Remaking the 90s

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Remaking the 90s

While we're remaking everything else from the early 90s, Yahtzee tells us about a few more deserving gems.

Read Full Article

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
There was actually a Lemmings reboot a few years ago by the guys who make Worms. I don't know if it was any good.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
In the 90s I spent as lot of time playing RTS games. Mostly Command and Conquer and StarCraft. If any franchise needed a complete overhaul at this point, it's probably CnC. But I would never trust EA to do it with any level of class or elan. Why bother with effort when we can just punish paying customers by calling it an MMO, right?

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
I was actually thinking about Diggers earlier on. It's a great little game until your guys start doing their own thing, at which point it all goes to shit.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
For me the rule would be "remake shit that was obviously trying to do something that the technology at the time didnt allow creating an end result that managed to be good but could offer much more". The key here is "could offer much more".

A lot of games back then still suck in the controls and interface departments, some games could earn a remake just on that, I tried to play Realms of the Haunted or something like that a few months ago and the controls were abysmal.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
Games I would like to see with updated graphics / sound / etc:
XWing / Tie Fighter
Crusader
A *good* remake of the original Alone in the Dark

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
One 90s game I want to see a modern angle on would be Actraiser. Doesn't even have to be an official reboot, since the license I believe is lost somewhere in SqureEnix' catacombs. Just team up Platinum Games or Sony Santa Monica with Fraxis or Kaplyso and have them make an interlocked Devil May Cry/Tropico game.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
Good lord, Yahtzee just came up with a single-player game that can actually justify being on the WiiU!
I want this game now. Also good excuse to buy Pikmin 3 (and by extension the Wii U)

Also, thanks Yahtzee, you made me momentarily forget I was at work with the "...first ever game to simulate the bureaucracy surrounding incredibly fucked up situations?" line. It felt good.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I just gotta say; that Floor 13 idea seems brilliant. Something I'd actually want to play on the Wii U.

Although a similar game along the lines of Digital: A Love Story would also be neat, but maybe a bit weird and niche. I can't imagine all that many people would like to play a game that would be, in a sense, an office job simulator.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Also Strife needs some retro love'n too.
Now there's a name I haven't heard in ages. If we're talking about Doom engine stuff might as well toss Heretic and Hexen on the list too.

bigdork

Nov 9, 2010
I don't have a Wii U, but I'd expect that people spend most of their time looking at the big screen. That should have the document processing in his last game, and the little screen should have the execution scenes. The game should make it easy to look away, while making you conscious of the fact that you aren't looking at the little screen because you don't want to see what's there.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
You're spot on about the atmosphere. It was both dark and morbid, but also slighty jovial. If they could get that right, I would definitely buy it.

NihilCredo

Jan 19, 2009
For those who want to check out Floor 13, it's available on Abandonia.net: http://www.abandonia.com/games/140

It's really a beautiful game. Rather hard, too.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
A proper sequel to Dark Forces 2 (the 3rd person followup games were good but nowhere near the epicness of DF2). Also Outlaws needs a modern remake. The soundtrack is just haunting...seriously listen:

Grand Theft Auto 2 (top down carnage).

Great timing for article. Flashback remake is coming out tomorrow!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
When Yahtzee mentioned Diggers, I thought of Dig-Dug. This Papers, Please and Floor 13 business sounds great, like a cartoonishly evil kind of game like Evil Genius. I don't think the latest Tomb Raider is a reboot, because it's more of a prequel they just didn't feel like making up a new title for. Odd how there's no mention of Mortal Kombat.