Fable Legends Announced As Xbox One Exclusive

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Fable Legends Announced As Xbox One Exclusive

Fable Legends features five-player multiplayer, with four players playing as the heroes, and one as the mastermind villain.

"Every fable needs a hero," explains the announcement trailer for Fable Legends, "and every legend needs a villain." Microsoft has announced a new installment in the Fable series at this year's Gamescom in Germany, as a co-op (and not-so-co-op) action-rpg: Fable Legends. The game casts you as one of four different heroes, with three friends filling the shoes of the rest. Its twist comes with the addition of a fifth player, who plays the dungeon master style "villain," viewing the map from a top-down perspective and placing enemies, traps, ambushes and more for the heroes to overcome.

Although it isn't Fable 4, Fable Legends is a fully-fledged entry in the Fable series that is set during Albion's age of heroes - 400 years before the events of the first game. The four playable heroes revealed fit your standard RPG archetypes - a swift and stealthy rogue, a ranged archer who uses a crossbow, an ice sorceress, and a sword and shield wielding female knight.

Fable Legends will be an Xbox One exclusive title, that "takes advantage of the graphical processing power of Xbox One," and runs on the Unreal 4 engine. It makes extensive use the Xbox One's cloud capabilities and as such will only be playable online.

The trailer, which you can check out above, is all CG, and doesn't actually show us any gameplay, but it still looks like it's going to be a pretty neat game. Is this the Xbox One exclusive you guys have been waiting for?

Source: Xbox Youtube Channel [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6VsmYKDuKg]

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
It's an interesting idea and it's something I would like to try but I'm not too into multiplayer only games. Will look forward to seeing some gameplay footage though.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Neat. Kind of sounds like that DungeonLand game that came out a while back, but with an established IP. Which could help it or hinder it. I like the idea though.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Interesting but I?m afraid there seems to be a game breaker for me right there.
This game is multiplayer only? ? If so then well? have fun.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
... Didn't Shamus Young come up with this exact idea, for the Wii U? Four heroes and a gm. I could swear he did an Experienced Points column over it.
Either way, sounds cool. But I imagine it's Xbox Live only, which rules me out, having <800 kilobyte/sec internet speeds on a good day.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
SamtheDeathclaw said:
... Didn't Shamus Young come up with this exact idea, for the Wii U? Four heroes and a gm. I could swear he did an Experienced Points column over it.
Either way, sounds cool. But I imagine it's Xbox Live only, which rules me out, having <800 kilobyte/sec internet speeds on a good day.
Actually it was penny-arcade which had the idea, back in 2012:

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Actually it was penny-arcade which had the idea, back in 2012:
I don't read Penny Arcade, but apparently I saw that one. Huh. Interesting.

Alright, good to know. My memory has once again proved to be entirely fallible! Huzzah!

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I was moderately interested (be the villain, you say?) until I realized it was multiplayer focused.

Also, I'm pretty curious to know exactly how "cloud computing" is required for anything in this (or any other) game, but only because I know the "feature" is 100% bullshit.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Oh come on, female knight - clearly the tanky class - is covered in armour in all areas apart from fully exposed legs.

You know it's bad when the only game to make a tanky female in practical armour is Dragon Age II.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Quite a funny trailer and odd that they set the game to be a prequel to the series but that doesn't bother me.

I do hope though that I can play the game mostly for single player but I might opt for co-op.

Good to see it's exclusive.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Wasn't there already a game pretty much like this called Gauntlet? (In fact, wasn't there a Gauntlet Legends too?) Well, I guess this one adds the Overlord-style bad guy mechanic as well...

Regardless, the thing I like about Fable is the ability to be anyone I want to create and look however I want to look. This game sounds like it offers you the chance to be any ONE of four people IT created and look exactly however they already look. Or you can play the boring part and be the bad guy who has to do the hard work of making the game fun for the other four guys.

Pass.

--Morology!

DaedricDuke

Apr 9, 2013
It has the Fable art style, but not very Fabley. Shields and large crossbows like that just don't fit in the Fable universe, as does the mages fancy outfit. Of course I'm just nit-picking.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Man, I can't even bring myself to care about Fable anymore, certainly not the last two Kinect-laden iterations of it. I MIGHT pick up the last one with a Kinect from the local pawnshop (bundle is 50 bucks), but a system seller this is not.

Now, if Molyneux and Co create the Fable we've all been waiting for (the persistent changing open world extravaganza), I'll be back to the table. As it stands, while these iterations are interesting, I (personally) don't find them very compelling.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
BigTuk said:
Okay, it sounds great, sound's kick ass really but remember this is a Fable Game and thus means Peter Molyneux . When has this guy ever delivered on his promises?
Molyneux left Lionhead and Microsoft ages ago. He's not there to fuck with this one. However, I'm afraid the damage he caused is far too deep to ever be reversed. We will never have a new Fable like the original and Lost Chapters. Oh well, there's always the HD release to look forward to.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
*waves his hand*
These aren't the exclusives you're waiting for.
Although to be fair the ps4 hasn't got any exclusives I'm overly bothered about either (yet).

...maybe the Bungie exclusive, Destiny, I need to see more before I'm sold on it.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Is this why Pete was being nice about the Xbone, he wants his baby to do well whilst he is gone? And even though it looks interesting, the fact it's on the Xbone means I'm not going to play it. Plus mandatory multiplayer is kind of a turn off even if it did find it's way to PC or PS4.

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
Pretty disappointed. The Trailer looked brilliant, and the characters were fantastic in their portrayals/animation even if just in the context of a CG Trailer. But I absolutely despise games that are built solely around the supposed Multiplayer/Always Online/Co-Op cash cow. There really wasn't any reason this couldn't have had some form of single player campaign even with it's TableTop D&D mechanics. Much like with TitanFall, the game being focused on Multiplayer and throwing single/casual play out the window is baffling to me. Still, as others have pointed out, I'll be sure to check out gameplay when it comes to YouTube. At least I can admire the visual design. Especially that Ice Sorceress. Here's to hoping we get a sexy Wallpaper ;)