Former Id Software Creative Director Joins Oculus VR

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Former Id Software Creative Director Joins Oculus VR

Matt Hooper, another id Software alumnus, has joined John Carmack at Oculus VR.

John Carmack you know, but Matt Hooper, maybe not. But he had a lengthy career at id Software, according to his LinkedIn profile [http://www.linkedin.com/in/hoopermatt], starting as a Design Lead in February 2002 and eventually moving up to Design Director and then, in September 2011, to Creative Director. He left the company in February 2013 following the unhappy release of Rage, but now he's hooked up once again with Carmack, this time at Oculus VR, the company behind the Oculus Rift headset.

"We are thrilled to have Matt Hooper join the Oculus VR team as our Director of Development," Oculus VR said in a statement. "Hooper will be working out of the Dallas, TX office. He's a top talent who had been out of id for a few months and ended up being a great fit for the Oculus team."

Hooper joins the company as Director of Development. Prior to his decade at id, Hooper was a producer and designer at Third Law Interactive and, before that, a designer at Ion Storm.

Source: GameFront [http://www.gamefront.com/rage-creative-director-matt-hooper-oculus-vr/]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
So I wonder what iD alum will join Oculus tomorrow? Please let it be John Romero. I wan't him to make VR his *****.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
If Romero joins up, I will order one of those things the same day. Guaranteed*.

(*not guaranteed, but it'd still be pretty cool)

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
I don't mind this website trying to be a little hipsterific, but to report this and NOT John Carmack's departure is, well, I can't put it into words.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Traun said:
I don't mind this website trying to be a little hipsterific, but to report this and NOT John Carmack's departure is, well, I can't put it into words.
Wait! Did Carmack leave ID?! I thought he only joined the team as a side project, not actually leaving ID.