Battlefield 4 Premium Details Emerge

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Battlefield 4 Premium Details Emerge

As with Battlefield 3, EA is offering a Premium service for Battlefield 4 which offers a discounted price on the game's inevitable expansion packs alongside a number of other extras.

Battlefield 4 debuts on October 29, and if you're willing to shell out a bit of extra cash, you can get the game and all five of its upcoming expansions in one purchase. Here's how it works: You spend $60 on Battlefield 4 which gives you access to the core game itself, then if you spend an additional $50 on the Premium program you're granted access to the following goodies:

Battlefield 4 Premium membership includes five digital expansion packs featuring new multiplayer maps and in-game content:

Battlefield 4 Second Assault - Includes four fan-favorite Battlefield 3™ maps now re-imagined with the power of Frostbite 3. Available first on Xbox One.

Battlefield 4 China Rising - Players fight for dominance across the vast and majestic Chinese mainland. Available December 2013.

Battlefield 4 Naval Strike - Experience dynamic ocean combat as the Chinese armada takes the fight to the sea. Available Spring 2014.

Battlefield 4 Dragon's Teeth - The US strikes back engaging in all-out urban warfare. Available Summer 2014.

Battlefield 4 Final Stand - Bring the war to its epic conclusion. Available Summer 2014.

- Two-weeks early access to all expansion packs for that competitive edge

- Unique personalization options including camos, paints, emblems, dogtags and more

- Priority position in server queues

- New content every week

- 12 bonus Battlefield 4 Battlepacks

Further, EA has also announced a new beta test for Battlefield 4, which is slated to begin in "early October." This test will be offered exclusively to owners of Battlefield 3 Premium, those who have pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe edition of Battlefield 4 and owners of Medal of Honor Warfighter Digital Deluxe and Medal of Honor Warfighter Limited Edition.

"But what if I buy Battlefield 4 for the Xbox 360, then purchase an Xbox One and want to play the game on that new console?" EA has you covered there. According to the publisher, if you find yourself upgrading systems your Battlefield 4 stats and Premium membership will transfer to the new version of the game.

Expect more information on those expansion packs to appear as we near their respective release dates.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
The problem with this whole system is when the community shrinks suddenly it becomes impossible to find a server that runs the expansions and has a nice amount of players. Last time I tried playing on a server that ran some of the bigger maps that came with Armored Kill, I couldn't find one. Most servers stay on vanilla so they don't have to worry about only getting a fraction of players.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Coach Morrison said:
The problem with this whole system is when the community shrinks suddenly it becomes impossible to find a server that runs the expansions and has a nice amount of players. Last time I tried playing on a server that ran some of the bigger maps that came with Armored Kill, I couldn't find one. Most servers stay on vanilla so they don't have to worry about only getting a fraction of players.
Funny, most servers I saw require you to HAVE ALL DLCs...

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Are we getting a pen knife this time? And that new content every week, is that going to be more HD wallpapers that are absolutely useless?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Taking bets now on how long it is before that is changed to North Korea rising!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Fan favorite BF3 maps? All the vanilla maps are hopeless. The most popular map is a broken stat padding clusterfuck. Also I see they are including another COD map pack.
I think I'll hold off on this for a bit for more details despite having pre ordered.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I hate having to pay almost full price again for full content. Ioved bf3 but wouldnt get premium on principle. Only bought the karkland map pack and nothing else.

May switch to cod. Are activision doing the same sort of thing?

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
got BF3, and have not played it in a year now. Feel like a wasted my money on that and having to deal with Origin. They can make it sound as great as they want, fact is people are getting board or at least i am of the same old modern warfare shooter. Nothing ive seen from BF4 looks all that much of a leap from BF3, why blow money on this ? Feel bad for everyone who paid max price for everything on BF3 all wasted once BF4 comes out and everyone jumps ship.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
bjj hero said:
May switch to cod. Are activision doing the same sort of thing?
They tried it with Call of Duty Elite and it's subscription on top of buying the game, they reverted back to charging $15 for some maps every couple of months after a year.

I'm waiting for the BF4: Premium edition to land, it happened with BF3 and for the price of one game it's very good value, but buying first the game, then premium on top is way too expensive.

The whole 'premium' thing is just way to raise game prices by the back door. Activision have effectively been selling CoD for $120 the last few years too. BF3 is a small, dull game without the 20 extra maps and half dozen game modes in the expansions, not to mention the weapons that in some cases offer a significant advantage.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ah, shit, I hate this. Battlefield has always been one of my favourite series and definitely my favourite online shooter (I like big maps, tactical diversity and such that comes with vehicles), but the Premium crap ruined the BF3 experience for me.

