Xbox One's Big Gamescom Exclusive May be a Kinect Fighter

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xbox One's Big Gamescom Exclusive May be a Kinect Fighter

Fighter Within is reportedly an Ubisoft fighting game that makes extensive use of the Xbox One's Kinect.

Microsoft Fusible [http://www.oxm.co.uk/60437/features/xbox-ones-next-exclusive-what-could-microsofts-gamescom-announcement-be/] may have just spilled the beans on said exclusive, revealing the Google cache of something called Fighter Within, an Ubisoft-published Xbox One fighting game that makes extensive use of the console's Kinect sensor.

Fighter Within is reportedly a "total-body combat experience, "involving kicks, punches, counters, throws, combos and special moves. Players will be able to use the environment to their advantage by collecting "totems and position them wisely in the arena to power up" attacks. It certainly fits the 'unique' qualifier that Microsoft was boasting about, but it's probably not the game hardcore gamers were hoping it may be.

Other features captured from the game's Google cache include local and online multiplayer, and "kick-ass motion recognition". I wonder how long until all the lawsuits of people punching through their TV screens, or kids kicking their friend's teeth out, start rolling in?

Despite the website only being up breifly, Ubisoft does indeed own the trademarks for Fighter Within along with the website FighterWithinGame.com, so all signs point to this being a real thing. Whether or not it is the unique exclusive Microsoft was talking about will just have to wait until Gamescom.

Source: Polygon [http://fusible.com/2013/08/google-cache-reveals-info-on-ubisofts-next-gen-game-fighter-within/]

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I'm going to just get it out of the way up front: a Kinect controlled fighting game would be one of the worst fighting games ever made.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Vivi22 said:
I'm going to just get it out of the way up front: a Kinect controlled fighting game would be one of the worst fighting games ever made.
Indeed. Absolutely zero feedback given to your input requests, unless you're actually gut-punching your sibling; in which case it'd be one of the best fighting games ever made.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Any Kinect controlled game would be one of the worst game of its genre.

I'm noticing a pattern with Ubisoft. It's like they can't wait to make a lackluster launch game whenever there's a new system.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
The only way this game would be fun is to watch someone else play it from the other room, so you're out of range of course.

How the hell would it even work though since you're obviously not making contact with anything even though your in game character would be, thus changing body positions etc.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Vivi22 said:
The only possible pro I can imagine for this is shouting "HADOKEN!".

OT: I can only image how the FGC[footnote]Fighting Game Community[/footnote] are going to react to this.
MS would be laughed out of the building if they tried to make it tournament viable.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Could work if it was done in the style the 'Just Dance' games are done. Instead of dancing to music, the character would throw out jabs and kicks during a battle scenario.

Not that hard to input techniques like jab, 1-2 punch, straight, cross, uppercut, haymaker, face palm, double palm, vertical chop, neck chop, rib shot, back fist, back hand, back knuckle, shoulder charge, push, tiger scratch, snake poke, crane fingers, eye jab, throat grab, overheard hammer fist, hammer groin, ear clap, straight blast, side kick, roundhouse, hop kick, thrust heel, crescent, ax kick, rear kick, knee jab, knee blast, reverse round house, front kick, flying kick, back step, groin kick, hooker kick, ankle kick, front step, side step, change stance, face guard in, center guard out, groin guard, high guard, hip toss, choke hold ...to name a few

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Vivi22 said:
Any Kinect controlled game would be one of the worst game of its genre.
Except dancing games. Those have generally gone well.

........most of the time.....

........some of the time........

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
That's good news for Sony then. People will need to replace those broken TVs. This game sounds wrong on so many levels, you just know that there wasn't a single gamer in that room when then decided to make it.

Diablo1099 said:
Vivi22 said:
The only possible pro I can imagine for this is shouting "HADOKEN!".

OT: I can only image how the FGC[footnote]Fighting Game Community[/footnote] are going to react to this.
MS would be laughed out of the building if they tried to make it tournament viable.
I doubt that they're making it for the FGC. Sounds like another gimmicky Kinect game for casual gamers.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Definitely not aiming for the fighting game community with this one, I mean they get pissed off with games like MK and Tekken have modes other than practice, arcade ladder and online.

Still I think this will be that Kinect Tank game all over again.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Doom972 said:
I doubt that they're making it for the FGC. Sounds like another gimmicky Kinect game for casual gamers.
Eh, in that case, So long as they keep this away from the new Killer Instinct.
While I too was worried about it being made by MS-Rare and Double Helix, after watching coverage of it over the past few months, I have high hopes for that game.

I won't be able to play it as it'll only be on X-bone, but I'd watch it at EVO :D

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
y'know, it's kind of amusing at how despite MS and some 3rd parties being enamored with the Kinect they never, ever seem to be able to put forth any effort on any games for it. They clearly WANT it to have killer apps, but then they completely halfass said apps. It's such a disparity between intentions and executions, like they don't realize that in order ot make something work you have to keep testing it.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So what is the unique part? I just googled 'kinect fighting game' and found a few already exist, so being a fighting game clearly isn't the unique factor. Also it's a kinect game AND a launch title, so it will probably be shit. They should have stuck with Wii Sports Kinect Sports boxing.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'm thinking of a more involved wii-sports boxing game as well, rather than you're traditional 'fighter' game like Street Fighter or Tekken.

And hey that could be a lot of fun, personally I loved Wii boxing. it's just a stretch to call it you're "big exclusive", but I'm guessing that's a whole lot of speculation on the article/authors part.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Wheeeeeeee. Well this will be one XBone exclusive nobody's going to be jealous of.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Good strategy:

1) Announce that you no longer need a Kinect plugged in to work
2) Make all your first big games require a Kinict, so people plug it in, and more casual people never turn it off/disconnect it.
3) Profit!

That is, good strat for Microsoft. For me? Just makes me even less likely to ever buy one.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
This will fuck up for so many reasons.

1. Liitle kids will play and actually beat each other up - insert more whiny American moms complaining of games.
2. People will take out bystanders whilst playing.
3. (non-fitness buff) People wont be able to play the game more than 3 hours at a time without wearing themselves out.
4. Shits going to get broken.
5. Sensors will read people wrong.