American Express Co-Ops League of Legends With Riot Point Bonuses

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
American Express Co-Ops League of Legends With Riot Point Bonuses

Would you like some Riot Points? Would you like an American Express card?

Riot Games' League of Legends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125949-League-of-Legends-Recognized-by-U-S-as-Legitimate-Sport] has its fans, and there's a good chance a lot of them are about to welcome a new credit card into their wallets. American Express, in its latest attempt to woo consumers, has announced the launch of a Serve Prepaid Account card, each emblazoned with one of four Champions. But if you were thinking that a pretty picture is all you get, not so, as the card holder can earn Riot Points. You get 1,000 Riot Points just for signing up, and each time you load the card with cash - the first time you add $20, the first time you use Direct Deposit to add $20 or more, after you make your first 10 purchases - you get more Points, potentially as much as 13,000 in all if you jump through all of American Express' hoops. After collecting all of those achievements, you earn more Points each time you use the card.

The Serve Prepaid isn't a credit card. You load it up with cash from somewhere else, and then use the card to make purchases. American Express is hoping that this partnership will allow it to "expand our traditional reach beyond the mass affluent," according to American Express' Stefan Happ. American Express is looking at the game's 32 million player base - worldwide - and thinking that now might be the time to grab a little of that 18 to 24 year old audience. "We are about loyalty, we are about contact and long-lasting engagement," says Happ. "This is an ideal fit from an audience perspective." It's even gone so far as to become an official payment partner for the League Championship Series, and the official partner for World Championship.

So, fancy Teemo, Vi, Lux, Twisted Fate, the Summoner's Cup or the League of Legends logo in your wallet? Sign up for American Express' latest. Thousands of Riot Points could be yours - a $100 value, more or less - plus, of course, plenty more in the future should you keep using the card.

Source: New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/business/media/amex-links-a-debit-card-to-an-online-video-game.html?_r=4&]

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
That's oddly forward-thinking for AMex. I wonder if there's a special points bonus for buying Riot points with it... meta.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Alright, stop the bus! This is getting out of hand! Riot! Riot stop! What are you doing!?

Just you guys wait! Riot'll become the new Apple! Hell, the new Google! Next thing we know it'll offer us free skins if we sign up for RFID chip implants and sell us out to the government!

THE END IS NIGH!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Meanwhile, in Europe...

Yeah what was that about EU West being the fastest growing AKA BEST server of them all? We don't get Teemo cards. Though i'd be more of a TF guy because Teemo just has a face I could punch endlessly and never get tired of it.

Anyway where's the Pulsefire Ezreal splash art card? Keep up.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Meanwhile, in Europe...

Yeah what was that about EU West being the fastest growing AKA BEST server of them all? We don't get Teemo cards. Though i'd be more of a TF guy because Teemo just has a face I could punch endlessly and never get tired of it.

Anyway where's the Pulsefire Ezreal splash art card? Keep up.
American Express cards aren't limited by country, I would expect the European branch of AMex to offer these cards soon enough. I'm suprised that Vi is one of the four champs offered though, I barely ever saw her while I still played.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
.....I feel silly about this, but I actually needed to get a card soon and haha, well why the heck not?

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
NYYYEH, I want mine with either Tryndamere, Amumu, Mundo or Fiddlesticks...

But, In all seriousness, I think, that the way the author said,
Karloff said:
to grab a little of that 18 to 24 year old audience.
is not the entire story. I reckon, since these are prepaid cards, it would make sense to give these to kids (IMHO that's the bulk of the League player base), so that they have their money and RP. If I had a kid, I would do that. The kid would have his pretty card with the pocket money, and I would have my free RP. :D

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I signed up for this because there are no fees unlike my current provider and so Serve was a good choice for me. The fact that you get riot points with it is a bonus but if I remember correctly it to spend about $1000 to get even about three dollars worth of riot points. So really its just there for the signup bonuses and not much else.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
You get up to 13,000 riot points. That's around 90-95 dollars worth of Riot points. The sign up bonus alone only gives you less then 10 dollars of the stuff.

Cute, but I don't want another credit card if all you're offering is a ten dollar signing bonus.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
At the risk of looking like my priorities are a little messed up here...

What a rubbish choice of champion options. >.>

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
You get up to 13,000 riot points. That's around 90-95 dollars worth of Riot points. The sign up bonus alone only gives you less then 10 dollars of the stuff.

Cute, but I don't want another credit card if all you're offering is a ten dollar signing bonus.
It's not a credit card, it's a debit card. You can't gain or lose credit rating with a debit card because you can't go into debt on it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
maddawg IAJI said:

It's not a credit card, it's a debit card. You can't gain or lose credit rating with a debit card because you can't go into debt on it.
Regardless, I don't want a prepaid debit card, as it offers less benefits than one from an actual bank.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Free shit from a pre-paid debit card. I like it. I'll need to look into the details on things like minimum balances and potential fees, but I like the idea.