EventHubs Ranks The Most-Played Fighters, Characters

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
EventHubs Ranks The Most-Played Fighters, Characters

The fighting game devotees at EventHubs have crunched the numbers on which games and which characters everyone's playing, and the results will probably not surprise you much.

EventHubs is arguably the best resource for information on the world of fighting games. It's where the hardcore set goes to learn new techniques and trade ideas amongst themselves. As a result, when EventHubs polls its patrons, it's taking a very realistic pulse of the entire fighting game community. To that end, the site decided to ask its readers which games they play most often, and which characters they use in those games.

After polling tens of thousands of fighting game fans, the results are more or less what anyone familiar with the fighting game scene would expect. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v2012 is the most played title by a sizable margin, followed by Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter X Tekken. Capcom continues its domination with Street Fighter III: Third Strike in the list's fourth spot, while Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Injustice: Gods Among Us round out the top six.

As far as popular characters, it doesn't get any bigger than Street Fighter's Ryu. The white gi-clad fighter ranks as the most-played character in Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v2012 and Street Fighter X Tekken, while he slips to second place in Street Fighter III: Third Strike behind the exceedingly similar Ken. Dr. Doom takes top honors in the Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 roster, while Asuka and Batman are the most popular characters in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Injustice: Gods Among Us respectively.

The rankings EventHubs has compiled go into far more depth than we have room for here, so we'd recommend paying the site a visit. Maybe you'll learn something about your favorite character's competitive viability, or maybe you'll just start to hate how risk-averse Street Fighter fans have become in the face of new characters. Either way, it's a useful infographic.

Source: EventHubs [http://www.eventhubs.com/stats/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If they did this poll for BlazBlue it would be full of ice cars and INFERNO DIIIIVVVVVIIIIDERRRR!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I'm really shocked to learn that SFxT is in the top 3. I was under the assumption that it did not do particularly well. Guess that's what I get for assuming stuff, eh?

Also sad to see INJUSTICE ranked out of the top 5, but not surprising. Capcom's ability to make fighters is impressive still, even after all these years.

As someone who started out playing in the arcades and went through the Fighting game boom of the early 90s, it's good to see that these styles of games have lived on. I just wish my aging aching hands could still play them with any amount of efficiency. :p

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
cursedseishi said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I'm really shocked to learn that SFxT is in the top 3. I was under the assumption that it did not do particularly well. Guess that's what I get for assuming stuff, eh?

Also sad to see INJUSTICE ranked out of the top 5, but not surprising. Capcom's ability to make fighters is impressive still, even after all these years.

As someone who started out playing in the arcades and went through the Fighting game boom of the early 90s, it's good to see that these styles of games have lived on. I just wish my aging aching hands could still play them with any amount of efficiency. :p
Correction. Capcom's ability to make Street Fighters is impressive. That's about the only fighting game, or even franchise in general, that they really care about.

The rest are all under-advertised (ala the "failed" Darkstalkers game), or... well... just under-everything (anything Non-SF). It's also the only franchise of theirs that they will never hand out to 3rd party developers, and for obvious reasons.
Well that's a fair enough point.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:

SFxT defintitely did come out to a major response and then major apathy when players felt the game was too boring and slow, with a propensity to end in Timeouts instead of Knockouts. The major snafu of being caught with a ton of completed on disc content that they later sold as separate "DLC" didn't help. Capcom did put some major work into a huge patch for the game, though, and it has proven to have a bit longer of a tail than first appeared likely. It's still very much a "I'll play it because I'm at the tournament anyway" style of game and far too many players still play it like SF4 instead of it's own game, but it's got some life at least. Honestly, and as someone who is actually a fan of properly played SFxT, I think this really just shows how dominant Capcom is in the fighting game realm. I don't care for Injustice at all, and TTT2 is a faily niche game even amongst fighters, but there's really little reason why SFxT and SF3:3S should still be ranked above other games in the genre when it comes to playerbase.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
*checks the poll results on the website* Awwwwww, no love for Dead or Alive 5. I still say it's the best, most balanced fighting game out there...sadly no one can take it seriously due to the....bounciness of its fighters. u.u

While it did make the Top 20, I find it surprising that Soul Calibur 5 beat it...everyone that I've talked to, at least, says that game fucking sucks.

Rin Tezuka

Dec 9, 2012
Sucks to see characters like Viewtiful Joe and M.O.D.O.K in the least used pile in Marvel 3. Both of them are considered really good, but the main mentality in the game today is to stick with the same old top tiers and never leave your comfort zone. Maybe when a patch finally graces the game that'll change.

Since I'm one of the only 5 people who still plays Playstation All-Stars, it's also bad to see Toro at the bottom too. He got a slight nerf and since it took away his more ridiculous stuff, everyone just stopped using him because they didn't want to put in the extra effort. At least Fat Princess and Sir Daniel are getting more popular from what the data shows.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Fappy said:
If they did this poll for BlazBlue it would be full of ice cars and INFERNO DIIIIVVVVVIIIIDERRRR!
Time for a Blazblue joke.

What car brand does ICECARZ Jin Kisaragi drive?

Answer:A NISSAN!

.....I will show myself out.

OT: Hmmm, Looking at the Blazblue results and I see that Ragna is on the top.

No surprise there. But Noel and Makout being in 2nd and 3rd place certainly is, Atleast to me.

I would have guessed that Jin would be in 2nd place.

Also Tager is in 5th, FUCK YEAH! Magnetic brofist to all other Tager players.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
EventHubs is arguably the best resource for information on the world of fighting games.
'Arguably' is right. It's a decent site for game news but if one is looking for information on a given game beyond combo videos or promotional trailers there are many, many better resources to go to. For those who care:

Shoryuken.com - mostly Capcom fighting games but there are (moderately) active sub-forums for pretty much every current generation fighting game.

Testyourmight.com - Mortal Kombat and Injustice: Gods Among Us

Dustloop.com - Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Skullgirls*, Persona 4 Arena

HomingCancel.com - Arcana Heart

DreamCancel.com - King of Fighters

MayonokaMidnight.com - Persona 4 Arena

FreeStepDodge.com - Dead of Alive

There are probably a few more that I'm missing but all of these sites are going to provide better and more in depth information of the games that they've chosen to focus on than Eventhubs will.

*I think/know that there's a Skullgirls specific site I just don't remember what it's called

It's where the hardcore set goes to learn new techniques and trade ideas amongst themselves.
Haha. No. There's a good reason that the site is nicknamed 'Eventscrubs' and that is because its user-base/community is among the winiest and least informed community within the entirety of the fighting game community.