we're still waiting for a true successor to Crysis 1 and Crysis:Wars, this company completely missed what made their first couple of games good.

I'm not sure whether to blame Crytek or EA, since the two basically have to work together to bring us stuff like patches and content. But yeah, I'm really not surprised hackers have attacked all their sites, the multiplayer community has just repeatedly been kicked in the balls.

You could say they're in a bit of a....crysis.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Yuuki said:
I'm not sure whether to blame Crytek or EA, since the two basically have to work together to bring us stuff like patches and content. But yeah, I'm really not surprised hackers have attacked all their sites, the multiplayer community has just repeatedly been kicked in the balls.
We don't know that it's a revenge attack (and even if it were, I'm not sure we should blame anyone but the hacker for inconveniencing other people). It might just be a scoop of identity theft, using current ill-will against Crytek to encourage people to blame the victim.