I loved the game at the start, but then they threw out a CoD map pack (CQ) that's not about why I play the BF series (and with already owning Karkand, having pre-ordered, that meant Premium wasn't a money saver, it was either breaking even with a map pack I don't enjoy or extra cost). And I wouldn't mind, each to their own, but when they added Premium and specifically, the server queue priority, I regretted getting the Armored Kill map pack - turns out "Server Queue priority" is actually "there are Premium servers you can't access at all without Premium membership" and since those were usually the most populated servers, it translated into too much waiting time to get a game going.

I don't mind the DLC map packs (although I do think they're obscenely expensive and just a money grab), but Premium doesn't let you choose which to get and the "perks" are too much with the server queues. I don't mind weapon packs, earlier access, I don't care - I'll level at my own pace and get there sooner or later and BF has a record for giving you decent weapons at the start, so you're never at too much disadvantage. But not actually letting me play the game I paid for is a step too far.

Epidemiix

Custom Title Yay!
Jan 3, 2012
Desert Punk said:
I still have no idea how they thought that BF4 was a good idea. Seriously, they JUST released a modern Battlefield that still has a pretty good population.

The smart money would say to release something like 2143 or another WW2 version just so you arent competing against yourself.

Just imagine how embarrassing it will be if Battlefield 4 sells like shit...precisely because people already have what they want in 3. I dont plan on getting 4 as it has nothing new that interests me other than fully destructible buildings, which aint worth 60 dollars alone and another 50 for a few DLCs.
If they released a 2143, I would be so overly ecstatic. Same if they made a Bad Company 3.

OT: Seems like a pretty good amount of stuff, and I guess that if you really really into the online aspect of the game and were going to be playing it a lot, it could be a great deal.

Though personally I can not see myself shelling out an extra 50 dollars for a game that I do not know is even good, yet alone if I will be playing online for that much.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I got the basic version of BF3 om the recent Humble Bundle. It's fun, but I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it anyway, since it's basically a multi-player-only game (the single-player campaign is not worth playing more than once and it's very short).

I'm guessing BF4 wouldn't be very different. You have to really love this game to spend $110.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
ok, sounds all nice but does it mean i have to pay again for premium for this game?? im already a premium member for BF3. plus, i have already pre ordered a physical copy of BF4 that already includes the china map. so does it mean i have to wait till december before i can play china??
im really confused now.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Epidemiix said:
Same if they made a Bad Company 3.
Dunno, BC series always felt like a shallower version of BF to me, dunno what you see in a potential BC3 that you wouldn't have in BF4 (unless you really hate airplanes or love the BC singleplayer?). I prefer the whole "full scale battlefield" thing.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I got BF3 from a friend from the Humble Bundle.
I have to say that I just wasted 20 GB of my unlimited bandwidth.

And considering the trend of the modern shooter, I wouldn't get BF4 even if EA payed me to play it.

BF3 is just awful. The character moves as if he was legless, the gun covers pretty much 1/3 of the screen as if anyone holds the gun like that, the effects make it impossible to know what the fuck is going on and the fact that I have to lunch the game from my fucking web browser doesn't do it a favor.

So in short, I wouldn't get BF4 even if EA payed me.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
How long before China complains about the usage of China in the new Battlefield and they end up changing it to something like DPRK?

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
They want you to buy a $60 + $50 of content without seeing the game. $110 for a FPS, broshooterdude game that will probably be ... mostly brown. And rely on their servers while not reading the fine print that says they are not required to actually deliver any DLC at all if anything bad happens while keeping the money. Not to mention that the game will ship with bugs, none of which will be fixed until the next DLC is dropped because they want to save $40K. Ooh, so expensive to their huge corporate wallets.

Nope.

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
octafish said:
Fan favorite BF3 maps? All the vanilla maps are hopeless. The most popular map is a broken stat padding clusterfuck. Also I see they are including another COD map pack.
I think I'll hold off on this for a bit for more details despite having pre ordered.
heh Operation Cluster#@$! I agree that map is ridiculous. Far too much advantage given to the team who can cap their flag nearest to base and B.

But really what is wrong with Caspian Border? What is wrong with Operation Firestorm? What is wrong with Damavanad (spelling fail) Peak?

Also sometimes people want to play without vehicles. What is so wrong with making some maps that specifically cater to that?

Darkness665 said:
They want you to buy a $60 + $50 of content without seeing the game. $110 for a FPS, broshooterdude game that will probably be ... mostly brown. And rely on their servers while not reading the fine print that says they are not required to actually deliver any DLC at all if anything bad happens while keeping the money. Not to mention that the game will ship with bugs, none of which will be fixed until the next DLC is dropped because they want to save $40K. Ooh, so expensive to their huge corporate wallets.

Nope.
Except we dont have to rely on their servers at all we can play quite happily on community run servers.

Also DICE have proven reliable with their DLC promises. While they do tend to wait a long time to release patches, expecting a game to release with zero bugs is funny.